Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 111 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

I always remember top man, Sir Graham, saying something like........When a big club like this is on the slide because of its size it takes a very big effort to stop the slide and get it back onto its feet.

Thank God he was that man and possessed the managerial abilities to do just that.

A wonderful, thoughtful, and kind man who I had the privilege of talking one-to-one with about all things Aston Villa for around 10 minutes whilst stood on the touchline watching the players training on the pitch at Bodymoor Heath.

I remember leaving the conversation with him feeling like a very important person such was his status and charisma and I think you can see that in my smile below.

img004.jpg

Last edited:
Happy Rotterdam Day everyone.
A great day for me - one that will never be bettered.
The Falklands war was on at the time and our ferry was sent to the South Atlantic so we had our money back from the Travellers Club and had to make our own way to the final. We went from having a 'dry boat' to one stacked with duty free. We were on the ale from 10 in the morning until 2 the following morning - what a night!
Happy days

Folks, I’ve had a cracking afternoon meeting up with old friends and long time Villa fans. We’ve drunk a few beers, reminisced about old times, recalled the daft things we did following the Villa, raised a glass to absent friends and generally enjoyed being in each other’s company. You can’t buy the memories we’ve shared.
I’m probably a bit pissed but no apologies.
UTV

Folks, I’ve had a cracking afternoon meeting up with old friends and long time Villa fans. We’ve drunk a few beers, reminisced about old times, recalled the daft things we did following the Villa, raised a glass to absent friends and generally enjoyed being in each other’s company. You can’t buy the memories we’ve shared.
I’m probably a bit pissed but no apologies.
UTV

Sounds like a wonderful day to me mate.

No apologies required.
UTV.

I remember well the chant outside the Council House with Ron on the balcony with the trophy - "Saunders, Saunders, give us a smile, give us a smile, give us a smile" and he turned to the crowd and gave us a beaming smile - just magic.

So sad that it ended the way it did with Villa as we were on the cusp of greatness and with a little more foresight.......

Ah well, RIP Ron.

I didn't like the way he left but he certainly was a good player for us who I was sorry to see leave Villa Park.

Anyway, Happy Birthday David.

Did he leave under a cloud? Don't remember anything about that.
Italy was the league to play in at the time so I wouldn't begrudge him moving out there and Big Ron seemed more than happy to cash in on Platty and rebuild the squad with his transfer fee

Didn't Doug claim Bari never paid the fee, he just got a visit from some Mafiosa's.

I think the cloud as I remember it is he basically whitewashed the fact we as a club helped make him and if you listened to his recollections, he never played for us.

Yes. If you listened to him its like he emerged at Italia 90 fully formed and immediately went to play in Italy.