Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 109 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

I mislaid mine when we moved house 😢
Sad I know but the memories of that season and that day will stay with me until I join the Holte Enders in the Sky.
There were loads of Villa cars coming back up the M1 with scarves and people hanging out of the windows. We had all the windows wound down and we had "We are the Champions" by Queen blasting out of the stereo and us singing it to every car that we went past.
What a day! Sadly two of our party are no longer with us and I will look skywards at 5:00pm on Sunday to acknowledge them as Holte Enders in the Sky.

I too remember stopping at the services on the M1, full of Villa and Widnes fans, who had the Rugby League Challenge Cup at Wembley, the place was full of ecstatic celebrating fans. That day will live forever with me possibly even eclipsing, probably not too popular this one, the European Cup win. That league season was hard with almost everyone else willing Ipswich and Bobby Robson to win the title and with only 14 players used, absolutely phenomenal.

I too remember stopping at the services on the M1, full of Villa and Widnes fans, who had the Rugby League Challenge Cup at Wembley, the place was full of ecstatic celebrating fans. That day will live forever with me possibly even eclipsing, probably not too popular this one, the European Cup win. That league season was hard with almost everyone else willing Ipswich and Bobby Robson to win the title and with only 14 players used, absolutely phenomenal.
Always the wimp,l drove around Northfield, Bartley Green,,Harborne et al in a trance. Ended up at Dad's house to learn the denouement. As I got out of the car,a newspaper delivery boy had a tranny to his ear. The little ###### was ecstatic, the Villa were losing and had blown the title..Into Dad's, Saint Bosco scored and the Healy clan went fucking mental. Longest wait ever,then bliss.

Last edited by a moderator:
40 years ago today, (2nd May 1981) many of us on this forum stood in the Clock End and experienced going from feeling down to total exhilaration as news drifted through of Bosko Jankovic (RIP) scoring for Middlesbrough thus ensuring we rightly became English League Champions.

I'll never forget that day and the wonderful welcome home to my Bournemouth local pub and my friends inside turning the lights down and clapping as my mate and I walked in and Mick the landlord presented a Claret & Blue Cake complete with candles and Villa Subbuteo players.........Still brings a bloody tear to my eyes!

Just look at that packed-out Clock End - Man, those are memories only death can take away.

Last edited: