Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sun 21 March @ 19:30 - Sky | Page 42 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sun 21 March @ 19:30 - Sky

Neither Whelan or Hutton were in our first choice starting XI at the end of the promotion season, so I struggle to see why they would have been good enough in the PL. I agree we probably could have done with more experience last season, but we survived in the end anyway, so that isnt going to improve anything now.
i was using them as example
but i dont think it would hurt to have a few seasoned pros in the team people with some quality like wolves have we went into our first season with only 2 or 3 players that had played prem football in the past and it was a up hill struggle from the start to finish

We have moved from the Championship, to survivors, to mid table. I think the investment must be doing something.

Key now is can we keep hold of players whilst building OR if we sell, sell at top price and re-invest ALL of that money into more quality players. If we don't re-invest sales, as we haven't always before, then we can stop pretending about ambition once and for all. But I think these owners will. Not sure there is much point in them having this club, if we stay say 9th-15th season-in-season-out.
dont forget we have spent close on quarter of a billion since se came up 140ish last season and almost 100 million this season and we still look like a one man team

dont forget we have spent close on quarter of a billion since se came up 140ish last season and almost 100 million this season and we still look like a one man team

If Barkley is worth 40 million and rubbish, how much will we need to spend on a top midfielder? I think we need at least one top player each to replace Anwar, Bert, Luiz and McGinn. So how much money will that cost in total. And most importantly they ALL need to be worth the investment !

Bert marley too me is a total waste of 20 million I would have preferred snodgrass back at a fraction of the price McGinn was a bargain and is a good championship player and a decent squad player in the prem but is no where near as good as he was Anwar again is OK to come off the bench as he is the only player that don't mind getting a shot away
I think we have done too much shopping in the championship and over seas and konsa and cash are good players and are learning fast you cant help thinking that they were thrown in the deep end
Watkins was a winger and became a striker to fill a void at Brentford and is still learning but lacks quality in front of goal and as Good as he has been this season for us he misses some good chances
If Smith is now happy that we will be playing in the prem next season why don't he blood a few of the younger players like Barry because if your good enough your old enough just like greenwood and Rooney and Milner too were all 16 maybe greenwood was 17

I liked how you chose 12 instead of 14 which is the number of games played this season in 2021 and also the half way mark until now to ignore the 2 defeats in those two games you excluded to make the stats look better for your argument !

15 points from the last 14 games is relegation form, let’s hope we pick up more than 6 points in the next 5 games as that “dip” will then be half a season.

15 points from the last 14 games is relegation form, let’s hope we pick up more than 6 points in the next 5 games as that “dip” will then be half a season.
Next 5 -
Fulham H
Liverpool A
WBA H
Everton A
Utd H
7 points or above would be decent from that

Next 5 -
Fulham H
Liverpool A
WBA H
Everton A
Utd H
7 points or above would be decent from that

7 points from that would be very decent and I’d take that now, unfortunately we probably won’t get anything from Everton, Liverpool or Man Utd unless we get very lucky with our defence holding tight.

Fulham and WBA will want to fight and pick up points like their lives depend on it, they’ll be hard wins if we get them, but wouldn’t surprise me if we didn’t win both of them either, we’ve lost to too many teams below us and I don’t see that stopping.

Fully hope I’m wrong and we can finish the season strongly, perhaps it’s time to bring back training to 10:30am and not allow the “kids” to play war zone until 2am in the morning.

Was away this weekend so couldn't watch it. I just got home and watched the "highlights" on Villa TV. My summary: Jack Woodward is the worst commentator in the history of football....

Pundits on the TV calling it "Clever" and "Cute" when Kane deliberately ran into Cash's space in order to ensure contact.

I call it cheating.

The only good thing to come out of it is that it will teach Cash to stay on his feet when this sort of situation happens again.

Thing is Cash had no option but to try and block the cross, if Kane pings it in the box and they score he gets criticised for not putting a challenge in.
For me VAR should be seeing that he has clearly stepped across in front of the challenge and ignored the ball - if he stays on the same course then fair enough its a foul.
We cant be calling some players out for diving, but other individuals praised as being clever for stepping into a challenge. pretty sure if super Jack had done that there would just be talk about looking for contract rather than being clever

Yup. If Super Jack had done that it might not have even been given. Perceptions isn't it ? Kane is a real big diver but somehow gets portrayed as a bit of a goody goody.

Exactly. Kane and Salah go down just as easy as Jack when they are around the box, but as they are star players of media clubs it gets played down as them being clever. Every club has players that do it to be honest, Vardy is one of the worst for stepping across a chasing defedner in the box

Apart from his overall cheating, I also strongly dislike the way, Kane goes to receive a ball near the penalty box looks around ensuring he is closely marked, and then sticks his big arse into the defender and falls flat on his face which is always protected by his hands held out because he knows he is about to hit the grass.

Spurs play on this tactic to win free-kicks (don't they all) in dangerous positions or to time waste. It's just the particularly sneaky way he actually goes about it whilst still keeping this golden boy of English football tag.

Mind you he's got the ideal manager in Jose Mourinho because the worst cheating side I have ever seen was the Portuguese team, Porto when he was the manager

They were a total disgrace.

Last edited:
Aston Villa's defeat to Tottenham Hotspur last weekend certainly got the juices flowing amongst fans as even the more optimistic and philosophical amongst us, have growing concerns that our form shows little signs of changing - namely because players are still struggling to turn those key moments to our advantage, yet the opposition rarely seem to struggle to take what comes their way.
https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...-never-lasts-as-villa-fall-to-another-defeat/