Ashley Barrett | Vital Football

Ashley Barrett

Everyone in life is entitled to think what they like but you've got to be pretty thick to actually write them down when they could clearly have such a detrimental effect on your life. Hope he thinks voicing his personal predujices was worth it.

For any parents out there with chidren who use social media of any description, this is a good example to use to educate them.

Had to go with those comments, totally crass and idiotic. Playing devil's advocate would the outcome have been the same had he substituted the word Christian for Muslim and Southern USA for Europe, with Texas, Mississipi etc. for some of the place names he used? We will never know but I have my doubts.

Had to go with those comments, totally crass and idiotic. Playing devil's advocate would the outcome have been the same had he substituted the word Christian for Muslim and Southern USA for Europe, with Texas, Mississipi etc. for some of the place names he used? We will never know but I have my doubts.
They’re not a minority group though? If he’d have said Jews, black people, gay people, the disabled etc it would be the same outcome

Both are religious hatred. Are you suggesting something here?

They’re not a minority group though? If he’d have said Jews, black people, gay people, the disabled etc it would be the same outcome
The Jewish faith that you mention are a religion same as Muslims and Christians. USA is only a nominally Christian country. The majority of people in that country are secular. I believe that Christians in The USA are now a minority albeit probably the largest religious minority.

The Jewish faith that you mention are a religion same as Muslims and Christians. USA is only a nominally Christian country. The majority of people in that country are secular. I believe that Christians in The USA are now a minority albeit probably the largest religious minority.
It’s not just about religious belief, more a cultural identity. App It’s not purely about current demographics, history has to be considered too.

How do Christians keep getting elected by promising to uphold the Christian faith and ideal? Surely if they're all secular or other that wouldn't mean a damn thing. Why are abortion rights, gay rights etc such huge issues?

America is a majority Christian country, whether practising or cultural. To suggest it's a minority sport is misguided to the point of being wilfully disingenuous.

How do Christians keep getting elected by promising to uphold the Christian faith and ideal? Surely if they're all secular or other that wouldn't mean a damn thing. Why are abortion rights, gay rights etc such huge issues?

America is a majority Christian country, whether practising or cultural. To suggest it's a minority sport is misguided to the point of being wilfully disingenuous.
And the Christian right are currently in charge

It’s not just about religious belief, more a cultural identity. App It’s not purely about current demographics, history has to be considered too.

This is often the problem that different interest groups try and push their agenda whether it's domestic abuse directed specifically at women, religious, race, disabled or cultural etc. I think there are 9 separate such sub categories covered within the legislation from memory. What's needed is something simple like 'ALL people will be treated equally, fairly and with respect'. It shouldn't need any sub categories; rather a definition of equality, fairness and respect should suffice and be applied to any proceedings.

Anyway I recognise I am going off topic and re-iterate I applaud LCFC for their actions in this case. My cynicism was a broader social comment about one of my pet hates that I often observe (as outlined) and I accept is not connected to the specific actions of the club in this incident who have acted expeditiously . I should draw a line under it there.

I think you are pretty misinformed.
Large parts of the usa is rabidly christian. 37% of Americans attend church every week (Far more so than the UK's 7%) Every prospective political candidate has to talk about their love for jesus.. whether they believe it or not. So not really 'nominally'.

An absolute disgrace. Uninformed pondlife who needs some proper education as a matter of urgency.

Well done to the club for taking swift and decisive action. Excellent work.

"I think there are 9 separate such sub categories covered within the legislation from memory. What's needed is something simple like 'ALL people will be treated equally, fairly and with respect'. It shouldn't need any sub categories; rather a definition of equality, fairness and respect should suffice and be applied to any proceedings."

Whilst I'm on the "left" of most political debates, I am not a fan of identity politics.

However, I think what you describe has evolved as a pragmatic response by government to the fact that minority groups - such as black and gay people - have been heavily discriminated against in this country in the past (and, indeed, currently!).

Awareness of that discrimination has been patchy for different groups and how to deal with it under law very difficult, hence we have seen unequal development of legislation in different areas.

Women, for example, technically achieved equality in 1974 with the Sex Equality Act. But it was legal to discriminate against disabled people until the Disability Act of 1995. Gay marriage? Just a few years ago in 2015.

Ultimately, we'd want everyone to behave decently to each other without all this legislation and different groups. Historically, that has proven difficult.

Whilst I'm on the "left" of most political debates, I am not a fan of identity politics.

And I am to the "right" on most debates, but I find it impossible to disagree with your post.

MS Excel would say 'can not resolve a circular reference'. I hate identity politics because it exacerbates the very problem you are trying to resolve. That said I don't see any other way. Most of us don't have an appreciation of our own hidden prejudices. Identity politics and political correctness are important to highlight these problems. Right minded people take on board the lessons and modify their thinking. Idiots post inflammatory remarks on Twitter.

Incidentally, David Holdsworth was right about one thing, when he referred to Twitter as Twatter.

Ultimately, we'd want everyone to behave decently to each other without all this legislation and different groups.

This

Yes, the Christian right is a load of bollocks, and it is in power. I could post all kinds of proof but I think this one article sums up better than I ever could the influence evangelical nutjobs hold over the Trump administration:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/11/trump-administration-evangelical-influence-support
That's an interesting article, but please don't tell me you are presenting that as proof of anything. It's a political hit job with the foundations of Saul Alinsky's Rules For Radicals, specifically rules 5, 11, and 13.

For sure there issues within the article that need addressing by both sides, but a balanced context it most certainly isn't. In fact I would go further by suggesting this is the very demonizing and labeling that I find abhorrent and alluded to in my reply to Notty earlier today.