Aston Villa v Leicester City Match Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Leicester City Match Thread

Wesley, for all his size has never been a centreforward, apart from the few times he's filled in because of injury....

You constantly say this but I've no idea where you've gotten the idea from.

Reading an article about him before he signed it says -

What kind of player is Wesley Moraes?
An out and out striker, Wesley Moraes Ferreira da Silva (often referred to as just Wesley) is best suited to playing as a straight up centre-forward. He can be utilised off another front man, but due to his imposing size and speed is best set leading the line.

And

At Club Brugge he was often utilised as a central forward in a front three (where many would imagine him featuring for Villa), or as part of a front two in a 3-5-2 formation.

So I'm genuinely curious why you seem to think he was a Sadio Mane type as I've not read anything to support that.

YouTube clips can be very deceiving. If you watched a Frédéric Gilbert montage on YouTube he'd look like a winger.

We’re nearly half way into the season I can’t understand how you can say Leicester are only their because the teams they’ve got points from are “no great shakes”, they’ve played broadly the same teams as every one else but have got more points than nearly any one else, including 20 more points than us.
As the for the game, there’s no doubt it will be tough and we will be lucky to get anything out of it. But it’s at home so you never know we can sneak in a good result but will likely be down to luck / they have a bad day at the office
I will rephrease that.
They got a point at Chelsea second game of the season, they lost at Old Trafford, lost at Anfield, beat a poor Arsenal we should have beaten and they havent played Man City.
The teams they have put to the sword are those at the botton end of the table and the bottom of the middle teams.
Im not saying they are only there because the teams they have beaten are poor, thats not the reason. They are a good side that are there on merit but I dont see them as being unbeatable.
On our day at Villa Park we can get something out of this.

Talk of dropping Mings and then maybe McGinn????? Really?????

Guilbert and Engels to return. No choice but to continue with Wesley up front, with him being replaced early with Kodgia if he continues to look bereft. Villa 3 Leicester 1, McGinn to get back in the swing.

Maybe Kodjia would fancy putting himself in the shop window. He must be brassed off sitting on the bench. I'd hope he'd be busting a gut to prove the coaches wrong.

Yeah have grave doubts about both Wesley and kojjia. Also SJM and Mings have lost form in recent games. .we can't afford players to be 5 out of 10 . A point above the drop zone again. I see Brighton and Newcastle won last night.....results not exactly going our way.

A point above the drop zone again. I see Brighton and Newcastle won last night.....results not exactly going our way.

The league is nuts. The movement of teams is crazy, Wolves were in the bottom 3 for a decent spell and now sit 5th, Spurs were in crisis mode but now look comfortable again, West Ham and Everton having dreadful seasons. If you're between 5th and 17th you could end up anywhere in that mix after two matches.

There are a few coaches squeezing every last bit out of their teams and others who cant get a drop out teams seemingly oozing with talent. Comments were made last season about some teams not being much better than Championship sides and while we've found thats not completely true others have the ambition of Championship teams and fear the drop. We as a club would be fine either way but I think we're playing with ambition while the likes of West Ham, Everton, Southampton, Watford etc. all playing like they have something to lose. And they do because some of these teams arent big enough to survive the drop or run well enough bounce back.

If you're a believer in stats some current simulations put West Ham going down on 41 pts.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

Don’t get me wrong, Leicester are playing quality football but more importantly grinding out results. They aren’t Man City or Liverpool quality but as a team and setup are doing very well (again).

I certainly don’t think they are unbeatable, and I’d be hoping we are going out there looking to win ourselves but mindful that a point isn’t a bad result.

That is the one thing you do know when it comes to Dean Smith, he will send the team out to win, no matter who we are playing. No more of this 10 men behind the ball nonsense.

I certainly won't be writing us off in this game, it's easier than the last two and we could have taken six from both of those.

As good as Leicester are, a certain amount of luck is involved in that league position. We've scored more or as many goals than 15 teams in the league and the only game we have deserved to lose at home this season is arguably Bournemouth.

Man up lads, we are taking the three points!

Clean sheet gives us a chance. I'm not saying get behind the ball but we need to see more desire to press and win the ball back, especially further forward.

I think we can win this one but the players need to believe it too and be prepared to fight much harder as a group.

This is a tough game . FACT

Certainly is but they all are to us .

In saying that we need t get something from every game and we are becoming easy to beat, perhaps not easy but some of us seem to think it's acceptable to lose as long as it's to a top 6 side.
Personally I think the top six no longer exists its Liverpool and Man City , then who every shows the will to win is in the top 6 at the moment the Villa team and some of the fans don't believe they can finish there, a real lack of belief.
Leicester have that belief, so do Chelsea the rest are no better than us