Aston Villa v Newcastle Utd Match Thread - Tues 30th Jan - 8.15 | Page 3 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Newcastle Utd Match Thread - Tues 30th Jan - 8.15

Feels like a must win to get the season back on track. All these injuries are p*ssing me off, we miss Pau Torres the most. Hopefully he's back for Man Utd at least.

Newcastle will have a pretty much first choice defence and Almiron-Isak-Gordon as their front three but a weak midfield which we should really get the better off given they are playing a 17 year old there and Longstaff. They'll also have very little off the bench with injuries to Wilson, Barnes, Joelinton etc. Plus we have a very good record at home to Newcastle going back several years and their away form in the league is awful. We really have to be winning this game.

Same starting line up as Friday.

But in reality there isn't any choice . It's getting worrying because this starting 11 is going to be asked to 'go again' alot in the coming weeks. Could do without the cup replay tbh..

But in reality there isn't any choice . It's getting worrying because this starting 11 is going to be asked to 'go again' alot in the coming weeks. Could do without the cup replay tbh..
I think bailey will start this one in only change

We've got about 15 players at the moment we can use without weakening or indeed strengthening the side, Cash Diego Diaby Bailey Teilemans Zaniolo can be interchanged But Konsa Lenglet Moreno Martinez Dougie Kamara Watkins have no real option but to play every game

Feels like a must win to get the season back on track.

Back on track? Two defeats in 17 and comfortably in the top 4, still in the FA Cup and last 16 of the Conference League….granted, we haven’t been firing on all cylinders over Christmas and early New Year but to suggest the season has fallen off the rails is a bit OTT isn’t it. We’re in a fantastic position where none of us could have imagined we’d be after the Newcastle hammering. The season is as far from being ‘off track’ as it possibly could be given our recent history.

We've got about 15 players at the moment we can use without weakening or indeed strengthening the side, Cash Diego Diaby Bailey Teilemans Zaniolo can be interchanged But Konsa Lenglet Moreno Martinez Dougie Kamara Watkins have no real option but to play every game
This was the bench Friday and lays the injury problems bare. And this is what we will for Saturday and next week at very least I think . Pure fantasy to think about those kids coming on to affect things for a top 4 push aswell. Including Tim. The reason the yoof were recalled was due to necessity. Not because of them suddenly becoming realistic options.

• 3 Diego Carlos
  • 16 Chambers
  • 22 Zaniolo
  • 25 Olsen
  • 31 Bailey
  • 47 Iroegbunam
  • 64 Wright
  • 69 Munroe
  • 71 Kellyman

Can't believe you haven't mentioned SJM.

:confused:

This was the bench Friday and lays the injury problems bare. And this is what we will for Saturday and next week at very least I think . Pure fantasy to think about those kids coming on to affect things for a top 4 push aswell. Including Tim. The reason the yoof were recalled was due to necessity. Not because of them suddenly becoming realistic options.

• 3 Diego Carlos
  • 16 Chambers
  • 22 Zaniolo
  • 25 Olsen
  • 31 Bailey
  • 47 Iroegbunam
  • 64 Wright
  • 69 Munroe
  • 71 Kellyman
I agree mate, there were some on here the other day bemoaning the fact the kids aren't even getting on the bench, there are 4 then one of whom I've never heard of, plus 2 keepers who had less than a bat-in-hell chance of getting on but in saying that, how stupid are 9 subs anyway. Even 5 is pushing it a bit.

Can't believe you haven't mentioned SJM.

:confused:
What about him, he's one of those we can sub off especially lately when he's been poor or look knackered. He's a starter but sometimes he can be swapped for Teliemans or Bailey, Diaby and shuffle the pack

What about him, he's one of those we can sub off especially lately when he's been poor or look knackered. He's a starter but sometimes he can be swapped for Teliemans or Bailey, Diaby and shuffle the pack
He's a definate starter though.

Back on track? Two defeats in 17 and comfortably in the top 4, still in the FA Cup and last 16 of the Conference League….granted, we haven’t been firing on all cylinders over Christmas and early New Year but to suggest the season has fallen off the rails is a bit OTT isn’t it. We’re in a fantastic position where none of us could have imagined we’d be after the Newcastle hammering. The season is as far from being ‘off track’ as it possibly could be given our recent history.
We aint comfortably in top 4. If we lose and spurs win they go level points on us and if there is a 3 goal swing then they wiild go above us

I wonder if some were expecting us to be in this position before the season started ? Unai has really really raised the expectation if we are looking to "get back on track"

It's a wonderful season , the like of which we haven't experienced for many a year. It's a shame some can't seem to enjoy it for what it is.

We aint comfortably in top 4. If we lose and spurs win they go level points on us and if there is a 3 goal swing then they wiild go above us
Nobody is comfortable in the top 4 but the top 5 are clear of the rest but lose a few and the rest like West Ham might catch up. Over the last 12 months we are top 2 I think on form?

Yeah I think we sometimes need to realise we are talking about the top 4 here. If we fade off a little and burn out and finish 6/7th. Ok. We gave it a really good go.

That's all I really want us to be right now. Competitive and to put up a bloody fight against the sky 6.

We have been a terribly run team for a long time. We are only now seeing the positives of good ownership.

If we don't get in the top 4. Disappointed yeah because it's nice to dream. But we are here for the long haul. If we are seeing a good club being ran well from top to bottom and constantly improving then I'm a happy villa man.

It's not off track but if we don't start winning soon it will be as we only picked up 5 points from 4 games having played Sheffield United, Burnley and Everton, two of them at home. We shouldn't be thinking, oh we're doing really well, better than expected, so it's ok to fall away like we always seem to do as a club and finish 6th and let the likes of Spurs and West Ham overtake us or Man Utd. Missing out on Champions League and making Europa as we did so many times over the years when we fell off a cliff at the business end of the season would put a really negative slant on the season for me.

No, I want us to stay in the top 4. I want us to finish in the top 4 for the first time in nearly 30 years. I want us to finish in the top 4 and get Champions League for the first time since 1982. Because otherwise we're just living off the past which is all we've done for the past 40 years.

Spurs, Leeds, Newcastle, even Everton (who were knocked out at the qualifying stage) have played in the Champions League more recently than we have. All similar sized clubs to us and many Villa fans would say we're bigger than at least two of those clubs. Well let's actually show we're a big club by achieving something special and not falling away like we do so often. And then using this special season to continue making progress rather than it being a one off.

Which is why we need to win tonight. Newcastle have more injuries than we do.

Yeah I think we sometimes need to realise we are talking about the top 4 here. If we fade off a little and burn out and finish 6/7th. Ok. We gave it a really good go.

That's all I really want us to be right now. Competitive and to put up a bloody fight against the sky 6.

We have been a terribly run team for a long time. We are only now seeing the positives of good ownership.

If we don't get in the top 4. Disappointed yeah because it's nice to dream. But we are here for the long haul. If we are seeing a good club being ran well from top to bottom and constantly improving then I'm a happy villa man.
I'd like to think we're here for the long haul but unless we sort out our income and revenue streams we will not keep up with the Sky 6 teams. Getting Champions League could be the key that drives that revenue up. And given the position we're in we should be more than disappointed if we didn't at least finish 5th. We certainly shouldn't be letting the likes of West Ham or Man Utd overtake us. Spurs I could probably just about live with and would keep my fingers crossed that 5th gets us a CL place.