Aston Villa v Leicester City - Match Thread - Sunday 5th December | Page 32 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Leicester City - Match Thread - Sunday 5th December

Interesting comments from Gerrard after the game about some players either not buying into it or not up to it yet. He’s clearly demanding and has high standards. And Ramsay saying the training is more intense and the standard higher. WTF were they doing before!??

Playing golf apparently - hence.

Interesting comments from Gerrard after the game about some players either not buying into it or not up to it yet. He’s clearly demanding and has high standards. And Ramsay saying the training is more intense and the standard higher. WTF were they doing before!??

Yup, he's repeatedly firing shots across their bows and not before time.

Tend to agree r.e. Luiz but does Ramsey deserve to be dropped to get Sanson in? Not in my view, he’s still a little raw given his inexperience but he’s quickly developing into a good player; hard working, a bit of skill, can dribble, can pass forwards. Another good game from him (ignoring that shocking second half miss) and if it wasn’t for the “referee” (if he deserves to be called that) would have got his first villa park goal

He may well be good for his age but far, far too many games simply pass him by.

Sanson already look more willing and able to play an active part in the game.

Nothing against the kid but no way should he be starting for us if the squad is where it should be.

Buendia is desperate to do well and is trying to do too much instead of keeping it simple and pick the right time for the unexpected. He will however be judged on his merits by SG and we have a few waiting in the wings for a go. Nice to see Iroegbunam making the bench. He has a bit of talent from watching the U23,s.

He may well be good for his age but far, far too many games simply pass him by.

Sanson already look more willing and able to play an active part in the game.

Nothing against the kid but no way should he be starting for us if you squad is where it should be.

He started well but he fades badly in every game. We have three subs and we seem to need to save two for hooking him and Emi2 every game.

Liked how we had a plan at corners, clearly putting the keeper under pressure. Deep crosses and it worked. Great to see well organised pre thought out tactics.

Feel bad for Buendia, feel he could kick on with some extra confidence a goal would give him, cracking header from the penalty spot.

The whole build up to the liverpool game will be about Gerrards return, let the team preparation go under the radar and let's smash em !

Liked how we had a plan at corners, clearly putting the keeper under pressure. Deep crosses and it worked. Great to see well organised pre thought out tactics.

Feel bad for Buendia, feel he could kick on with some extra confidence a goal would give him, cracking header from the penalty spot.

The whole build up to the liverpool game will be about Gerrards return, let the team preparation go under the radar and let's smash em !
It's great to see the towel and long throws have been sacked off though. Not a single one today :wahey:

Woeful first half from us . Up there with the worst of the season.

Absolutely brilliant 2nd half from us. Up there with the best of the season.

As i expected watching the game as it unfurled the divisive Buendia and Luiz filling many a post .

It think it’s fair to say that no one apart from Em1 covered themselves in glory first half . Buendia and Luiz firmly included in this. Has anyone mentioned Cash getting his arse handed to him for 45 mins by Barnes ?.

I think its fair to say second half everyone deserves plaudits 2nd half . No one can be picked out for criticism 2nd half in my humble . Terrific team application against a good side. Really sorted ourselves out.

Most important tactical tweak , and I’m not sure why SG didn’t do it earlier in the first half such was the obvious issue . But SJM dropped deeper on the right to help Cash and it worked magnificently bearing in mind how Barnes was tearing us one.

Forget the 2nd half Emi1 save from the header the first half right handed save from I think Maddison was world class . Such a strong arm.

My mate at work is a Leicester City fan so it will be great to be able to take the piss tomorrow morning. He did tell me that Leicester were vulnerable from set plays and that Soyuncu was a liability and so it proved. Can only think that Gerrard and his team also got the memo and exploited their weaknesses. Good to have a coaching team who do their homework on the opposition.

Last edited:
So strange the first half, the whole momentum was so wrong. Can't understand that. Gerrard said after it took some home truths at half time, whatever he did, it was chalk and cheese first half to second.

Brilliant win.

Just watched the SSN report. Apparently Leicester had chances to equalise second half. Cue them showing Leicester 2nd half chances but …erm….none of ours . Brilliant.

So the Barnes header and.... That's about it. Whereas we had 2 missed Ollie chances, cash missing, 2 disallowed goals (both wrong) and Ramsey missing a sitter.