Aston Villa v Norwich City Match Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Norwich City Match Thread

10 players out of the 18 man squad still leaves scope for potentially 8 changes.

I think resting Mcginn is a given based on his card situation. I’d rest Grealish to avoid any chance of injury.

I’d also rest Mings as he has previously been very injury prone and has become a key player so now would certainly be a bad time to pick up anything up.

Hutton in for Elmohamady to give Hutton a send off at Villa Park, and get him some minutes in case he is needed at some point. Elmo has been playing every week recently so might need a break

The other players eg Taylor, Adomah, El Ghazi, Green, Hourihane, Tuanzebe have been in and out of the team so shouldn’t particularly need resting

Kalinic
Hutton
Axel
Chester
Hause
Jedi
Green
Lansbury
Hourihane
Adomah
Davis

Enough decent players there to put in a performance. Keeps the likes of steer, mings, super Jack, mcginn and Tammy in cotton wool till the playoffs.

Sarkic

Hutton Axel Jedinak Taylor

Jack Whelan Hourihane

Adoma David El ghazi

Chester, elmo, lansbury, Ramsey, green, tammy and whatever other keeper is 100%

Take Jack off after an hour. Bring on tammy for 20 minutes.

The EFL rule (Regulation 24) which states that clubs are required to play “full strength” teams in all matches “unless some satisfactory reason is given”.

“For any league match played on or after the fourth Thursday in March, any team sheet for a league game should include at least 10 outfield players who featured on the team sheet for the league match before.”

http://bit.ly/2V7toK8

As I said in the other thread, I really want to use that in the headline but I'm not sure exactly what punishment may be handed out lol

Just following the rules, we could field 8 players who weren't in the squad for Leeds. I don't think we will and I wouldn't support it but we could.

Kalanic

Hutton
Elphick
Tuanzebe
Taylor

Hourihane
Lansbury
Whelan

Green
Davis
Adomah

I think we need to put out enough quality for a potential winner/well deserved draw....and give some fitness, sharpness and confidence to the fringe players, who could, come May, be giving us the extra option we might need to see games out.

When the EFL say “who featured on the teamsheet”, do you all read that as the matchday 18? I’d have thought it was the starting 11.
If Kodjia fit, I’d love to see him and Davis in a 442

I have tried to find these rules wal and can only come up with a reference to having to field 5 players who played in the previous game or who will play in the next game. But this appears to apply only to cup games.
it was somthing i read on the bbc gosip page on the spots sectoin and i do remember some thing at the time when hudders made 10 changes

it was somthing i read on the bbc gosip page on the spots sectoin and i do remember some thing at the time when hudders made 10 changes
league clubs face punishment if they rest 10 or more players during matches towards the end of the season following a toughening up of rules on weakened teams.
English Football League sides on Thursday agreed a definition of what constituted a full-strength line-up after Huddersfield Town made 10 changes for their fixture at Birmingham City in the closing weeks of last term.
EFL Regulation 24 already states that clubs are required to play “full strength” teams in all matches “unless some satisfactory reason is given”.
But Huddersfield escaped punishment over their line-up in a game which followed them confirming a place in the Championship play-offs.
Birmingham won the match 2-0 and went on to avoid relegation at the expense of Blackburn Rovers, who had criticised Huddersfield’s selection.
The new policy, which comes into effect from next month, states: “For any league match played on or after the fourth Thursday in March, any team sheet for a league game should include at least 10 outfield players who featured on the team sheet for the league match before.”
The EFL added: “In the event any club breaches the threshold, they may be charged with a breach of Regulation 24 and the matter will be referred to a disciplinary commission.”

As revealed by Telegraph Sport, the 72 clubs also voted to follow the Premier League’s lead by shutting its transfer window early.
But it was a close call, with less than 58 per cent of those polled agreeing a switch that will see lower-league teams prevented from buying players from 5pm on the Thursday after the start of their season.
The timing was chosen to harmonise the closure of their window with that of the Premier League, whose clubs voted in September for a cut-off the Thursday before they kick off.
That date will fall on August 9 next season.

We are now bound to finish fifth, win, lose or draw - the only club in the top eight that knows for sure where they'll be in the table Sunday night. Sheffield United will be champions if they win and we beat Norwich. WBA could win and Leeds lose which would mean them swopping places. There are three teams in the running for sixth.
I'd be inclined to rest three or four - McGinn (he'll not be playing anyway, we've been told), Grealish and Tammy, anyway.

I'd make 4 changes tops, 1 and 2 below for sure and 2 of any combination of the 4 below that. If you want to keep it simple I think the midfield trio you can do whatever you want the rest of the team isn't so simple. Resting lads is a recipe for disaster IMO and a sure fire way to lose all the built up momentum we just made.

1. Virtually guaranteed will be Whelan for McGinn
2. Controversially I'd start Tammy if fit because he's missed a couple games be good to get him a little time before we really need him
3. Lansbury for Grealish or introducing Lansbury at HT
4. Hutton for El Mo
5. I'd be assessing Green vs. Adomah all week
6. I'd consider maybe playing Hause ahead of Mings if he is fit

I'd be reluctant to take out Steer I feel its better for his concentration to play. I wouldnt drop Taylor or El Ghazi as they have momentum and have finally come good for us. I think its good to get Axel more game time to keep him fit and Mings would be a huge gamble to drop because depending on all the changes above how many leaders do you have on the pitch.