Villa 5 City 12
Cards
Villa 2 Y City 1 Y (Fernie)
On Target
Villa 1 City 12
Woodwork
Villa 0 City 0
Off Target
Villa 6 City 10 (PL site has 7 Villa shots, City 22 - City OS Villa 4 off target, City 8)

Attendance 41,823

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads.

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/46815

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2019/aston-villa-v-manchester-city

18:21
'Aguero was outstanding'
FT: Aston Villa 1-6 Man City

Leon Osman
Former Everton midfielder on BBC Radio 5 Live

That was superb from Sergio Aguero. Big players turn up in big moments. He played phenomenally today. Even if you take his goals out, he did ever so well. He looked lively straight from the start, his movement was great, his passing looked sharp, his first touch too. All outstanding. He's had an incredible afternoon. He deserves it for what he has created over the years for Manchester City.

18:29
'City are incredible'

Robbie Savage
Ex-Wales midfielder on BBC Radio 5 Live

I think Mahrez has been brilliant in recent weeks for Manchester City. He is so difficult to mark. Today they have left Sterling on the bench, they have Sane coming back. In forward areas they are incredible. We talk about them a lot defensively, they have conceded a late goal here and I think Pep Guardiola will be disappointed they have not kept a clean sheet. It looks like they are now putting in those consecutive high performances after a slight dip.

Posted at 18:31
'I am so happy'

Man City striker Sergio Aguero, speaking to Sky Sports: "I am so happy for the record but thank you to my team-mates because they help me. I am so happy. I want to keep scoring more goals but it all depends on my team-mates."

On whether he can break Alan Shearer's all-time Premier League record: "I will try. He has too many goals so I don't know. I will try."

18:36
'Aguero is a Premier League legend'
Aston Villa 1-6 Manchester City

Man City goalscorer Riyad Mahrez speaking to Sky Sports: "We try to pass to each other and try to give each other more chances to score - and that’s what this team is all about.

"The stats speak for themselves. He’s a legend for the club and Premier League. He shows it every week and I’m very happy to have him in the team.

"He has a lot of quality but he doesn’t need a lot of chances to score, so that shows how big a striker he is."

Buzz's
Player Ratings:-
Ederson- 7
did what he had to do no pressure
Cancelo - 8 best game yet, might have scored
Stones - 8 not a foot wrong, this might just shut up the critics
Fernandinho - 8 controls the defence
Mendy - 7 still slightly careless but in all he had a good game
Mahrez - 8 took both goals really well and could have even more
Rodri- 8 was up for this one
D.Silva(C) - 7 still a menace to defences but getting back to match fitness
De Bruyne- 8 two more assists, a joy to watch
Jesus - 8 constantly at the defence ad played his part in back tracking on the end of KDB's superb assist
Aguero - 9 record-breaker the most underrated players player constantly ignore in the Teams of the Year yet he has been the most consistent scorer every season now with 12 hattricks beating Alan Shearer's record. Now the leading Foreign all-time Scorer in the Premier League

SUBS Foden* 6, Otamendi* 7, Gündogan* 6 (gave penalty away) not used Bravo, Walker, Sterling, Bernardo.

JoMUEN

Ederson- 6
Cancelo - 8
Stones - 8
Fernandinho - 7
Mendy - 7
Mahrez - 9
Rodri- 8
D.Silva(C) - 8
De Bruyne- 9
Jesus - 7
Aguero - 10

SUBS Foden 6, Otamendi 6, Gündogan 7 not used Bravo, Walker, Sterling, Bernardo.

18:47
'We are embarrassed with today'

Aston Villa manager Dean Smith, speaking to Sky Sports: "It was a chastening experience. We know they are a top class team but some of the goals we have given away were dreadful. The third one probably summed it up. They had 15 or 16 passes and we hadn't laid a glove on them. They have been allowed to pass the ball too easily and Aguero sticks it in the top corner from 20 yards.

"Mahrez got into the penalty box and under no pressure passes into the bottom corner. It is hard when you are three goals down against a team of this quality. The three players that scored today are worth more than my whole squad.

"They kept going but we shouldn't be sitting here happy with ourselves and we're not. We are embarrassed with today."

Table talk

🔹 We were third in the Premier League at the start of play, with 14 wins from 21 matches, but a win saw us leapfrog second placed Leicester City, who lost 2-1 to Southampton yesterday.

🔹 We are the Premier League's highest scorers with 62 goals so far this season and have conceded 25.

18:49
'Aguero is incredible'

Man City manager Pep Guardiola speaking to Sky Sports: "It was good performance. We had control the transitions and passes were good. It was a great result.

"Against Manchester United [Carabao Cup semi-final] they came back into the game in the second half but today we played a complete 90 minutes."

On Sergio Aguero, who overtook Thierry Henry to be the top scoring foreign Premier League player: "He's a legend and legends rise tonight. Thierry Henry is one most incredible players to play in this league and he will be proud that Sergio is the guy who breaks his record. He was a legend and Sergio is the same. To score this amount of goals means you have done for many years a lot of good things. He's been consistent for many years and so we are proud of him.

"He is the most incredible person. You cannot achieve this without being a guy who loves to play football."

On Man City's form: "If you lose the form it will be gone. We dropped points in early in the season - maybe we were not incredibly focused but even the games we lost we created chances.

"We are second ion the table and for a long time we were not there so we will try and maintain this position."

Match stats as of 12th January 2020
Head-to-head
MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
  • Aston Villa have lost 10 of their past 12 Premier League meetings with Manchester City. Their only victory in that run came back in September 2013.
  • City have kept a clean sheet in eight of the last 11 league encounters.
  • They have beaten the Villans by an aggregate score of 17-1 in their last four matches in all competitions.

Manchester City
Manchester City have dropped 19 points in 22 league matches this season. They dropped 14 points in the whole of the 2017-18 campaign and 16 points in 2018-19.
City have been trailing for five hours and seven minutes in the league this season, which is 22 minutes more than they had in their previous two campaigns combined.
Under Pep Guardiola, City has lost three of their five Premier League away games in January, winning only against Villa and Huddersfield last year.
They have conceded 20 goals in 11 away league games this season, more than they did in 19 games on the road last term.
Since the start of the 2011-12 season, no player has scored more Premier League goals against newly-promoted teams than Sergio Aguero's 34.

18:52
'Nowhere near good enough'

Aston Villa's Jack Grealish talking to Sky Sports:

"Man City are a brilliant side but our performance was nowhere near good enough. As a team we didnt get on the ball enough, want the ball enough and they did everything we didn't.

"It's hard to influence the game, especially when you have so little of the ball. We have to dust ourselves down because they are in the top three best teams in the world."

18:53
Pep - Aguero one of the best
Aston Villa 1-6 Man City

Simon Stone
BBC Sport at Villa Park

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has just been asked about Sergio Aguero in his press conference.

"Sergio is one of the best ever," he said.

"I am proud to be here when he got the record. He will die scoring goals."

18:57
'Aguero a legend like Henry'

Man City boss Pep Guardiola speaking to Match of the Day: "We enjoyed it a lot and played well. We did a lot of short passes and everyone was involved, even the defence and so was able to take control of the game.

"We moved the ball quickly so we found the space to up the tempo.

"We score a lot of goals but most important is the way we play and we were fantastic in this.

On Sergio Aguero: "We congratulated him in the dressing room. He’s a legend like Thierry Henry so it’s nice to think Sergio was the one to break the record.

"It's the consistence of Aguero and he's been doing it over a long long time and that's when it adds value.

"When someone score goals, it’s nice to be a part of it and we were with him and that’s nice for all of us."

SKY

Ederson- 7
Cancelo - 8
Stones - 7
Fernandinho - 7
Mendy - 7
Mahrez - 9
Rodri- 8
D.Silva(C) - 8
De Bruyne- 8
Jesus - 7
Aguero - 10

SUBS Foden 6, Otamendi 6, Gündogan 5 not used Bravo, Walker, Sterling, Bernardo.

19:00
Pep - Forget about Liverpool
Aston Villa 1-6 Man City

Simon Stone
BBC Sport at Villa Park

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City should 'forget" about catching Liverpool.

City have gone second in the Premier League for the first time since November but are 14 points behind Liverpool, who have a game in hand.

"We would have liked to fight against them but for many reasons we could not. Forget about them."

19:00
Pep - Forget about Liverpool
Aston Villa 1-6 Man City

Simon Stone
BBC Sport at Villa Park

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City should 'forget" about catching Liverpool.

City have gone second in the Premier League for the first time since November but are 14 points behind Liverpool, who have a game in hand.

"We would have liked to fight against them but for many reasons we could not. Forget about them."
Of course, he’s right. At some point in the not too distant, it will be a mathematical impossibility.