Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 98 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Rare as frogs teeth one of Charlie's goals, got one or two late in his career. Proper player proper football. Oh for Ray Graydon now instead of Trez he;d be the PL top scorer

All I can say about Graydon is that whenever the subject of wingers is brought up my dad will claim we need a winger that'll get 20 goals a season "like Ray Graydon".

What a disgrace and a shambles.

( the fact we haven't won the FA Cup since then. Not the fine upstanding forum member)

50 years ago today we beat Man U, with their "Holy Trinity" of Best, Law and Charlton, 2-1 in front of 62,500 at VP. Goals from Andy Lochhead and Pat McMahon capping an unbelievable night. When that second goal went in I remember starting off at the back of the Holte and somehow ending up about halfway down in all the euphoria!!!!
The start of the madness of the next 17 years going from division 3 to European Champions then back to Division 2.....what a rollercoaster of a ride!!

50 years ago today we beat Man U, with their "Holy Trinity" of Best, Law and Charlton, 2-1 in front of 62,500 at VP. Goals from Andy Lochhead and Pat McMahon capping an unbelievable night. When that second goal went in I remember starting off at the back of the Holte and somehow ending up about halfway down in all the euphoria!!!!
The start of the madness of the next 17 years going from division 3 to European Champions then back to Division 2.....what a rollercoaster of a ride!!
I was there too but could not get into the Holte as the queues were massive, so I managed to get into the Witton End. There were loads of 'scuffles' all the way through but our 2nd goal prompted a full scale dust up.
As you say the following period up until 82 were amazing and winning Division 3, being at Sheffield Wednesday when we got promoted, being at Wembley for League
Cup finals, being at Highbury under the clock and being in Rotterdam were great memories.
Just need the FA Cup to make the full set now - we need to do another job on the Dippers in January. 7-2 wil do nicely 👍🙌

That was Dads first ever football match, and I can still see his face now as he picked himself up off the floor of the Holte after the winner hit the back of the net.
Will never forget that night.
Edit, he impounded my brothers ticket for the 1969 Spurs vs Villa FA Cup tie after the original game was snowed off on the Saturday.
He said he was to young to go, and swiped his ticket, so that was his second game.

Last edited:
I believe Peter Mcparland is the only player left from that Cup winning team.When Covid finally disappears, the club should invite Peter to Villa Park so we old codgers (and you nippers) can thank the great man. Was he good? Well he played in the 1958 World Cup for Northern Ireland and was selected in the team of the tournament XI. My mother grew up in Newry, Peter's home town and the Hendersons were great friends of the Mcparlands. We've had some great players from across the water.Peter,Pat Saward,Danny Blanchflower,Eamonn Deasey,Stan Staunton,,Andy Townsend and Ray Houghton (l know),Sammy Morgan, Connor and some bloke called God who should have been arrested for making playing football easy.

I believe Peter Mcparland is the only player left from that Cup winning team.When Covid finally disappears, the club should invite Peter to Villa Park so we old codgers (and you nippers) can thank the great man. Was he good? Well he played in the 1958 World Cup for Northern Ireland and was selected in the team of the tournament XI. My mother grew up in Newry, Peter's home town and the Hendersons were great friends of the Mcparlands. We've had some great players from across the water.Peter,Pat Saward,Danny Blanchflower,Eamonn Deasey,Stan Staunton,,Andy Townsend and Ray Houghton (l know),Sammy Morgan, Connor and some bloke called God who should have been arrested for making playing football easy.
Rebuke from brother Christy. The amazingly versatile Con Martin.

My dad always talked about how great Peter Mcparland was. He must have been something special.