Aston Villa v Ipswich Town - Match Thread - Sat 26th January, 3pm | Page 9 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Ipswich Town - Match Thread - Sat 26th January, 3pm

Win is a win I suppose.

Wonder what the point of Davis & O'Hare on the bench is if they aren't getting any time against the worst team in the division at home.
Oh well onwards and erm upwards

He seems to have lost his bottle when it comes to playing attacking football looks more like bruce every week Whelan and hourihane = shit midfield. When will he learn.
Barney and Jedinak the only senior replacements available. Doesn't fill you with confidence does it hightrinity. Very shaky defence so don't think it is the time for O'Hare at al. Hope we see them soon though - Can't increase their value sitting on the bench.

Lots of reports this morning that O'Hare is on his way to Carlisle next week on loan until end of the season. If we dont get a new LB and a Centre Mid this week the play offs are out of reach. We are nowhere near as good as last season and we didnt quite have enough then.

we're not killing off games. Enough chances to have at least trebled our scoreline. Only bright point from this season so far is the prospect of an almost 40 year record finally being broken. Come on Tammy - a couple next week to destroy Reading and you're in the history books young man (just a pity we can't afford you as a permanent signing).

Win is a win I suppose.

Wonder what the point of Davis & O'Hare on the bench is if they aren't getting any time against the worst team in the division at home.
Oh well onwards and erm upwards
Very annoying that again another manager is not letting the youth progress

DS's substitutions are obviously what he sees being required at the moment in time. Not even Kodjia got on the field today. Net result was that we won, which is by far away the most important thing. If we'd have been winning 3-0 as we could have been I think he'd be more inclined to let O'Hare and Davis have a go.

I guess its a balancing act. If Deano plays some of the youngsters and we are held to a draw or beaten by the likes of Ipswich who are struggling, he'll get slated by the vast majority of fans and the young players will have their confidence dented when the crowd get restless. If he doesn't he gets fans saying why not play them. I think the likes of O Hare, Davis and Green will start to feature if there is no chance of promotion and no chance of relegation. Whilst we are just outside the top 6 I can't see them getting alot of game time except for cameo appearances for 30 minutes or so. I think it's more likely these younger players will start to show in pre season in summer. Smith knows he needs to bring the age of the squad down next season and I'm sure he has one eye on some of our own to come through and push for first team football.

Another poor performance but a win so it will be viewed differently.
I don't have that winning feeling tonight, not sure why.
McGinn and Abraham carried us yet again.

I've got to the stage now that when we have a player down injured and I can't see who it is , I check its not tammy or John

Whoever said Abraham isn’t a team player last week really needs to give their head a wobble ??‍♂️ Great performance from him and McGinn as ever today, unlucky not to get a hatrick and McGinn unlucky not to get himself on the scoresheet too. We weren’t great but we should’ve put more than 2 past them.

That performance summed up what we are at present...a very average Championship team with a very good goalscorer at this level and with a good Championship midfielder who puts in 100% every game. Other than that, I thought Elphick had a decent game but the rest were very average to woeful. Without Grealish in the long term I think we would finish 13th-16th. If he comes back in a couple of weeks we might just scrape into the top 10 before a summer of rebuilding most of the starting eleven.