Aston Villa v Newcastle United Match Thread (Sat 23) | Page 30 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Newcastle United Match Thread (Sat 23)

Marv was interesting to watch tonight. Really assured from him, but he doesn't half slow the game down. I never feared when he was in possession, but a few moments aside, didn't see him offering much going forward.

If we ever decided to sell him, any team that parks the bus would be all over him. Perhaps he has a place in some matches - could he have brought about some calm last Wednesday?

I thought he got up quite well, made a lot of forward balls, but you can't expect too much from him when he's not starting week in week out, look how poor McGinn looked when he got back into the side, looked like a Championship player, Marv also knows that no matter what he does he won't be starting with McGinn and Luiz in the side.

Marv was interesting to watch tonight. Really assured from him, but he doesn't half slow the game down. I never feared when he was in possession, but a few moments aside, didn't see him offering much going forward.

If we ever decided to sell him, any team that parks the bus would be all over him. Perhaps he has a place in some matches - could he have brought about some calm last Wednesday?

I'd be more worried about Barkley but I think the majority of his slowness is a lack of match sharpness.

Marv will never be Luiz or McGinn but what I will gove to Marv is he always looked for the ball. Definitely got a huge amount of confidence back. A squad player, a lad to help us see out games but he'll likely only ever be a bit-part player for us now.

I don't see that he slows us down. I felt he had a Kante-esque performance tonight - broke up play, kept it simple when he got the ball, didn't give it away.

He doesn't offer much going forward because it's not his job, in my humble. He just gets the ball and gives it someone better equipped.

He was outstanding for me, particularly as he's barely played in the past 6+ months.

Did what we had to do second half. Saw the game out comfortably...how many times have we done that in the Prem over the past decade, not many! Dont think Martinez had a save to make second half. Newcastle are lucky that the current bottom 3 have so few points, they really are poor, no different to last season where they had so much good fortune it was untrue. Anyway, couldnt care less about them, shout out for Marvelous who really was tonight...slotted in really well I thought. And defensively excellent again.Targett and Cash really solid and a quick shout for Ollie Watkins...never stopped working from first minute to last. 3 points, 8th place...games in hand, bloody brilliant this winning malarkey!

Nicely done Villa 2-0 was perfect thank you. Barkley looked knackered well before the end. I wonder if he was one of the covid victims. Konsa and Targett were excellent. Wednesday will be a whole lot tougher.

He's like the dustpan and brush of our midfield.