Aston Villa v Burnley Match Thread. | Page 30 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Burnley Match Thread.

Maybe I'm being a little too kind to El Ghazi or reading too much into it but there is a lot to be said about the psycology of football and trying to gain every little advantage when it comes to influencing referees.

It could be that he thought by going off it would put doubt into the refs mind as to whether the goal should have stood and therefore he may look to even things up later on in the game.

Chances are he's really not that clever and he's just a wimp, but it's a possiblity.

Whatever the formation, please, please do not EVER play that fool Taylor again. Burnley focused on him as soon as he came on, Jay Rod pulled onto him for the 1st goal & for the 2nd, Taylor was defending the edge of the area (as usual). Lowton had an age to control the ball & pick out Wood for the goal. Very concerned that fans are saying we are solid defensively. HOW? Two of the most basic goals any team will ever concede, ball lumped into the box for a lump to head.

Yep, agreed JPA. We could so easily have knicked a few more points with better game management and be top half.

Dean Smith will turn this around, we are just a smidge off in vital aspects of each game. Get this right and we'll climb the table. Ever the optimist, I think we'll start in the next two games - 4 points.

Can't really win as a manager unless the luck goes your way.
I mean we could have tried to shut up shop in a couple of games that we've gone on to lose but at Spurs, we did park the bus and still lost.
I know what the crowd would have been like had we shut up shop at 1-0 against Burnley

Whatever the formation, please, please do not EVER play that fool Taylor again. Burnley focused on him as soon as he came on, Jay Rod pulled onto him for the 1st goal & for the 2nd, Taylor was defending the edge of the area (as usual). Lowton had an age to control the ball & pick out Wood for the goal. Very concerned that fans are saying we are solid defensively. HOW? Two of the most basic goals any team will ever concede, ball lumped into the box for a lump to head.

Burnley Played 3 strikers second half and hit diagonals at our fullbacks, Jayrod and Taylor was a mismatch and I blame Smith for putting him on and for not spotting it. Taylor has been the weak link for ages but we've got away with him.
Taylor has done well by his lowly standards but he's certainly never been good enough when compared to a half-decent left-back.
He gets sucked inside and leaves the left winger to do his job for him, problem was we never had a left-winger as such on Saturday. He boils my blood more than Hourihane who at least can kick a ball

I just took a quick look at the league table. The teams we have failed to beat are 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th. The one win we have came against the team currently sitting 15th. So, if the adage that we need to beat the teams around us is true, then we are on track.
Having said that I Don’t pay too much attention to the table this early if I’m honest....

Again we waste so many opportunities by trying to leather the ball rather than place it.

We look great at times but are conceding very soft goals for this level.

Burnley Played 3 strikers second half and hit diagonals at our fullbacks, Jayrod and Taylor was a mismatch and I blame Smith for putting him on and for not spotting it. Taylor has been the weak link for ages but we've got away with him.
Taylor has done well by his lowly standards but he's certainly never been good enough when compared to a half-decent left-back.
He gets sucked inside and leaves the left winger to do his job for him, problem was we never had a left-winger as such on Saturday. He boils my blood more than Hourihane who at least can kick a ball
Is Hause injured, if not why does he not at least make the bench.

Reckon the one area where our lack of experience is showing is game management. Not surprising really in that we don't have a single player with that sort of experience. However, we are where we are and I think the best plan is simply to carry on scoring goals as when we can. We're not far off, we've been hit by bad decisions and a lack of luck. We've shown that we can compete, in a way some of our rivals can't.

You would have thought Hause over Taylor considering how Burnley play.

Harsh to drop him completely out of squad but hey.

It's harsh on Steer being on the bench but he's simply not as good as Heaton the list is endless. Even harsher on Luiz who is a good player
It's a 25 man squad and 10 of them aren't getting a look in even when we've lost 4 from 7
Sorry he just boils my blood

41,500 people and 22 players thought that SJM goal was ok to the point of being ready to kick-off but after a good minute of replaying the goal some clown managed to find fault, this luck must go our way at some point surely.
I'm now at the point where instead of celebrating a goal I'm watching the ref cupping his earpiece.

It's harsh on Steer being on the bench but he's simply not as good as Heaton the list is endless. Even harsher on Luiz who is a good player
It's a 25 man squad and 10 of them aren't getting a look in even when we've lost 4 from 7
Sorry he just boils my blood
I take it from your and Aspinalls comments that Hause is not injured.
He has looked a more useful player than Taylor for the team or the bench with his height, strenght and ability to play more than one position.

I take it from your and Aspinalls comments that Hause is not injured.
He has looked a more useful player than Taylor for the team or the bench with his height, strenght and ability to play more than one position.

Probably be as good as Wesley upfront as well:yes:

In rugby the question is asked of the fourth official (where he feels he needs the assist as he doesn't have a clear view). In football, VAR is at the behest of the fourth official - surely he should keep his beak out of it until asked by the official ref.

That way, the minor infractions (accidental hand ball, offside by the width of a cigarette paper etc) will not stop the flow of the game or the goal standing. The obvious disadvantage to this is that the goal at Crystal Palace would still not have stood, but VAR didn't want to (or couldn't) impact on that poor ref decision. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

For me, the ref should ask for assistance if he was unsure. That way the game would flow better and we wouldn't get retrospective decisions. The ref would still be in charge and less afraid to ask. I think VAR currently undermines the ref.

41,500 people and 22 players thought that SJM goal was ok to the point of being ready to kick-off but after a good minute of replaying the goal some clown managed to find fault, this luck must go our way at some point surely.
I'm now at the point where instead of celebrating a goal I'm watching the ref cupping his earpiece.
I posted the very same comment on Saturday. This VAR needs sorting out big time because the Premier League are in danger of killing the goose that lays the golden egg because at the moment it is not fit for purpose. And it doesnt help when the powers that be issue statements as they did earlier in the season get used to it because its here to stay.
I would suggest as a mere supporter that if they dont get it right its not here to stay because the fans of the lesser teams, such as us will just stop going to matches to watch this shit.

A million reasons to be cheerful, christ 12 months ago biffa bacon was still in charge of the 1st team.