Aston Villa v Brentford, Sat 9th Sept - 3pm, Villa Park | Page 14 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Brentford, Sat 9th Sept - 3pm, Villa Park

A thoroughly depressing afternoon....we made Brentford look like Barcelona and gave them the same kind of respect. Stood off them far too much and the only surprise at 4.55pm was that we'd scraped a point. Been a supporter of Bruce, like the bloke and desperately want him to succeed but far too many abject performances with only the odd glimmer of light....not good enough and will ultimately pay the price unless matters improve significantly over the next 3 weeks.

Things that bother me:
1. Not only do we not have a plan B..... it appears we don't have a plan A either.
2. Complete random team selections - the times villa have played well recently it's because of a fluke found team selection thru injuries.
3. Inability to do the basics - passing, movement, set pieces.
4. The fact that our goalkeeper had been the MOTM for 4 out of 5 games.
5. Steve Bruce's post match repitition: "it wasn't good enough and we know it wasn't, we have to do something about it and go again for the next match" Bruce has been in a Ferguson team, no way would a team underperform for sir Alex- learn from him!
6. My own silliness of getting hyped up and excited for matches every week only to be disappointed.
7. Our transfer dealings - Elmo and snodgrass were buddy buys.
8. How we buy good players/ get good coaches and then they nearly instantly lose their ability once they put on the jersey. This had been going on years so can't blame current coaches.
9. Manager bolloxology - players looked jaded.... it's 6 games in and they look tired? Poor chaps. Sherwood, although entertaining, was a master of it too.
10. My own OCD that I have to finish a list with 10 points.

sirdennis - 10/9/2017 13:11

Why we didn't put a man on their No.15 is still beyond me. Twice last year he ran the game and again we let him do the same.

Why Burnley bought Westwood instead of him is also puzzling.
He had the freedom of the park. I kept looking for our equivalent but couldn't spot him.

If this no 15 is that good I don't think one of ours man to man marking would bother him. Might give him more options. Control the game then he doesn't have the ball.
The thing is have we anyone to make the opposition think of man marking him ?

Yet again I feel that I've been had over by the Villa and I'm disappointed in myself as much as anything.
I was so confident we would batter Brentford ahead of kick off, I predicted 4-0 in the pre match thread and I set myself up for the big size 11 in the balls yesterday afternoon became.
I really want Bruce to succeed as I'm sick and tired of the managerial merry go round and time wasted in the process , however I can't see him lasting long with shit like yesterday being churned out .
Crowds are falling (only 29k again yesterday) and the club is in a mess , 18th in the 2nd division is a very shoddy position

I'm also sick of the managerial merry go round, but until we get one that performs this is how it has to be.

Surely by now everyone can see that it's just not working out with Bruce and that he needs to be replaced.

Fulford - 11/9/2017 01:21

I'm also sick of the managerial merry go round, but until we get one that performs this is how it has to be.

Surely by now everyone can see that it's just not working out with Bruce and that he needs to be replaced.

The issue is who. If Mourinho or Ferguson were waiting for the call, I'd be all for it. Big Sam seems about the best manager on the list and he probably wouldn't come to us. Some on here are calling for the return of Sherwood because Bruce is clueless when it comes to tactics. Hahahaha

THATS the problem, replacing Bruce with who? My guess is Xia will give him time to either turn it around with the 'best squad in this division'...(seriously, are we having a laugh??) OR give him enough rope to hang himself. Bloody hell he's still playing Gabby!
Going by the utter rubbish of this performance (and the THIRD TIME running we have been outplayed by Brentford in this league) it will be the latter. Probs by Xmas.
I don't see a pattern...every team on the C5 highlights looks to have more energy and movement than our 'aston villa old boys' brigade. And bruce's excuse about tiredness is ridiculous...did it stop dele alli and kane performing for spurs? TRUTH IS we need to give the kids time to adapt to this level of football...some of the seniors frankly would be better of in the Aston Manor Care Home..... :20:

Silhillvilla - 10/9/2017 16:16

Yet again I feel that I've been had over by the Villa and I'm disappointed in myself as much as anything.
I was so confident we would batter Brentford ahead of kick off, I predicted 4-0 in the pre match thread and I set myself up for the big size 11 in the balls yesterday afternoon became.
I really want Bruce to succeed as I'm sick and tired of the managerial merry go round and time wasted in the process , however I can't see him lasting long with shit like yesterday being churned out .
Crowds are falling (only 29k again yesterday) and the club is in a mess , 18th in the 2nd division is a very shoddy position
Reminds me of Brentford away after we had bought the 'who's who of the championship' in january...they slaughtered us 3-0 if you remember. if anything we are worse now than then....I bet Hogan wishes he was playing alongside Woods at Brentford again!

BodyButter - 10/9/2017 16:43

The issue is who. If Mourinho or Ferguson were waiting for the call, I'd be all for it. Big Sam seems about the best manager on the list and he probably wouldn't come to us. Some on here are calling for the return of Sherwood because Bruce is clueless when it comes to tactics. Hahahaha

As I keep saying, the guy at Fulham apparently wants out and they play some lovely attacking football.

MAYBE WE SHOULD WAIT for EDDIE HOWE to take Bournemouth down and go for him...no doubt he will fail at VP too though!

robbali - 10/9/2017 17:20

MAYBE WE SHOULD WAIT for EDDIE HOWE to take Bournemouth down and go for him...no doubt he will fail at VP too though!

I think Eddie Howe is a bit like David Moyes in that he moved on and failed. A one club man imo.

The guy at Fulham. Eddie Fucking Howe. This is exactly why I don't see the point in swapping manager unless the right Man is available. Whoever comes in will need time and patience , something that is an alien concept to many fans .

Fulford - 10/9/2017 17:15

BodyButter - 10/9/2017 16:43

As I keep saying, the guy at Fulham apparently wants out and they play some lovely attacking football.

So you are suggesting a manager whose name you don't even know ?
Interesting.

Hopefully it just easier to say the guy at Fulham rather than spell some foreign name?

Melon Donkey - 10/9/2017 20:13

Interesting.

Hopefully it just easier to say the guy at Fulham rather than spell some foreign name?

Is it still Jokanovic? Yes, Fulham play some very good football it has to be said. 'Jokanovic' is definitely more Twitter friendly than 'guy at Fulham'.

JuanPabloAngel - 10/9/2017 20:22

Melon Donkey - 10/9/2017 20:13

Interesting.

Is it still Jokanovic? Yes, Fulham play some very good football it has to be said. 'Jokanovic' is definitely more Twitter friendly than 'guy at Fulham'.

Without looking it up I wouldn't know who it is JPA. I consider myself to have a decent knowledge of football. The fact that I don't even know who this supposed saviour of Avfc is concerns me.

1958Villan - 9/9/2017 19:42

While I fully understand and would normally agree with you CDX, I think you have forgotten that no matter is owner, or manager, next season, we are losing,

That's the club losing at least eight(8) players two seasons running. I haven't counted players like Kodjia, Hogan, McCormack, Grealish, Chester, Davis, O'Hare and several other youngsters asking for transfers.
And to be brutally honest, I can't see any of them wanting to renew for a League One side, which we will be, if we don't change manager and coaching staff pretty quickly.

I see where you are coming I suppose what I mean is we shouldnt be looking to overturn the playing staff like we've done most seasons. Lambert set a terrible precedent where he'd buy 5 lads one might work out and then he'd buy another 5 and turf a few out. The debacle at left back for 3 or 4 seasons was ridiculous.

McParlandTheGreat - 9/9/2017 21:12

Also reckon the fans are realists. The fans were delighted at the Norwich and Wigan wins, even though we knew Norwich were still bedding in and Wigan were a division below. Why? Because they saw something positive on the pitch. That's what's missing at the moment. The fans may have been disappointed, even concerned, at RDM's start, but if the club had stuck with him I don't think there would have been a huge outcry. The killer at the moment is that Bruce has had nigh on a year and at no time has shown he's on top of the job.

Yeah you're right to a degree and when Bruce first started there was some positivity. We got results and didnt play well so I get maybe he wasnt giving as much optimism as possible but things just seemed to sharply change after the initial rough spell.

We're a fractured community and I dont feel anyone is with the team like we were with other teams of the past.