Are you religious because of or inspite of? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Are you religious because of or inspite of?

NI Villan - 30/1/2014 20:32

gator - 30/1/2014 20:19

My Dad's side were Catholic his parents were Irish Catholic so my Dad wanted me to go to the Catholic school but I was dead against it and thankfully my Mom had the casting vote.Was never bought up to be religious and I don't believe now.On my dads side all the funerals and weddings were full ceremonies like pulling teeth.But I will never understand them keeping traditions going when my Grand Mothers sister was put into Bedlam for having a child out of wed lock she was locked up for 16 years and never seen the child again.When she got out she was doo dally but still a really loving woman who knows what them Nuns and Priests done to her they reckon the Bible has many interpretations well all I can say is there must be some fucking evil one's.

Did you ever see the film 'The Magdelene Sisters' mate? Shows the full extent of the power the church had, at one time, in Ireland, both north and south. Not for the faint hearted.

I won't have a word said against the Catholic Church.

Oh, scrub that, yes I will.

Evil.... Spread a lot of evil, caused a hell of a lot of evil.

strange how the odd one does that. Especially strange it was two religious threads.

The work of the :66: one would think!

If anyone deserves it, it's you Fear. I mean, setting up a network for 1,000s of football fans to communicate with each other, creating a community from nothing. It's just pure Evil.

My mum and dad are methodists. My brother still is to some extent but my sister and me don't really care about religion to be honest. Infact I don't care at all for religion. Religion and politics are the biggest causes of war and have ruined billions of lives. If someone wants to have a faith that is there perogative but if someone tries to tell me that I should follow this or that religion I tell them it's my life and if any God wants to send me to hell then I'll be shaking hands with so many familiar people I won't have time to be sad.

Plenty of people have 'faith', something to believe in. Religion is the organisation of faith supported by 'rules' to suit the needs of men. History shows that people need an answer for the things they don't understand, so turn to 'clerics' for an answer and therefore 'learned' and 'influential' men manipulate faith to exert power.
So bollocks to it all, I believe in Villa and that Jessica Alba off the telly.

Gazgecko - 31/1/2014 20:33

Plenty of people have 'faith', something to believe in. Religion is the organisation of faith supported by 'rules' to suit the needs of men. History shows that people need an answer for the things they don't understand, so turn to 'clerics' for an answer and therefore 'learned' and 'influential' men manipulate faith to exert power.
So bollocks to it all, I believe in Villa and that Jessica Alba off the telly.

Jessica Alba. :136: :136: :136:

starchild65 - 31/1/2014 19:45

My mum and dad are methodists. My brother still is to some extent but my sister and me don't really care about religion to be honest. Infact I don't care at all for religion. Religion and politics are the biggest causes of war and have ruined billions of lives. If someone wants to have a faith that is there perogative but if someone tries to tell me that I should follow this or that religion I tell them it's my life and if any God wants to send me to hell then I'll be shaking hands with so many familiar people I won't have time to be sad.

Do you believe in, that you are who you are because of how you are made up?

In other words the very shape of your life is moulded by all your surroundings from the day you came into a being..

How much do learn in womb, how much is passed on through genes, and when you are born how much of what happens around you influences your very personality and thoughts?

If you dont believe in a God and there is one - is it really your fault? Are you in control of what goes on around you, or what made you up genetically?

This is why im totally against the death penalty and hitting on others - is it really anybodies fault that their brain works the way it does?

Prefer to live my life in a moral manor rather than religious.

I am pragmatic enough to make my own decisions in life and don't need some book to guide me.

I respect those who take guidance from religion and if it makes them happy who I am to argue, what is one's preference is fine!

Just my opinion religion has caused too many wars and is still causing too much conflict in the world. I'm sure if religion wasn't around it would be something else causing conflict but still it does my head in!

As for "God" if there was such, as previously mentioned I'm sure little innocent kids and people who live such good lives helping out those around them wouldn't get horrible illnesses and die before there time!

Who knows one day religion may just come to me but at the moment I'm more interesting in other things to waste time on that.

This is what annoys me about science - did I, or did I not say that the dating methods used for the age of the Earth are guessed at best? This goes for fossils, dinosaurs, rocks, etc...

Yet recent news tells us the Grand Cannon was now formed "younger" than previously "thought" yes the key word there is "thought" - so in other words the date they had "before"(the older date) wasnt correct - it was a guesstimate...= Like I said originally!

And guess what guys - this new "younger" date is also just another guesstimate!

Link for anyone interested and sorry for posting in here, I couldnt find the thread where we discussed dating methods before.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25912692

And no before you start Heath - I do not want another science v Religious debate...Nor do want to go over all the dating subject again..

Im just proving my point that the dating methods used and fed to the general public are just bullsh1t.

We are told one thing one minute and then another thing another minute..Either the dating methods are correct and reliable or they are not...You can decide for yourself!

mike_field - 5/2/2014 10:41

lol you really need to read that article properly. It's only about three paragraphs.

I don't think he's ever read a Science article properly. Why should he start now?

The inability to comprehend how Science works, and it's evolutionary nature are always going to stop GT from ever coming to grips with it. I saw this story last week, and was wondering how long it would take him to post it.

if it isn't too big or too personal a question BBJ (and not asking to rip into it... as you know doubt know)

What would the difference between being religious and being a believer be to you? I can't see the distinction so I'm interested.

I would answer that Fear in my sense(as I feel similar to BBJ) is that religious is following a set of rules created by man from the words of God - and man is sinful by nature, so corruption, power and greed can twist things.

Yet a believer is that you yourself believe in God.

Not sure if its the same as BBJ but its how I see things.

Fear, I just feel a bit uncomfortable with the term "religious".
I think of the parable where the two guys are in the temple and one is strutting about, making a show and loudly thanking God that he is not as other men whilst the other is at the back, keeping to himself, and asking humbly (and quietly) that God show mercy to him.
Sometimes religiosity (which is not restricted to those who believe in a "Higher Being") can make people proud, pompous, pious and judgmental, not traits that I personally admire, especially as I have to resist such tendencies within myself.

Thanks both.

Yes. Your answer makes sense bbj.

As you know, along with some of my wind ups, some anger, some bafflement and an awful lot of interest, I do say regularly my problem is usually with the institutions of religion and those who are preachy but hypocrites because they don't actually practice what they show off preaching about.

Looks to me you share that.

Practice what you preach, do good, be good.. No matter what label we put on it, it has to be good I'd say!!