Around the Grounds | Page 57 | Vital Football

Around the Grounds

Bernardo Silva's "penalty" comedy gold. Was he doing it for a bet? Poacher faces better in those HT shootouts.
As a professional footballer, as supposedly one of the top technicians at one of the world's top clubs, knowing that you may well have to take a penalty.......is it too much to ask that you should at least be capable of a decent attempt at a penalty that takes the goalkeeper out of the equation.

Shearer and Redfearn rarely shied away from top bins. An effort that is aimed with a margin of error two feet beneath the cross bar and two feet inside the post from 12 yards shouldn't be beyond top players who have as much time in the world as they need to lodge that in the muscle memory.

Did Pep throw De Bruyne and Haaland under the bus by letting the world know the players wanted to come off? Can't imagine Paudie and a few of ours slipping that particular note to the head coach.

No doubt this will bring up that old chestnut of a European Super League, even more so if them scousers go out of one of the other Michael Rodent European things!.

As a professional footballer, as supposedly one of the top technicians at one of the world's top clubs, knowing that you may well have to take a penalty.......is it too much to ask that you should at least be capable of a decent attempt at a penalty that takes the goalkeeper out of the equation.

Shearer and Redfearn rarely shied away from top bins. An effort that is aimed with a margin of error two feet beneath the cross bar and two feet inside the post from 12 yards shouldn't be beyond top players who have as much time in the world as they need to lodge that in the muscle memory.
Harry Kane does the same!

I hate the way the commentary team assume that everybody watching will be supporting Man City. I suspect most of us will be quite pleased that they lost....in fact I'm delighted! Time was when you always supported the English team in Europe, but those days are long gone.
Almost as many English players in the Bayern side as in the Man C and Arsenal starting line-ups anyway.

Former Swansea and Burnley winger Leighton James has died at the age of 71.

Older fans will remember a teenage James scoring the winner for Burnley in Lincoln's only Watney Cup tie in July 1972. He looked a real player even then, and he most certainly was.

Older fans will remember a teenage James scoring the winner for Burnley in Lincoln's only Watney Cup tie in July 1972. He looked a real player even then, and he most certainly was.
Legend

Good player - shame about that goal though, I remember it. Gradually the lights of our youth are snuffed out, RIP

I'm glad it's not just me who feels that.
Natural part of age, I guess - the one which hit me was Dave Smith, who it turned out with my sad sack analysis was missing for only a handful of games in my teens (and pre). Saw him being interviewed pre Macc 2017, looking as if he'd be able to answer the call if we were short, then gone a few years later.

Natural part of age, I guess - the one which hit me was Dave Smith, who it turned out with my sad sack analysis was missing for only a handful of games in my teens (and pre). Saw him being interviewed pre Macc 2017, looking as if he'd be able to answer the call if we were short, then gone a few years later.
Try watching The Big Match Revisited on Saturday mornings - wonderful, but also sobering to realise how many of our childhood heroes have already gone.

Southend's takeover seems to be dependent on Ron Martin getting planning permission for 1,300 houses, which I think we all kinda knew anyway.

Given the speed that planning applications go in this country and NIMBY types, not a total surprise it's taking so long to get through!