Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final March 1st | Page 47 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Man City League Cup Final March 1st

Come on JF, would you really have not wanted to see Trez's winner against Leicester in the 94th minute? I had a great day out at Wembley which was only slightly spoilt by the result, but certainly not by the performance.

I mean, if we don't turn up and give it a proper go - which against many opinions I realise - I don't think we did, then I'm not sure I see the point

For me, (and lets be honest, we are hardly Man Utd type spoiled fans just used to winning) unless we are going to go hell for leather and at the very least go down fighting, I'm not arsed about a nice day out. It is about winning and our clubs mentality doesn't seem to be about that. A lot of us fans do accept that these days as well, perhaps because we are so used to failure?

It was always the British way, i.e. Frank Bruno v Tyson. Oh well, you didn't win, but you gave it a go. The new British way is about winning.

Villa's? Not yet. Hope one day it is.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser!

Which ever way you look at it we were half a post width away from taking the game into extra time , having being 2-0 down after 25 mins or so and everyone fearing the worst. That must say something .

FWIW I thought the tactics were right apart from Samatta coming off . I kept saying during the game that if we could stay in the game until the 80th minute and then have a go we would get one chance which pretty much proved to be the case. They are so good a keeping the ball it is hard to sustain pressure though.

Samatta coming off summed it up for me, we settled for a loss.

Of course it is hard to sustain pressure, that is why they are paid so much and that is what 'smaller' teams do to pull off cup shocks, we've had it v us as well before now, teams coming to Villa Park and dying on their feet by the end for the constant pressure.

Other clubs do it.

We don't.

We also don't win.

It's fine if people accept and are ok about it. I'm just not!

If you are suggesting I am accepting it , then you are wrong.

Other clubs have also played just as poorly as us , that's why 6 or 7 clubs are in a relegation battle and we are certainly not cast adrift like we were last time.

I mean, if we don't turn up and give it a proper go - which against many opinions I realise - I don't think we did, then I'm not sure I see the point

For me, (and lets be honest, we are hardly Man Utd type spoiled fans just used to winning) unless we are going to go hell for leather and at the very least go down fighting, I'm not arsed about a nice day out. It is about winning and our clubs mentality doesn't seem to be about that. A lot of us fans do accept that these days as well, perhaps because we are so used to failure?

It was always the British way, i.e. Frank Bruno v Tyson. Oh well, you didn't win, but you gave it a go. The new British way is about winning.

Villa's? Not yet. Hope one day it is.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser!
If I wasn't arsed about a nice day out I'd never go to an away game.

As for John McEnroe's quote about losing, the player's were all on the deck at the end. They cared alright.

We ponced off to the sun for a break and came back to lose 4 on the trot and put in that shocker against Southampton. We're all glad we didn't get battared but it's about results and performance, heart and soul now, no time for any more excuses, I'm sick to death of us easily conceding from corners and having to overcome 2 goal head starts for the opposition.

For what it's worth I didn't think we played that well on Sunday but eagerly await Monday against Leicester because if we play like we did against Southampton we will end thd season bottom.

A lot of criticism about bringing Samatta off but we don't know the whole of the story why. He may have been struggling with tight muscles - as we're others. There was criticism of leaving Mings on earlier in the season and him missing subsequent matches. Just think of the shit storm that would be on here if Samatta had a calf strain or hamstring injury because he stayed on and was not available for the next few games. Unless we know the full reason for the substitution we shouldn't really comment. For all we know, Samatta might have asked to come off if he was struggling with a niggle.
We need all players fit for the run in and need to pay heed to the medical and coaching staff.

I take your point sir, I raise you:

Liverpool thrashed by Watford.

Norwich City 3-2 Man City

Bournemouth 1-0 Man Utd

Other clubs pull off surprises, we don't.

How did Watford do it? By doing what I said we should do.

I was talking about cup final performances with my examples though and not league games.

And you might own this place but please stay on topic and talk about cup finals in the cup final thread and not league games :Fingers: :grinning:.

And no. We definitely don't surprise. Said it all season. Even 4 points from the arsenal, manure, dippers, spurs home and away would be making a huge difference now.

If you are suggesting I am accepting it , then you are wrong.

Other clubs have also played just as poorly as us , that's why 6 or 7 clubs are in a relegation battle and we are certainly not cast adrift like we were last time.
My guess is we will be adrift by the end of march. The fixture list is a fixture list from hell. And yes others have tough games but they have picked up wins already against top 8 teams.

Having a game plan which was executed well (I would argue) and by the width of a goalpost not getting a draw against the best domestic cup team in Europe (probably) is more motivating than “giving it a go” and losing 6-0 before the most important priority of the season - safety - resumes.

Our confidence could’ve been shattered after a huge defeat, we don’t seem to react the same was as the likes of Watford or Southampton do after a drubbing.

The one thing I came away with from Sunday was that we seemed to be able to set up to contain and hit a team on the break, we need to do that against the top 9 teams in the league we still have to play because if we think we can turn up and outplay then we’re wrong.

Against most teams we’ll be under intense pressure for 15-20 mins in a game, against Citeh it’s going to be more like 60-70.

Let's not get over happy. Man city made 8 changes to their team that beat real Madrid.
We are in serious trouble.

Oh yeah. Bringing in the likes of Aguero and Sterling who didn't start against Madrid really weakened them didnt it. :lol:
Yes it did. That's the quality of man city. Their bench costs more then our whole team.
Their best team played real madrid. Just stating a fact. 🍉🐴

Yeah, for me their quality is undoubted and I have no problem with the fact ours isn't, as we've been down and out and now trying to get back going.

Have no truck whatsoever with being beaten by better. I just don't think we play smartly against better and sadly my thoughts are backed up by our woeful results v all the top ten this season.

Hey ho, time for me to move on, look at the rest of the season, cup is done and dusted, sadly.

But we were not slaughtered and I suspect many feared we would be.
They had 7 full International on the bench ..... we had the likes of Taylor and Lansbury. They are a different class and losing 2-1 was no disgrace.
There is something to build on.

But we were not slaughtered and I suspect many feared we would be.
They had 7 full International on the bench ..... we had the likes of Taylor and Lansbury. They are a different class and losing 2-1 was no disgrace.
There is something to build on.

I think where Fear is coming from Col is that we've been hearing this all season, and he's fed up with us as plucky losers.
I sort of understood early in the season but we've just carried on losing and against City we never looked like winning it and none of us can claim we were unlucky we were totally outplayed but, I also get the moral victory side of things that we never got a tanking. I walked out of Wembley quite calm and nowhere near as down as I was when we played Arsenal where I was ashamed to be a Villa fan .

We all hope we build on it but it's not looking likely, it seems to be all hot air from the Villa camp