Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm | Page 33 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread - Sun 21 June - 4.15pm

Well, I can't bring myself to cover his after game words tonight. More shots on target than Chelsea, you're having a laugh.

That's an Eck four up front giggle if I've ever seen one.

"I have maintained all season we would finish 17th, but lose the Chelsea game and I am close to conceding we are gone. If we do lose it, it will be the manner of the defeat that will decide me on our fate."
I posted that on the relegation thread this morning.
Well the manner of our defeat was worse than anything I have seen this season.
As our situtation gets ever more desperate we become ever more clueless.
I have stuck by Smith but he shows no sign of even attempting to try something different, sticking stubbornly to that which has failed him all season.
It will be this stubbornness that will prove his undoing.
We got a massive break going one up after being hammered first half, but does he see it and learn, no he doesnt.
He comes out second half, no changes either in personel or set up and continues to get battered.
The inevitable happens and another chance gone.
Not going to actively campaign on here for his removal, but I have now got to the stage were I think it would be best all round if he went.
Yes I know he got us up last season, and the case for keeping him, but it is all going to end in tears, and we need someone with more flexibility in his approach to the game, someone more tactically aware, who can change it when its going wrong.

I've been off so I haven't read all of today's posts. If I'm repeating previous posts I'm sorry.
We need to win games. The system we use isn't working and won't work in enough of the games we have left. We know we'll concede in most of our remaining games so,to get anything out of a game, we'll need to score 2 or more goals. We won't do that with 1 player up front.
We need 2 up front to have any chance I.e. 4-4-2 for example. People will say that we would be wide open using such a system and the likes of Man.U. Wolves, Liverpool and Arsenal would overwhelm us. They'll beat us anyway because our system won't create enough goals.Maybe using our present system we might get a draw or two. Big deal! That leaves us trying to beat Newcastle, Everton, Palace and West Ham. Using our present system. The points needed to stay up are open to debate but I don't see us getting enough to save us using this system.

Championship team ,championship manager.
Defend for 90 minutes.....but once the opposition get one they get more.
Why is smith stood up on the stands? He's had enough time to analyse where we go wrong in lockdown. Terry might as well go back to chelsea.
Another inevitable outcome. ...even with a gift before half time.

Said earlier if we keep doing the same things, and expect a different result, there is something very wrong.

I am not as flat or angry as some of you, I feel for you, just spoke with an ex player and said I feel like I'm a moaner on here sometimes, he said no, just a realist. I don't have optimism left with us, because I don't think we've been very good for a few decades and probably, being a bit slow on the uptake (!) it is only in recent times I've realised what a hellishly boring team/club we have become.

I didn't expect anything other than relegation and that is what we look like we are getting. Not a pessimist, just what I see.

I also said earlier (I think?!) I don't actually get upset losing v world class players, but 16% in the second half? How can that not upset you? How can Smith defend and say they did well? He has set the tone, the tone is acceptance.

Acceptance is :surrender: and in my life, that is something I really don't understand.

How can he / the team not see, that to have a hope v a better team, you have to go for them hell for leather, for 90 mins and go down (if you have to) fighting?

Too busy with their hair and poncing around, or going out doing god knows what during lockdown, to really give a toss about our beloved club.

Playing Coventry at St Andrews next season and probably get punished by Callum O'Hare, How low can we go.

"I have maintained all season we would finish 17th, but lose the Chelsea game and I am close to conceding we are gone. If we do lose it, it will be the manner of the defeat that will decide me on our fate."
I posted that on the relegation thread this morning.
Well the manner of our defeat was worse than anything I have seen this season.
As our situtation gets ever more desperate we become ever more clueless.
I have stuck by Smith but he shows no sign of even attempting to try something different, sticking stubbornly to that which has failed him all season.
It will be this stubbornness that will prove his undoing.
We got a massive break going one up after being hammered first half, but does he see it and learn, no he doesnt.
He comes out second half, no changes either in personel or set up and continues to get battered.
The inevitable happens and another chance gone.
Not going to actively campaign on here for his removal, but I have now got to the stage were I think it would be best all round if he went.
Yes I know he got us up last season, and the case for keeping him, but it is all going to end in tears, and we need someone with more flexibility in his approach to the game, someone more tactically aware, who can change it when its going wrong.

What matters at the moment is staying up, not whether Smith goes or not. Question is how. We're still not out of it. The Newcastle game is critical.

As to Dean, he has 8 games to convince us (or maybe the owners) that it's worthwhile him staying. If we were falling apart I'd be inclined to give up on Dean and give JT a go, but we're not there yet. And the critical thing whatever is us staying up. We might yet strike lucky.

I am not a person who has ever accepted mediocrity hence my anger towards the manager, players, CEO and recruitment team.

we where very lucky to be in front in the first place to much sitting back letting them come at us chucking up to davis who did his best but against 3 it was a losing battle no support then to start second half like we did the first is naff sitting back again may have been lucky with one of the goals all match you could see it coming same old same old every bloody match
58 goals conceded. We can't defend anyway!

I just don't get this 433 nonsense which ends up as 451 every game because our wide players don't stay up field they are expected to play fullback.
Jack is our best player and he's playing left-back, we can all see he needs to play central and run at the CB's WTF is the matter with Smith, it's obvious to us all including Jack who doesn't want to play there.

I'm fuming

I haven’t read through all pages yet but I’m fed up of seeing exactly the same thing expecting to get the same result. Isn’t there a saying about only a fool does the same thing and expect the same result?

I want to love Smith, I thought he had brains. I thought he was something different and the circumstances of him coming in with some of the wealthiest owners in football being a Villa fan would see us through this season and we could build next season.

It isn’t solely the manager. Jack isn’t the leader we need on the pitch right now. Fair enough we conceded, Chelsea were the better team. But we should’ve sat right for ten minutes and got our composure. The lockdown saga was the perfect time to take the captaincy pressure off him, let him focus on his game, and give to to Mings who was hoofing balls into the stands right after they scored in frustration.

Jack hasn’t really been in the game for the last 3 games that I can recall, and since the turn of the new year I cant recall that’s he’s played particularly well without going through the fixtures to remind myself (perhaps Brighton away if that was 2020). He’s out of position and out of the game, he’s not doing the team any favours.

We think the sun shines out of his arse because he had a brummie accent but both him and Smith - as captain and manager - need to get in a room first thing tomorrow morning, get a few things off their chest and then figure out what they’re going to change for the next game.

If I see 4-3-fucking-3 which as 57 says is actually 4-5-1, I’m probably going to switch off on Wednesday metaphorically.

We now travel to play against a manager I ended up hating for his football on the pitch (not him personally) who is in a mid table dreamworld compared to our shambles.

I don’t see any other blame on where we’re at now except Smith. The players have blown themselves out of their arses this season and it just hasn’t been good enough. They’re not good enough, but I don’t think it’s a case of they’re not trying.

A couple of managerial masterstrokes - Burnley, Liverpool and Spurs to name a few - and we could be 5 points better off. That’s a huge incremental difference.