Are you religious because of or inspite of? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Are you religious because of or inspite of?

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 30/1/2014 20:01

I wonder how many do go just so they don't upset the relatives?

Do you not get anything out of it at all NI? Is there even a glimmer of what they say that still registers?

I spend my time looking around the chapel at the fit women.

If people get something out of it then good for them, it's not for me to judge. Can understand why the sense of community, etc is attractive but as for the message itself, no.

mike_field - 30/1/2014 20:11

Is it possible to go through infant/Primary level without being taught the basics, and singing hymns?

I assumed everyone trod that path in education.

I don't know what the answer is here, but would assume there might be some choice now, bearing in mind how scared we are of upsetting anyone these days.

My objection was that I wasn't allowed to stand quietly while prayers were said or Hymns sung. It was disgusting behaviour, which I still resent to this day. It's not like I was heckling, or anything.

NI Villan - 30/1/2014 20:14

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 30/1/2014 20:01

I wonder how many do go just so they don't upset the relatives?

Do you not get anything out of it at all NI? Is there even a glimmer of what they say that still registers?

I spend my time looking around the chapel at the fit women.

If people get something out of it then good for them, it's not for me to judge. Can understand why the sense of community, etc is attractive but as for the message itself, no.

There are fit women at Church? Mind you, thinking about it, I do have a soft spot for Irish women. Been out with a few, and I do love the accent. Might have to re-consider this Church malarkey.

mike_field - 30/1/2014 20:11

Is it possible to go through infant/Primary level without being taught the basics, and singing hymns?

I assumed everyone trod that path in education.

Yeah but was it backed up at home? Also I don't think it goes on so much these days.

My Dad's side were Catholic his parents were Irish Catholic so my Dad wanted me to go to the Catholic school but I was dead against it and thankfully my Mom had the casting vote.Was never bought up to be religious and I don't believe now.On my dads side all the funerals and weddings were full ceremonies like pulling teeth.But I will never understand them keeping traditions going when my Grand Mothers sister was put into Bedlam for having a child out of wed lock she was locked up for 16 years and never seen the child again.When she got out she was doo dally but still a really loving woman who knows what them Nuns and Priests done to her they reckon the Bible has many interpretations well all I can say is there must be some fucking evil one's.

gator - 30/1/2014 20:19

My Dad's side were Catholic his parents were Irish Catholic so my Dad wanted me to go to the Catholic school but I was dead against it and thankfully my Mom had the casting vote.Was never bought up to be religious and I don't believe now.On my dads side all the funerals and weddings were full ceremonies like pulling teeth.But I will never understand them keeping traditions going when my Grand Mothers sister was put into Bedlam for having a child out of wed lock she was locked up for 16 years and never seen the child again.When she got out she was doo dally but still a really loving woman who knows what them Nuns and Priests done to her they reckon the Bible has many interpretations well all I can say is there must be some fucking evil one's.

I've been to few Catholic Funerals recently. They do go on a bit, don't they!!! And so sorry to hear about your Grandmothers Sister. I'm assuming that this doesn't happen today? Just so sad how many lives have been ruined by these sort of misinterpretation of the religion.

Did you ever see the film 'The Magdelene Sisters' mate? Shows the full extent of the power the church had, at one time, in Ireland, both north and south. Not for the faint hearted.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 30/1/2014 20:26

I've been to few Catholic Funerals recently. They do go on a bit, don't they!!! And so sorry to hear about your Grandmothers Sister. I'm assuming that this doesn't happen today? Just so sad how many lives have been ruined by these sort of misinterpretation of the religion.
Yeah makes me mad when I think about Heath also makes me very sad.Not sure when this was stopped but we are only now learning about these horror stories but dare say the full extent will never be revealed.

Not religious in the slightest.

The "tipping point" for me was about 20yrs ago sitting at my uncles catholic funeral.

The priest had this sermon about being welcomed into the kingdom of god the moment you are baptised, and that baptism is the entry to eternal life crap.

He then said "now we will sing hymn number ..... All Things Bright and Beautiful"

I then had to sing about how god made everything from flowers and birds and stuff - are they baptised then ?

Bloody hypocritical crap - the lot of it !

(sorry if I offend)

NI Villan - 30/1/2014 20:32

Did you ever see the film 'The Magdelene Sisters' mate? Shows the full extent of the power the church had, at one time, in Ireland, both north and south. Not for the faint hearted.
No never seen it would love to watch something like that but not sure how it would affect me not a softy at all mate in fact far from it but I dearly loved my Aunt Polly my Grandma's sister think I would want to commit murder well maybe not but it would be painful.

gator - 30/1/2014 20:42

No never seen it would love to watch something like that but not sure how it would affect me not a softy at all mate in fact far from it but I dearly loved my Aunt Polly my Grandma's sister think I would want to commit murder well maybe not but it would be painful.

Very close to what you've described mate. Made me angry watching it. If you've had family suffer in that way it would be much, much worse so maybe best not watch. Sorry to hear about your aunt mate.

If anyone is interested in watching it, the full film is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdSmjIvJ8Dc

NI Villan - 30/1/2014 20:49

gator - 30/1/2014 20:42

Very close to what you've described mate. Made me angry watching it. If you've had family suffer in that way it would be much, much worse so maybe best not watch. Sorry to hear about your aunt mate.
Yeah cheers mate personality wise she was a beautiful woman and you know what she still went to funerals and weddings and still immaculately observed the long laborious ceremonies without a second thought of her own experiences not sure I could have.

I don't think I need to get any more angry at the Catholic Church. Maybe Fear needs to know what they are like? He's too kind to them in his posts, from what I've seen.

NI Villan - 30/1/2014 20:51

If anyone is interested in watching it, the full film is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdSmjIvJ8Dc
Cheers bud.

Religion is evil. It's the cause of wars it's the cause of persecution it's the cause of poverty it's the cause of fear.

SKEGGY - 30/1/2014 21:04

Religion is evil. It's the cause of wars it's the cause of persecution it's the cause of poverty it's the cause of fear.

Have you ever seen the episode of South Park where Cartman ends up in the future, in the middle of an atheism war between beavers and man? Well as stupid as South Park is, the underlying message is that people will be crappy towards each other regardless of their belief's, atheists can be just as big a c***s as religious folk.

I would suggest people's greed and lust for power outweigh religious intent although it's a great excuse to invade a country and take what's 'rightfully' yours.