Ashley Barrett | Page 2 | Vital Football

Ashley Barrett

That's an interesting article, but please don't tell me you are presenting that as proof of anything. It's a political hit job with the foundations of Saul Alinsky's Rules For Radicals, specifically rules 5, 11, and 13.

For sure there issues within the article that need addressing by both sides, but a balanced context it most certainly isn't.

Could you present something to balance that out?

Could you present something to balance that out?
Off the top of my head probably not, could I go line by line and present a contrary view? Absolutely. If I had the time or this was a politics board it would be worth doing. I am sure your views are sincerely held and I'm equally sure there are lessons for all to learn.

One of the hidden issues in discrimination is that few (if any) of us, see it in ourselves. If we make a joke, it is only a joke, and if someone reacts badly to being the butt of that joke they are being over sensitive. We then view the same sentiment expressed in text by a third party as unwarranted. The lines are very difficult to draw, just read the throw-away comments that many of us make on here about Cod, County and Stags fans, then replace the 'football supporter' bit with any minority you choose. Perhaps we should all (me included) be a bit more mindful of being a little gentler in how we refer to other people.

Or am I just moralising from an outdated institutionalised Christian perspective?

Off the top of my head probably not, could I go line by line and present a contrary view? Absolutely. If I had the time or this was a politics board it would be worth doing. I am sure your views are sincerely held and I'm equally sure there are lessons for all to learn.

What "contrary view" can you have? That none of this is said or believed by the people in powerful positions in the American government? Everything in that article, aside from the analyst quotes, is a statement of fact.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you have "alternative facts".

What "contrary view" can you have? That none of this is said or believed by the people in powerful positions in the American government? Everything in that article, aside from the analyst quotes, is a statement of fact.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you have "alternative facts".
I'm not denying facts, I am objecting to opinion dressed as facts. I am objecting to labeling and demonization. I am questioning the effect of theses influences. To suggest America is controlled by the Evangelival Right is too emotive and far from definative. You have to be aware of the paralysis of government in recent weeks.

Sorry Graeme, we will never agree, I respect your views, but will not engage further. Not out of disrespect to you, rather out of respect to the purpose of this board. We are all Imps, aren't we?

I'm not denying facts, I am objecting to opinion dressed as facts. I am objecting to labeling and demonization. I am questioning the effect of theses influences. To suggest America is controlled by the Evangelival Right is too emotive and far from definative. You have to be aware of the paralysis of government in recent weeks.

Sorry Graeme, we will never agree, I respect your views, but will not engage further. Not out of disrespect to you, rather out of respect to the purpose of this board. We are all Imps, aren't we?

Yep, I understand, and I appreciate your message.

One of the hidden issues in discrimination is that few (if any) of us, see it in ourselves. If we make a joke, it is only a joke, and if someone reacts badly to being the butt of that joke they are being over sensitive. We then view the same sentiment expressed in text by a third party as unwarranted. The lines are very difficult to draw, just read the throw-away comments that many of us make on here about Cod, County and Stags fans, then replace the 'football supporter' bit with any minority you choose. Perhaps we should all (me included) be a bit more mindful of being a little gentler in how we refer to other people.

Or am I just moralising from an outdated institutionalised Christian perspective?
Fu@k off ??????