Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 133 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

If you lived in the Sheffield area (as I do) then you would know how salty the Blades supporters are.

Just ask if they feel that way about Billy Sharps second at Villa Park in 2019 then. By their logic we'd have gone on to win 3-2 if that hadn't stood.

I was around 11 years old. There were thousands of Germans walking around Aston in long green parka coats chanting "Uwe, Uwe" after their hero Uwe Seeler.

.Aston Hall was lit up by candlelight, the biggest funfair I've ever seen was all over Aston Park and the whole atmosphere was wonderful without any trouble at all........ Well, I didn't see any!

I always remember going into the ground when the gates opened 15 minutes from the end of the game between Argentina V Spain and I was blown away by the vivid colours on the pitch of the team's kits.
Just reading back through the post. When the finaI was on I was a young squaddie in Singapore. There was about 80 of us sleeping in one barrack room and we rented a little Black and White TV.
It was that small and I was so far back I could hardly see the TV let alone the pictures on it. I decided go in search of a bar that might have had a TV but had no luck so missed the game.

It surprises me how many Germans made the trip over here considering it was only 20 years after WW2. I cant imagine they got a warm welcome from many people here
I was fifteen at the time, saw all the games at Villa Park, and don't remember any animosity towards the German fans at all.
People were really interested to see foreign players, at international level strut their stuff.

I saw three games at Villa Park- including West Germany. I was only 7 but as you say, don't recall any war sentiment.
My mom came to one game, unusually. She had no sense of smell and when some wag dropped a stink bomb in the Holte she was the only one who didn't react and ended up stood alone as everyone backed off in disgust. The implication was very obvious

Yes and no, JW. Arguably we were lucky when Doug took over from the old guard. Unlucky that Doug outstayed his welcome, Randy was a lamb to the slaughter, Tony was Tony. Clubs like Villa, Everton Newcastle will always attract speculators. Hopefully, this time we've hit the JACKPOT.

We needed a multi-millionaire and we got a millionaire in Ellis along with his over-inflated ego, and corner shop mentality that always held us back.

As money in football became even more important we then needed a multi-billionaire but we got a billionaire in Lerner along with his mother in the background monitoring how much he was spending and who eventually took away the cheque-book from his plaything - To be fair, at the time he meant well but ended up totally out of his depth.

To compete with other clubs and the vast amount of money coming into the Premier League we then needed another multi-billionaire to help get us back in the top division and we were promised one with a guy called Tony Xia who we later found out was nothing more than a front for some unnamed Chinese businessmen - In time, Xia turned out to be a conman who eventually ended up locked away in a Chinese prison and very, very nearly bankrupted the club - It actually ended up a stroke of fortune that we lost the Wembley play-off against Fulham and no wonder Xia was seen slumping into his seat at the final whistle as he knew the game was up for him as well.

Aston Villa then completely fell back onto its feet with the multi-billionaires Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens (4th richest owners in the Premier League) who bought out all the club's debts that actually went back several decades that also included mortgages on older housing, property near the ground and eventually, they have financially stabilised the club by pumping millions into the Aston Villa and set about a long-term plan for the future success of Aston Villa Football Club.

The future is looking bright to have a pair of great stalwarts in charge of our great club.

Well, that's how I see it anyway.

Last edited: