Aston Villa v Leeds United Friday 23rd 8pm Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Leeds United Friday 23rd 8pm Match Thread

The club is moving in the right direction. We finished 5th in the Championship two seasons ago and therefore cannot expect to have strength in depth, we've spent a hell of a lot of money so far and we are seeing the pay off this season. We will add to this over the next couple of seasons in order to achieve better depth.

yes it's taken Leicester 5 Years to have £30m 18-year-old CB's to bring in and 30m strikers and midfielders all over the park even when they have 4 of their best players missing.
At the moment our best 11 is just that our best 11 and apart from Traore in for Trez there really isn't an argument to be had on team selection, which could be a good or a bad thing. Liverpool have a best 11 then a few who are not quite as good

yes it's taken Leicester 5 Years to have £30m 18-year-old CB's to bring in and 30m strikers and midfielders all over the park even when they have 4 of their best players missing.
At the moment our best 11 is just that our best 11 and apart from Traore in for Trez there really isn't an argument to be had on team selection, which could be a good or a bad thing. Liverpool have a best 11 then a few who are not quite as good
It's more likely to be a bad thing in many ways but not something that could have ever been different based on where we've come from. It's just the way it is.

My only concern for this game is that Bielsa will come up with a tactical masterclass.

I’m not doubting he’s a smart tactician, but he’s got his reputation in a league where the only thing that differentiates about 20 clubs down there is the colour of their kits.

The premier league teams are all vastly different in style, and when he’s up against superior teams let’s see how he fares.

I’m not saying he isn’t a good tactician because he obviously is because he wears glasses - but it’s much harder in this league to execute that. Even if you are genius, if your players aren’t good enough to implement it successfully and the results don’t come in, no-one really notices all the hard work you’ve done in the week. I think a lot of our problems last season were that the players hadn’t quite gelled and the cumulative intelligence of them to execute a game plan was seeing us fall short.

As 57 says, I think we know exactly what Leeds with do. Keep it tight, press tight, play physical and hit us on the break.

I would bring Traore in for this one place of Trez, we’ll need people who can unlock the door and both flanks will need to provide food service. I backed Trez for starts in the last two games, it’s now time for Traore.

I’m not doubting he’s a smart tactician, but he’s got his reputation in a league where the only thing that differentiates about 20 clubs down there is the colour of their kits.

The premier league teams are all vastly different in style, and when he’s up against superior teams let’s see how he fares.

I’m not saying he isn’t a good tactician because he obviously is because he wears glasses - but it’s much harder in this league to execute that. Even if you are genius, if your players aren’t good enough to implement it successfully and the results don’t come in, no-one really notices all the hard work you’ve done in the week.

As 57 says, I think we know exactly what Leeds with do. Keep it tight, press tight, play physical and hit us on the break.

I would bring Traore in for this one place of Trez, we’ll need people who can unlock the door and both flanks will need to provide food service. I backed Trez for starts in the last two games, it’s now time for Traore.
Personally I have loved Trez's work rate the last few games. He tracks back, presses, and commits to the attack. I dont know enough about Traore to say whether playing him will put more pressure on our back line and midfield.

Leeds should bring intensity and lots of pressure - if they click they can get on top of teams.

But if we are smart and break quickly they are very weak at the back.

What a difference - I'd have looked at this game last season thinking we will get drubbed but now I'm convinced we should get something from the game and fancy a win.

Personally I have loved Trez's work rate the last few games. He tracks back, presses, and commits to the attack. I dont know enough about Traore to say whether playing him will put more pressure on our back line and midfield.

Completely agree RE Trez, I argued in the Liverpool thread we need to make tactical changes and bring Barkley into the lineup in place of Conor along with many others, and this is the same situation.

Trez has been great, he’s a workhorse. The dirty work and covering he does is incredible and he’s making himself a bit of a fan favourite, and finally showing he is a better all round option than El Ghazi.

I wanted to see Traore a bit more before I made judgement, but I love his technique on the ball from the last 20 minutes or so yesterday. It’s almost like watching a player on a video game how he controls moves and passes.

He is a luxury player to some degree as he wasn’t marking as deep as Trez, but against Leeds we need players who can unlock the door even if we sacrifice a little defensively, I think he’s the man. If we rely on all our attacks going down the left hand side, Biesla will win.

Last edited:

Trez has always done that but the difference is we were losing, now we are winning he's not taking stick for being a headless chicken it's now seen as an honest grafter.
If Traore isn't an upgrade we've just wasted 19m . I still think Dean will stick with the same team until he either gets beat or players are injured or suspended. Another 9 wins on the bounce and we are safe and we can give the others a game ;)

Completely agree RE Trez, I argued in the Liverpool thread we need to make tactical changes and bring Barkley into the lineup in place of Conor along with many others, and this is the same situation.

Trez has been great, he’s a workhorse. The dirty work and covering he does is incredible and he’s making himself a bit of a fan favourite, and finally showing he is a better all round option than El Ghazi.

I wanted to see Traore a bit more before I made judgement, but I love his technique on the ball from the last 20 minutes or so yesterday. It’s almost like watching a player on a video game how he controls moves and passes.

He is a luxury player to some degree as he wasn’t marking as deep as Trez, but against Leeds we need players who can unlock the door even if we sacrifice a little defensively, I think he’s the man. If we rely on all our attacks going down the left hand side, Biesla will win.
You could be right, attack being the best form of defense and that.

I do like the look of Traore, think he has goals in him. Certainly an upgrade on El Ghazi and a different sort of player compared to Trez.

Just nice to be going into this game with confidence.

Though only on for a short spell, I thought Traore showed a bit of class last night. I’m talking about touch and movement in tight situations. He also got in the right position for a clear header which he should have done better with as well as scoring 2 on international duty. True, Trez is undoubtedly the harder worker so we can’t have both. If it’s unlocking defences Traore is the man, but Trez is doing enough to keep his place. I’m sure Dean will see it that way with the bonus of bringing Traore on at the mo. I think T will be starting fairly soon though and I think we’ll be stronger for it.

I think Traore is better as an impact sub at the moment. Let Trez run himself into the ground for 70 mins and Traore come on against tiring legs.

Yep.
Trez Bremner adds to the midfield/defence during the early parts of the game - keeping it tight and still has the ability to make a chance up front. Then when the space starts to open up we bring on our super-sub.

Trezeguet is starting to remind me of James Milner. His work ethic last night was second to none and he's starting to show glimpses of confidence and quality on the ball. His positioning during attacking play still isn't fantastic but he's certainly doing enough to keep his place. I haven't really respected him until the last two or three games, even when he scored important goals last season I laughed them off. He's winning me around.

Anyway, back on topic, I'd keep the same team again against Leeds. This is going to be a different kind of game to the other four we have played so far, Leeds won't approach the game with a lack of respect like Liverpool or a lack of quality like Sheffield and Fulham, and they'll play at a far higher gear and a much higher level of intensity than Leicester.

As I said above, Trezeguet (probably our weakest starting player on paper) has really earned some respect and Targett had his best game of the season by far last night. We need to keep improving and developing, we look good but it easily could have gone the other way last night if Vardy was fit. Friday will be a real test I think.

As far as I can tell we've never won our opening 5 games of any season at any level in our entire history!

A massive chance for these guys to go and put themselves in the record books, and when you consider they're doing it in the top flight in an era when it's harder to win games than ever before it would be an absolutely incredible acheivement!

That said. 2-0 Leeds. :cry:

Reserving judgement on Leeds until after tonight. Over the last couple of years, the dogheads have become a yardstick, a competent team who can play a bit. The result and the key stats of the game will give us an insight. Despite playing "well" they have only got 1 unexpected result, and that was a draw.

Reserving judgement on Leeds until after tonight. Over the last couple of years, the dogheads have become a yardstick, a competent team who can play a bit. The result and the key stats of the game will give us an insight. Despite playing "well" they have only got 1 unexpected result, and that was a draw.

Literally came on to say the same, will watch tonight and see what they're really about, we'll have an extra day to prepare/rest and I'm sure Deano will be telling the team to watch the game tonight as well.