Aston Villa - Liverpool Sun 4th October 19.15 Thread | Page 62 | Vital Football

Aston Villa - Liverpool Sun 4th October 19.15 Thread

Trez always did have something even if it wasn’t top quality , but he’s one of those players that managers like even if the fans aren’t as keen.

Been propping him for ages whilst acknowledging the lack of quality that others berate him for - I didn't know for sure that he'd come on as he so obviously has this season of course but fook me has he earned it.

Every journeyman in the game should sit up and take notice because Trez Bremner shows what you can do with pure grit and determination and he's really started to put himself about physically too - he's a bit of a unit with his energy, I wouldn't like to play against him!

I was there in 80-82 and nobody had Des Bremner as their favourite player but he was the beating heart of that team through sheer determination that rubbed off on all those around him.

PS: Check out Jack's goal #7 with the wide view showing Trez sprinting at the top right - as Jack slots it home he's almost on his knees absolutely spent :)

Last edited:
Trez always did have something even if it wasn’t top quality , but he’s one of those players that managers like even if the fans aren’t as keen.

The difference with Trezeguet this season is he is simply performing much better than last season, I could show you diagrams but the simple fact is that compared to last seasons average, his passing has improved, tackling has tripled, interceptions have tripled, clearances have tripled, key passes has quadrupled.

We are seeing a different Trezeguet than from last season, not only that average match rating from 6.59 to 7.74.

I said it earlier, before he came to Villa he was in the Turkish league playing LW, he's then had to adapt to the Championship, adapt to the Premiership in a position he never played in his life, If he's got anything about him it's going to take him time.

Good luck to the lad and hopefully he continues proving us wrong.

Been propping him for ages whilst acknowledging the lack of quality that others berate him for - I didn't know for sure that he'd come on as he so obviously has this season of course but fook me has he earned it.

Every journeyman in the game should sit up and take notice because Trez Bremner shows what you can do with pure grit and determination and he's really started to put himself about physically too - he's a bit of a unit with his energy, I wouldn't like to play against him!

I was there in 80-82 and nobody had Des Bremner as their favourite player but he was the beating heart of that team through sheer determination that rubbed off on all those around him.
Dessy Bremner was one of those that if he played well the team played well.
You sum it up nicely, the beating heart.
Loved Des.

The difference with Trezeguet this season is he is simply performing much better than last season, I could show you diagrams but the simple fact is that compared to last seasons average, his passing has improved, tackling has tripled, interceptions have tripled, clearances have tripled, key passes has quadrupled.

We are seeing a different Trezeguet than from last season, not only that average match rating from 6.59 to 7.74.

I said it earlier, before he came to Villa he was in the Turkish league playing LW, he's then had to adapt to the Championship, adapt to the Premiership in a position he never played in his life, If he's got anything about him it's going to take him time.

Trez didn't play for us in the EFL - that was Anwar

Your're right :slap: That makes it more impressive, I rate the Turkish League lower than the Championship, so for him to jump straight into the Premiership and play in the wrong position off the bat we're kinda setting him up to fail, in a team that is already struggling and cannot afford any slackers.

He's really started to put himself about physically too - he's a bit of a unit with his energy, I wouldn't like to play against him!

This is usually where players massively struggle when they come to the EPL. The inability to stay on their feet or resist a 50/50 tussle when you're getting hassled. Trez used to lose the ball all the time or be simply swept aside when somebody went shoulder to shoulder with him.

That is an impressive transformation. That alone is significant. This is one of the reasons Hourihane can struggle because he doesn't have that physicality so he can't get tight to his man because (a) he doesn't have the power to take the ball and (b) doesn't have the pace if he gets the wrong side.

I just think that is a step up a lot of players just cant make.

I was looking over El Ghazi the other week wondering what's going on, but he seems to never of had a solid position, even before joining us he played more on the right, we then played him more on the left in the Championship, then last season we played him more on the right and this season in the cups we played him back on the left.

He just needs to go to a club at a lower level and cement a position for himself and find some consistency, You wouldn't expect any other player to keep switching position and expect his results to get better, I think he's always been a plug for us and probably Deano trying to work out his best position which hasn't worked either.

Anyway I'm pulling this slightly off topic, so I'll get back on it.

Last night we saw why we cannot afford to play El Ghazi or have journey men on the bench and force them to play, we saw against Stoke what could happen.

I don’t need diagrams for that mate, I’ve played a lot of football in my time at various levels, I can see what he offers and where he needs to improve.

My points on Trez have been mainly around the non-statical parts of football, if that makes sense.

I said before the game along with many others who would’ve agreed with or posted similar, he was tactically right for the Liverpool even if Traore has scored in every game since joining.

This is usually where players massively struggle when they come to the EPL. The inability to stay on their feet or resist a 50/50 tussle when you're getting hassled. Trez used to lose the ball all the time or be simply swept aside when somebody went shoulder to shoulder with him.

That is an impressive transformation. That alone is significant. This is one of the reasons Hourihane can struggle because he doesn't have that physicality so he can't get tight to his man because (a) he doesn't have the power to take the ball and (b) doesn't have the pace if he gets the wrong side.

I just think that is a step up a lot of players just cant make.

I think you're probably right mate and perhaps Hurry Up just knows he could never do it so don't even try but that's hard for me to take tbh.

Trez literally looks a bigger guy than he did even just a few months ago!

V4E's stats likely read nicely into what's been said as I think he's both physically stronger and faster so he's able to make many more tackles/passes etc as he's physically more capable when operating at 95% capacity which at the end of the day is what it's all about in a physical yet skillful game.