Aston Villa v Leeds United Friday 23rd 8pm Match Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Leeds United Friday 23rd 8pm Match Thread

Maybe it's time we lost? Can't keep winning can we?
It's how we play the game after a loss that will make our season?
:jangel:

My only concern for this game is that Bielsa will come up with a tactical masterclass.
No he only plays one-way gungho all-out pressure and speed. It's up to us to pick them off

The truth lies in the middle of those two, Bielsa will suss out a way to get at us but elements of their game won't change. I expect them to try stifle us from deep and stop any break away immediately.

IMO we're currently the most dangerous team in the league when we break down an opposition attack. The speed and accuracy of our passing when we stop the opposition attack has been lethal. We're also one of the most dangerous teams when we break through the first bank of the opposition defense. That's largely the pace and power of Barkley and Grealish running, with McGinn, Trez and Luiz doing so every now and then as well.

We're a difficult team to stop and a very different team to face. Most of our midfield can carry the ball comfortably and beat their man. We're not an intricate passing team, most of how we breakthrough teams is by beating players with the ball. Stopping us from doing that consistently is to foul and crowd, easy to do to one player, incredibly difficult to do with even just 2 never mind 3 or 4 who can beat you regularly.

All joking aside.....

The bigger picture is that clearly we have a very decent 1st 11. But when the inevitable injuries and suspensions come what we have in reserve is going to be a problem in my opinion.
And that will be the decisive factor in the season.
Couldn't agree more. We have a few match-winners in that first-eleven, including Martinez. Our back-ups are adequate, but there's nobody on that bench that I'd want in there for more than a game or two....

You could be right, attack being the best form of defense and that.

I do like the look of Traore, think he has goals in him. Certainly an upgrade on El Ghazi and a different sort of player compared to Trez.

Just nice to be going into this game with confidence.
I think Trez is a better player all around than last year. He always played better when Elmo was at RB and it's no coincidence that he's been better this year with Cash behind him. His work-rate is as good as Snodgrass.

After watching Leeds tonight I think as soon as the first goal goes in it'll be end to end, and we'll be a lot more clinical in front of goal, We need to get out the block early and not let them settle into the game before we do, But if we turn up we'll go through them like a hot knife through butter and really burst their bubble.

Looks like we might need to pick the pace up a bit on Friday and stay awake

IMO Leeds are doing a Sheffield Utd. they have some lovely phases of football and Philips has an excellent range of passing. Koch, Rodrigo and Rafinha look like good quality players but we have to remember the rest are bobby average. Bielsa gets unbelievable work rate out of his players but the likes of Helder Costa were barely good enough for Wolves when they were in the Championship. Just something to keep in mind.

I admire Bielsa, I hate Leeds and we must beat them. They are a fancy Sheffield United. Bamford wasn't good enough for Middlesboro. I think we approach this game either (a) do what we did to Leicester for the first 20 mins or (b) just go at them and try blow them out of the water from the off.

IMO Leeds are doing a Sheffield Utd. they have some lovely phases of football and Philips has an excellent range of passing. Koch, Rodrigo and Rafinha look like good quality players but we have to remember the rest are bobby average. Bielsa gets unbelievable work rate out of his players but the likes of Helder Costa were barely good enough for Wolves when they were in the Championship. Just something to keep in mind.

I admire Bielsa, I hate Leeds and we must beat them. They are a fancy Sheffield United. Bamford wasn't good enough for Middlesboro. I think we approach this game either (a) do what we did to Leicester for the first 20 mins or (b) just go at them and try blow them out of the water from the off.
Yep, keep it nil and we’ll create chances - and yes Bamford is not good enough at this level.

I’m genuinely intrigued to match us up against them. Have predicted a win as they do look shaky at the back.

I think we approach this game either (a) do what we did to Leicester for the first 20 mins or (b) just go at them and try blow them out of the water from the off.

I'm hoping the latter because the first 20 minutes against Leicester we were shit and it was squeaky bum time as a few times they got one on one with Martinez having a spare man on the far post which they could of easily capitalised, Leeds started the game really well, sprayed the passes around looked comfortable and had some good chances, I'd rather we matched their work rate to start and not let them get into the game.

I'll go for option (b) - just blow them away from the start.

This one is a lose-lose as far as the media coverage is concerned. If they beat us or even get a draw it will be a Leeds love-in on how they beat the only team in the country with a 100% record. If we beat them it will be a valiant effort on their part against the bullies and England's best player.

What the Leicester game proved to me was we can adapt to different styles we can just go for the jugular from the off or we can let teams come at us for the first 15-20 minutes then gradually turn the screw and totally control the game and the beauty about this is we actually look like the more likely to grab that late goal which haunted us for years.

I'm hoping the latter because the first 20 minutes against Leicester we were shit and it was squeaky bum time as a few times they got one on one with Martinez having a spare man on the far post which they could of easily capitalised, Leeds started the game really well, sprayed the passes around looked comfortable and had some good chances, I'd rather we matched their work rate to start and not let them get into the game.
Really do you think we were shit I never once thought we looked like losing that game.Honestly think we invited them onto us for the first 15 so we could hit them on the counter and as soon we started picking holes Leicester retreated ten yards and the longer the game went on after that we always looked the more likely to score.

What the Leicester game proved to me was we can adapt to different styles we can just go for the jugular from the off or we can let teams come at us for the first 15-20 minutes then gradually turn the screw and totally control the game and the beauty about this is we actually look like the more likely to grab that late goal which haunted us for years.

:agree:

Smith said that we were naive last season, I think that goes for him too, but equally when the players step over that line they need to take responsibility.

We have a seasons’ worth of experience - Konsa, Mings and Luiz are hugely important as part of the spine of the team to putting those tactics into play.

Keeping it tight away from home and staying in the game against good sides is a good tactic in my book. I said during the game. smith looks a lot more relaxed and doesn’t have to kick every ball. You hear him encouraging players to press a lot, but that’s different.

I also didn’t think Leicester looked like scoring in the second half, we were that disciplined.

The Leeds game will be the equal and opposite as they’ll sit tight and hit us. This could put us in trouble and if we concede first, we’ll see what they’re made of.

Watched Wolves beat them last night but they had to withstand a whirlwind of aggressive power and pace with long and short hard hit passes straight to feet. In your face, no space to breathe, strength and not a little skill, particularly with that passing pace and power not to mention their running till they die attitude.
However, they seemed to lose a few percentage points of energy in the second half and chances came to Wolves. What Leeds lacked in quality up front was compensated by numbers up and down the pitch and raw endeavour.
I would hate to play against them. Like a team of big bully boys with top knots daring you to laugh at their hairstyles but at your peril.
I don’t think we can match them strength for strength and neither did Wolves who were made to appear quite insipid in the first half. Be patient and hit them at pace when the opportunity arises may be our best strategy but this one will certainly be a very different sort of test for Dean and his strategists.