Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sun 21 March @ 19:30 - Sky | Page 40 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sun 21 March @ 19:30 - Sky

we dont need to spend millions im looking at the likes of johnny evens who cost foxs 3.5 million we need a couple of seasoned pros maybe we should have give hutton and wheelen another season last season instead of going into our first season back in the prem with players that have never played there
its so clear we have not quality going forward when jacks not in the side

Neither Whelan or Hutton were in our first choice starting XI at the end of the promotion season, so I struggle to see why they would have been good enough in the PL. I agree we probably could have done with more experience last season, but we survived in the end anyway, so that isnt going to improve anything now.

Two years ago we were mid-Championship and only a handful of deluded idiots like me were insisting we could still make the playoffs. To get where we are today is the result of something much bigger than small increments of improvement.
No, see that’s what happens when you quote just one piece, and come in mid flow, I didn’t state that there ‘have’ been small increments, I said some are happy with small increments, I’m not, that’s the whole point.

No, see that’s what happens when you quote just one piece, and come in mid flow, I didn’t state that there ‘have’ been small increments, I said some are happy with small increments, I’m not, that’s the whole point.

Splitting hairs, comes to the same thing in my book. If you say some are happy with small increments you're implying there have been small increments.

I’d just read an article which quoted our last 12 games, I didn’t go back to check but you clearly did. Sorry if those stats didn’t suit your argument either. Tell you what, now I’ve had a look at all the results how about taking the other two you want me to add but also include the 5 before that as well when we were unbeaten? But I suppose that’s not fair either....bottom line is that our form is not ‘staring into the abyss’ as was suggested earlier. A cause for concern yes but not as horrendous as some are suggesting.
How does 4 goals in 8 games work for you stats wise ? Whatever way you spin this , current form is relegation fodder

I liked how you chose 12 instead of 14 which is the number of games played this season in 2021 and also the half way mark until now to ignore the 2 defeats in those two games you excluded to make the stats look better for your argument !

OK take 14 games. W4 D3 L7. 15 points from 14 games. That's survival form not relegation form. Noticibly better than we managed last season.

If the worst period we have this season is survival form I'll take that. Clubs hit troughs. Fact. No need to go over the top when we do.

Why are we not talking about the match, the team selection and tactics? Do I take it that all who are happy with our current development would have picked that team last night? Would not have put Davis on earlier, would have picked Trezeguet? Watkins has played every minute and is now a shadow of his earlier self. There are a lot of points to discuss are there not? Indicating where we are in the table is hardly a match analysis.

In the first half of the season everybody (including outsiders) were saying how good our recruitment in the summer was.

And now the same people are saying we are a one man team and a relegation side without Jack. I prefer to see how we have been since the start of the year/half way point until now to see if we are heading in the right direction. It is not really worrying as Jack is expected to be back in the next game so we should be much better than we have been in his absence.

Why are we not talking about the match, the team selection and tactics? Do I take it that all who are happy with our current development would have picked that team last night? Would not have put Davis on earlier, would have picked Trezeguet? Watkins has played every minute and is now a shadow of his earlier self. There are a lot of points to discuss are there not? Indicating where we are in the table is hardly a match analysis.
I've criticised Smith and co for last night, tactics ? Changes ? Game plan ? I think the cracks s are starting to show with the players too now . Little things
OK take 14 games. W4 D3 L7. 15 points from 14 games. That's survival form not relegation form. Noticibly better than we managed last season.

If the worst period we have this season is survival form I'll take that. Clubs hit troughs. Fact. No need to go over the top when we do.
5 points from 6 games and 3 goals. That's relegation form in anybody's language

Ok.
We were fcuking shite.

Right , that’s done . Now, back to the league table :LOL:

Which over 38 games at this rate could mean 41 points, which is just a point over the usual target that clubs set for themselves to avoid relegation? Even if you think that is survival form, do bear in mind that the run has not ended yet, so if this poor form and performance continues then soon we'd be in relegation form, but luckily Jack is expected to be back for the Fulham game so I am confident we at least won't lose IF he has regained his form.

As long as we keep investing we will be fine. Quite simply there's a way to go for us to be a proper top half side, this shouldn't come as a surprise. We over achieved early doors and are now in a slump which is largely driven by the loss of one of the best players in the league.

Keep investing and we will get there, if the likes of McGinn are regulars in two seasons time then there will be problems.

We have moved from the Championship, to survivors, to mid table. I think the investment must be doing something.

Key now is can we keep hold of players whilst building OR if we sell, sell at top price and re-invest ALL of that money into more quality players. If we don't re-invest sales, as we haven't always before, then we can stop pretending about ambition once and for all. But I think these owners will. Not sure there is much point in them having this club, if we stay say 9th-15th season-in-season-out.