Aston Villa v Fulham, Sat 21st Oct @ 3pm | Page 8 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Fulham, Sat 21st Oct @ 3pm

As terrible as Blues are, there’s that fairy headline with Isaac Vassell doing a Stern John, be fooking typical!

An excellent performance and well deserved three points against a decent team. Surprised to read earlier in the thread, well perhaps not too surprised, moans and groans about us 'sitting back'. It's as if some have to find a negative slant. If we can't criticise the team selection, the formation, the 'dinosaur' tactics, the commitment, the desire, the substitutions, the result...all of which were spot on today, what the hell can we focus on? Yep that bloody awful 'sitting back' rubbish clearly encouraged by Bruce...! No sorry, we didn't sit back today. Yes of course Fulham pushed us back when they were throwing everything at us for an equaliser but other than the fantastic save from Johnstone I can't remember them creating too many chances. Really impressed with how we pressed them especially in the first half. We gave them little opportunity to play out from the back and they often then resorted to a long ball which was easily dealt with by Terry and Chester. Impossible to keep that up for 90 minutes and yes we did tire but I never saw us 'sitting back' for long periods as suggested by some. Impressed by our midfield today. Hourihane much more effective in the 5, Whelan was solid, he's never going to be spectacular, but was far from the 'useless ****' as described by one poster during the game, give the bloke a break, and Albert was excellent. Onomah and Snodgrass also put a shift in. So all in all, an enjoyable afternoon, a committed and disciplined performance from all of them, one defeat in 10 so no complaints from me. Bring on the Blues! :94:

Good result. Bruce is shite but the likes of John Terry are helping us get results in games we would've dropped last season. Hopefully this will be enough to get us to the playoffs.

Langoe66 - 21/10/2017 22:06

An excellent performance and well deserved three points against a decent team. Surprised to read earlier in the thread, well perhaps not too surprised, moans and groans about us 'sitting back'. It's as if some have to find a negative slant. If we can't criticise the team selection, the formation, the 'dinosaur' tactics, the commitment, the desire, the substitutions, the result...all of which were spot on today, what the hell can we focus on? Yep that bloody awful 'sitting back' rubbish clearly encouraged by Bruce...! No sorry, we didn't sit back today.

I think the same many times when looking at the match thread walking back to the car. I sometimes wonder if i have watched the same game but you have to remember that watching on some crappy website is different than actually being there and seeing the whole pitch and set up from whatever angle in the stands. (That is not a dig at those that cannot get to games btw).
Entirely agree we didnt sit back to the extent that has has been described. At times we did but it was at the correct time in the game. You cannot sustain press, press, press for 90 mins.

Having said that there was a bloke behind me today who was banging on and on all game like Fulham were playing us of the park. On 85 mins he was berating the team for not closing down the Fulham keeper on the edge of their box!. Erm , no mate, at that stage of the game you need to be in your defensive shape to protect the lead not going gung ho chasing lost causes. That last 10 minutes today with the midfield and defence packed Fulham had nowhere to go and not a clue to get any meaningful attempt on target. I wonder at some peoples understanding of the game at times.

Bikini Inspector - 21/10/2017 22:27

Good result. Bruce is shite but the likes of John Terry are helping us get results in games we would've dropped last season. Hopefully this will be enough to get us to the playoffs.

Bruce's legs have gone but Terry still has a lot to offer.

Come on, who bought Terry.
Credit where credits due

A much much better performance.

Yes it could have been 5-5 , yes we were cut apart down the wings, but the fact is we were on the front foot and attacked, and if we do that, I would say 9 times out of 10 we will win because simply our players are better than the oppositions (mostly).

I thought Adomah and Terry were just utterly superb (Terry shaded motm for me). I want to see that save again, coz from the Holte, that looked as good as anything I have seen in nearly 40 years.

Really, the only negatives I can say is I cant wait for Jedi to be back coz Whelan just looks like Westwood, Snodgrass is just meh, when he is capable of much more, and god knows what Davis was on, all he had to do was run around and put them under pressure but he just stood there.

The positives are obvious but special mention to Kodjia who worked his bloody socks off, and although it didnt quite come off, his work opened up space for others.

Now for the big one !

Erod - 22/10/2017 00:00

Bikini Inspector - 21/10/2017 22:27

Bruce's legs have gone but Terry still has a lot to offer.

Come on, who bought Terry.
Credit where credits due

Give Calderwood a run out

I felt more comfortable towards the end of the first half and seeing the game out with ten men behind the ball. An open game towards the end only suited Fulham, they had the better spells in both parts of the game but we had bodies in the box to clear.

Good move in putting De Laet right wing, Elmo looked confused but it forced him to stay deep whilst RDL would naturally sit deep unless there’s a floating back post ball on offer.

Tactics were spot on today, everything I wanted pre game couldn’t fault it.

One thing I couldn’t understand, why did Terry celebrate in front of the Fulham fans? No doubt he got a few chants although couldn’t hear them from the Holte, but they’re a small club with only a few fans - if it was a big club I’d get it. You then get a few idiots run down to the front to have a go. All seemed a bit unnecessary to me unless I’m getting old

All the stats from Aston Villa (2) vs (1) Fulham, Villa Park, 21/10/17 Att: 30,724

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?7523719">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

A good game all round and we deserved to win perhaps more comfortably than the scoreline suggests. Bruce got it right with replacing Davies with Onomah and he caused all sorts of problems in the first half. De Laet looked good when he came on and showed that he is more than just fullback - his run to get on the end of cross from Adomah was a lung buster.
We have Taylor back from suspension after the Scum and then we have Jedinak and Grealish to come back as well - it will be like two new signings when they are fit.
We have strength in depth and if we keep clear of serious injuries, then the push for the top will continue. Wolves will not sustain their run for much longer and Cardiff will also stumble. Middlesboro don't seem to have what it takes, so it could be a straight scrap between us and Leeds!!
Give Bruce some credit, the team and the squad are starting to look the real deal for a concerted push for promotion.

PS - I forgot to add that we still have Gabby to come back as well. Just hope he is fit for the trip to the Sty next week!!

VTID

Yes it was a good move to bring De Laet on and double up on Sessegnon.

That kid will be some player considering he is only 18.

Much improved physical approach by players. Got stuck in and were allowing Fulham very little space to play in. Everyone worked hard to close players down, which allowed us to play some good stuff from it. That was the effort and work rate I expect everyone to put in every week, particularly next week or we’ll get nothing.
I can understand why Pochettino hauls up players for poor body language as it sends a positive message to the opposition and a negative one to own fans. In this respect I thought young Keenan needs a bit of guidance.

danvilla2 - 22/10/2017 07:38

One thing I couldn’t understand, why did Terry celebrate in front of the Fulham fans? No doubt he got a few chants although couldn’t hear them from the Holte, but they’re a small club with only a few fans - if it was a big club I’d get it. You then get a few idiots run down to the front to have a go. All seemed a bit unnecessary to me unless I’m getting old

Fulham are Chelsea’s local rivals. I know there is an argument about players should celebrate with their own support but I have to say if I had been good enough to play professional football and scored against blues or the baggies I wouldn’t half be tempted to do the same!

Add in that Terry gets extra (deserved?) stick from other fans, the old ‘ you gave it, now you’re going to have to take it’ rule applies for their fans.

Not sure what I made of it , thought Fulham play suicide football and made it easy for us . We closed them down quickly especially first half and the kept giving us the ball back .
Blues will be the total opposite , they'll be in our faces and hit the front two early to try and run Chester and Terry.

Thought Albert was really good again yesterday , would like to see him swap wings now and then with Snoddy just to confuse the opposition . .

Good win...we needed it though.
Still not certain about our playing 'style' but Fulham are no mugs and had we lost this one the 'danger' signs would have been back out pre Blues....
Onomah gave us a bit more in midfield. Still think Whelan is a weak link, and Blues will test our 'leggy' 30-somethings next week.....we need something from there after Wolves.
Wonder if Gabby will make the bench next week as 'nuisance' value??

I hope Agbonlahor gets nowhere near the squad. I don't think he will as he has torn a calf muscle, but it would send out a terrible sign to O'Hare , Davis and co if he suddenly started being part of the squad.

Anyway personally I think he has played his last game for us.