Arsenal v Aston Villa Match Thread 08/11/2020 19:15 | Page 2 | Vital Football

Arsenal v Aston Villa Match Thread 08/11/2020 19:15

Arsenal are the most boring team I’ve watched this year spending so much time passing it back and forward across the back four. That should suit us. This is undoubtedly our best 11 so it’s up to Dean to get them working together. Not sure about Traore after his majestic cameo on Sunday and looks like he’s ready for resting already. Mings is regressing fast and the boo boys target of Targett is being made to look sound by Cash. The thought of bringing in Hourihane, Nakamba or Elmo is an equally disturbing idea and I suppose it’s too much to hope that he actually plays Davis alongside Watkins, drop Barkley or McGinn? Dean has had the money and brought the players so there can be no excuses. Crucial match to show us which way we are going, forwards or back.

Martinez will like to get one over his old club to prove a point so i'm hoping for a clean sheet we did well against them last time .We do show up for the bigger teams so called by media

Martinez will like to get one over his old club to prove a point so i'm hoping for a clean sheet we did well against them last time .We do show up for the bigger teams so called by media
Unfortunately, with the type of chances (gifts) we are giving away, I fear Martinez will have little chance even if he is keen to prove a point. When you give top players space and time they will pick their spot. Of the nine goals we've conceded so far, the goalkeeper didn't have a cat-in-hells chance on any of them. We could have had Martinez, Heaton and Steer all in the goal simultaneously and they wouldn't have stopped them!

I suppose it’s too much to hope that he actually plays Davis alongside Watkins, drop Barkley or McGinn?

Not a bad shout to bring Davis in. We know he can’t hit a barn door, but moving Watkins to play off him or even send him out wide might work well if Davis can hold the ball for counter attacks. I think that’s a good tactic against a team who have full backs who do get high up the pitch - particularly Bellerin - if Watkins stays out left and bring Jack in the middle. At least they won’t prepare for that.

Not a popular move to play Davis though, which I can sort of understand as he is useless at shooting, but his all round play is sometimes useful and a bit underrated.

Unfortunately, with the type of chances (gifts) we are giving away, I fear Martinez will have little chance even if he is keen to prove a point. When you give top players space and time they will pick their spot. Of the nine goals we've conceded so far, the goalkeeper didn't have a cat-in-hells chance on any of them. We could have had Martinez, Heaton and Steer all in the goal simultaneously and they wouldn't have stopped them!

Emi Martinez is 6’5”, he was well beaten with all goals yesterday - not much he can do to your points above. If he was doing a Reina and gifting goals through concentration then I would say he might be more focussed but he’s the last for blame at the moment.

Perhaps the feedback for Martinez is he needs to get on the case of the back four more, but it’s hard to see what he’s like with the defenders not being at the ground.

Didnt see the game or highlights vs Southampton, but Arsenal under Artete are beginning to get things right, and I cant see anything other than Arsenal carving us wide open time after time.

Not a bad shout to bring Davis in. We know he can’t hit a barn door, but moving Watkins to play off him or even send him out wide might work well if Davis can hold the ball for counter attacks. I think that’s a good tactic against a team who have full backs who do get high up the pitch - particularly Bellerin - if Watkins stays out left and bring Jack in the middle. At least they won’t prepare for that.

Not a popular move to play Davis though, which I can sort of understand as he is useless at shooting, but his all round play is sometimes useful and a bit underrated.

Well that’s killed any hope that we might get a result if the answer get back on track is the useless lump Davis.

What the hell is going on with this club that we are prepared to settle on a striker who doesn’t score but can pass the ball to team mate. So small time its untrue . This myth that Davis somehow creates all these chances is absolutely that. A myth . When I can be arsed I will see what his career assists are. Not that I need to , I know it won’t be much.

Our main 11 is OK.
Change zonal marking. Get the players to turn up in minute 1 - remind the defenders that their priority is to defend. Then we will be in each game, we will be happy and we will get some results - maybe even beat Arsenal.

I know I'm old fashioned...
Smith see that we aren't 70s Holland and make the defence stay back. Cash has made no crosses this season and Targett can't do it either to any real effect. So why compromise our defence sending them forward? Our midfield or god forbid our wide players should make the chances.

Well that’s killed any hope that we might get a result if the answer get back on track is the useless lump Davis.

What the hell is going on with this club that we are prepared to settle on a striker who doesn’t score but can pass the ball to team mate. So small time its untrue . This myth that Davis somehow creates all these chances is absolutely that. A myth . When I can be arsed I will see what his career assists are. Not that I need to , I know it won’t be much.

You’ll be right with the stat as nothing springs to mind, I can just forsee a game where we lump it forward to Watkins. I hope not but we are regressing like we did last season after a good start and left the striker isolated.

Other alternatives if we are to change it are to bring Hourihane or Marv in, but that won’t change much, in fact I’d rather an underperforming SJM than either of those two.

Our main 11 is OK.
Change zonal marking. Get the players to turn up in minute 1 - remind the defenders that their priority is to defend. Then we will be in each game, we will be happy and we will get some results - maybe even beat Arsenal.

I know I'm old fashioned...
Smith see that we aren't 70s Holland and make the defence stay back. Cash has made no crosses this season and Targett can't do it either to any real effect. So why compromise our defence sending them forward? Our midfield or god forbid our wide players should make the chances.

If we want crosses into the box then the best crosser in the team is a right back.

Well that would be different. But if we are playing Cash he may as well stay back.

I expected Cash to be a marauding full back as that's what he was at Forest. What I didn't expect was him to become first choice immediately after only just coming up from the chumps. I can see Arsenal targeting him with the pace of Aubameyang.

I expected Cash to be a marauding full back as that's what he was at Forest. What I didn't expect was him to become first choice immediately after only just coming up from the chumps. I can see Arsenal targeting him with the pace of Aubameyang.

Yep - he should know how to go forward as he has played ahead of RB. But after the first game I don't remember him making one cross.

We have a decent record there and I wouldn't be surprised if we got something.

We can't go gung ho, we'll get torn apart or again be "plucky losers" in a 3-2 defeat.

I want to see evidence that this season won't be like last.

Simple. We beat them deservedly in our fight back last season, by playing it tight and scoring when the inevitable opportunity arose. Arsenal are still in transition, playing at roughly the same level. We can win this. A narrow win, but we can do it.

I'll go for a tight win because we can do it. I suspect we'll get a routine loss because we won't do it.

We'll play well this game, I am absolutely certain of it, and thats because Smith only prepares us defensively against teams he deems superior.

I think it'll be tight and we'll either lose or draw. Plucky underdogs who gave the gunners a game.

I'll help you out. It's 6 in his professional career: 4 in the Championship, 2 in the League Cup.

That accompanies his 5 goals: 2 in the Championship, 2 in the League Cup, 1 in the FA Cup.

In 2,797 minutes (basically 31 games). So a goal contribution every 3 'full' games.

Yes, I haven't said the phrase 'Premier League' until now.