Around the Grounds | Page 43 | Vital Football

Around the Grounds

One plonker on The Fishy reckons you can build a 16,000 to 18,000 seat stadium for £20m. Extraordinary to think that possible, let alone that Grimsby could ever find enough idiots to fill it. Luton just spent £10m refurbishing one stand without adding to the capacity at all.

To be fair, the breathtaking increases in building costs do seem to have passed many people by. The RICS House Rebuilding Cost Index has risen by a compound 40% since the pandemic hit us in 2020, increases which caused the abandonment of the original Stacey West extension. I would be very surprised if any small club - including Barnet - will be able to build anything at all in the foreseeable future.

One plonker on The Fishy reckons you can build a 16,000 to 18,000 seat stadium for £20m. Extraordinary to think that possible, let alone that Grimsby could ever find enough idiots to fill it. Luton just spent £10m refurbishing one stand without adding to the capacity at all.

To be fair, the breathtaking increases in building costs do seem to have passed many people by. The RICS House Rebuilding Cost Index has risen by a compound 40% since the pandemic hit us in 2020, increases which caused the abandonment of the original Stacey West extension. I would be very surprised if any small club - including Barnet - will be able to build anything at all in the foreseeable future.
Seems to be a lot of delusional thinking on The Fishy.

Not me unfortunately - House building index isn’t the half of it. It will be the steelwork in a stadium that stings the most. Lots of different types of steel but the numbers I have seen are 4 plus times more expensive than pre 2020. Of course it’s all imported now because we don’t make it any more (sorry wrong message board). Prices are coming down but last 2 years have they have been excessive.

Seeing Boston playing Darlington tonight, they’re in danger of being relegated I think (Darlo that is). Ignoring the phoenix club thing, Darlington seem to have been forgotten about for a team that was in the league for so many seasons. Just shows what can happen with wrong owners.

Arsenal putting up season ticket prices by around 12%. Imagine the uproar if we did that.

I play football with a few ST holders who have already been reduced to sharing the cost of a seat, even before these price hikes. All long-time supporters. Funny because the atmosphere has got better in there in recent years, but tapping into the tourist market will inevitably turn it into a theatre again.

I can remember as a kid my dad taking me to Highbury a couple of times, we rocked up and paid on the day. So many familys denied that chance today, totally priced out of going. Im so pleased were not a premier league club i can quite happily live with limited dreams, championship is about as far as i want to go, Id rather watch upto 23 lower league home games than have to pick a handful of premier league ties . Its not a working class pastime anymore (at the top), its very sad.

I worked for a company involved in the construction of their stadium. We had a tour when it was just open - there aren’t really any bad views and overall a very impressive structure.

Most things are a rip off these days - we are paying more and more council tax yet the local school has less money the roads are full of pot holes and they are about to close the recycling centre.

Probably the wrong message board but what a depressing load of rubbish

I can remember as a kid my dad taking me to Highbury a couple of times, we rocked up and paid on the day. So many familys denied that chance today, totally priced out of going. Im so pleased were not a premier league club i can quite happily live with limited dreams, championship is about as far as i want to go, Id rather watch upto 23 lower league home games than have to pick a handful of premier league ties . Its not a working class pastime anymore (at the top), its very sad.
I have done the same in the past at Highbury, Stamford Bridge, Craven Cottage, Old Trafford and Maine Road. Apart from Maine Road, I doubt you can do that at any of the rest any more.

However, I hope you can do it on Saturday at Vale Park otherwise taking 3 of my kids on an afternoon out will prove pretty crap - not a lot to do in Burslem if you can't watch the Imps.