Are we happy? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Are we happy?

Are you happy with Jose and our football?

• Yes 100% happy, he's heading for a Trophy

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Yes, but not 100% Happy, we'll miss the targets

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • No, he's the anti-Christ of attractive football

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, his tactics and his motivation are poor, he'll fail

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't decide - I still prefer Poch

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Sooner or later, he'll c**p on everyone

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
The worrying thing is that Daniel Levy has said , not long ago , that winning cups and CL qualification was not the bottom line . He actually said it would be boring if we were qualifying for the champions league, easily , every year . That is something I don’t understand .
unless I read what he said entirely wrong , I posted it on here , then I don’t understand

I didn't know that!

The issue is that we have to win a silverware first before starting to worry if this would be boring for Spurs and particularly if we achieve it the easy way!! :wack:

The worrying thing is that Daniel Levy has said , not long ago , that winning cups and CL qualification was not the bottom line . He actually said it would be boring if we were qualifying for the champions league, easily , every year . That is something I don’t understand .
unless I read what he said entirely wrong , I posted it on here , then I don’t understand

What he actually said;

The question was; 'do you now think that you should be finishing in the Top4 every year and also winning silverware at the sametime?

Levy said): “Firstly, there’s no guarantee to finish in the top four. Nobody has the divine right to be there. We all come back and watch football all the time because it is so competitive.

“Wouldn’t it be boring if we were guaranteed to be there? Obviously, we aspire to be there every season but there is no guarantee whatever we do. When we are there, we want to go as far as possible in the various competitions but sometimes it is the luck of the draw. We just want to go as far as we can.”

What he actually said;

The question was; 'do you now think that you should be finishing in the Top4 every year and also winning silverware at the sametime?

Levy said): “Firstly, there’s no guarantee to finish in the top four. Nobody has the divine right to be there. We all come back and watch football all the time because it is so competitive.

“Wouldn’t it be boring if we were guaranteed to be there? Obviously, we aspire to be there every season but there is no guarantee whatever we do. When we are there, we want to go as far as possible in the various competitions but sometimes it is the luck of the draw. We just want to go as far as we can.”
Thanks Ex , I‘ve been searching but couldn’t find it . Did he also say that there is no expectation put on the team/manager/coach in any given season .

Thanks Ex , I‘ve been searching but couldn’t find it . Did he also say that there is no expectation put on the team/manager/coach in any given season .

Not in that interview, but I think he said something like that before - I remember laughing my head off at it, as I always remember Harry at the breakfast meeting telling me/us that Levy had a plan and it basically encompassed being a 'top elite club, that could compete with anyone'!

I asked Harry is he was serious; and he said; 'totally, totally serious' (he always seemingly answered everything with a repetitive degree adverb!)

Last edited:
I’m not happy being 6th (ok we’re a game in hand) but I’m feeling fairly happy but not sure who we can beat now. I think Eriksen was a negative, now he’s gone and we have Bergwijn, I feel happier. But you can’t go on feelings, we need solid action and WINS. I’m happier with Aurier than I was. I can’t help feeling that we might ditch Alli who doesn’t look either productive enough or is playing in the wrong position. Sorry to lose Rose, I think he needed some shooting training and sending more up field. He could come back to bite us.

Jose SHOULD deliver but I don’t FEEL happy with him as our manager. I hope my FEELINGS are wrong and I admit they’re only feelings but I want to see definite proof that he’s still on his game. He has the pedigree but I haven’t seen anything from him in recent years and it makes me nervous.

We desperately need a trophy this year and a clear top four place. Anything less and we need to strengthen with good players and get off to a real flying start next season. We need to match the ambitions set out in our new stadium.

Think he was more making a general point that football would be boring if you knew the top 4 before the season started. No one has a divine right to anything and that's what keeps it interesting for fans.

Personally I'd take the boredom of dominating the league for a decade quite happily.

I still say the best indicator of our progress is the final points tally in the league.

2013 - 5th, 72 pts - AVB
2014 - 6th, 69 pts - AVB / Sherwood
2015 - 5th, 64 pts - Poch
2016 - 3rd, 70 pts - Poch
2017 - 2nd, 86 pts - Poch
2018 - 3rd, 77 pts - Poch
2019 - 4th, 71 pts - Poch
2020 - 6th, 37 pts, 25 games - Poch / Jose

You can clearly see where we trended in both a good and bad direction as a club over the years.

Jose's record has been 23 points in 13 league games which puts us 4th in the form table in his short tenure. Chelsea have only amassed 15 in that time.

Jose now has exactly the same amount of games again and must get closer to 30 out of the 39 available points. That's when we would start to feel the momentum building again.

So in summary, nobody should feel "happy" in the grand scheme of things. However, there are genuine reasons for optimism.

It is simple: if we want to finish in top four (every season) and go until the end in the various cup competitions, we have to be competitive with our main rivals.
Practically that means: we should have a football intelligent, with a strong personality and with sufficient psychologist abilities manager and also we should be able to buy the players we need and to strengthen in time our squad, at a level equal or, at least, not much inferior to our rivals.

As we have witnessed, the rule (not the exceptions) is that clubs that can't follow that pattern, they stay behind in those competitions, mostly no matter who the manager is.

As I repeatedly said, the main factor for a club to win glory on the field, it is the ambition of the owners to achieve that.
Only an owner can create a winning mentality and atmosphere inside a football club by hiring the right technical staff and the players his manager needs.

Wot Harry said
And I would add win dirty but win is vital at the moment..
Evolving to siky wins is the next stage
I've always been a Marmite fan.
Yes I agree to what has been said above. I would add with a bit of more luck we may surprise some people. I really like the way Jose doesn't give a shite to change things on the spot compared to Poch who always waited until it was too late to make his substitutions

Last edited:
TBH Nick, seeing how we were descending in to an abyss, just be challenging for top 4 alone would've pleased me. I'd like to think that would've been paramount to Levy. As for trophies, Jose does have his work cut out as of now. Knock out comps and Jose, if anyone can he can!
Yes Critical _Spur you have quoted the right word, "we were descending in to abyss" Some fans are forgetting that Posh on his last days tended to manage the team to lose so that he gets the sack

Last edited:
It's a difficult question given the short time JM has been at the helm. The selection of answers are of a negative nature unless you are blinded by the "special one" and think all is hunky dory.
Many are patting JM on the back for cleaning up Poch's mess, however, any of us on here would've done the same, so no real kudos for that. It had to be done regardless, and took no real skill and background of high achievement.

I'm pleased with the recruitment side of things, but unhappy we have not purchased an out "n" out Number 9. We'll continue with Kane's recycling from injured to fit to injured again.

I was drawn to Spurs in the 70's due to our beautiful football, not by our results. Our characters through the 70's and 80's were brilliant and would've been at home in any of the top clubs at the time.
Right now we're in a strange place. We do have some players that are yet to realise their potential and some that are operating at their peak. The result is very ordinary football that does not do Tottenham Hotspur FC justice or reflect on what we are known for.

Although I was not a JM fan, I was excited when he joined, but I feel we have not progressed as we should've. Early days I know, but I'm a bit vanilla about the whole thing.

It's a difficult question given the short time JM has been at the helm. The selection of answers are of a negative nature unless you are blinded by the "special one" and think all is hunky dory.
Many are patting JM on the back for cleaning up Poch's mess, however, any of us on here would've done the same, so no real kudos for that. It had to be done regardless, and took no real skill and background of high achievement.

I'm pleased with the recruitment side of things, but unhappy we have not purchased an out "n" out Number 9. We'll continue with Kane's recycling from injured to fit to injured again.

I was drawn to Spurs in the 70's due to our beautiful football, not by our results. Our characters through the 70's and 80's were brilliant and would've been at home in any of the top clubs at the time.
Right now we're in a strange place. We do have some players that are yet to realise their potential and some that are operating at their peak. The result is very ordinary football that does not do Tottenham Hotspur FC justice or reflect on what we are known for.

Although I was not a JM fan, I was excited when he joined, but I feel we have not progressed as we should've. Early days I know, but I'm a bit vanilla about the whole thing.

For most of his time here he has been without his number 1 GK, LB, CM and St.

How is any manager supposed to progress with them issues?

Add the injuries to the squad players as well its really naive to expect a massive turn around.

Also the form guide shows if he was here from the start of the season we would be sitting top 4 comfortably.

Yesterday Guardiola said:

"What is the best coach? I never felt like the best, give me a team that isn't like Manchester City and I'm not going to win."

"I was winning and conquering titles because I was in big clubs with great players. Other great coaches do not have such good players or are not in such successful clubs."

I'm not that happy, yet. It might change but positives are still overshadowed by the negatives. I expected a bigger impact from Jose, especially in fixing the details Poch missed, but he does seem to be making similar mistakes that he made at Man Utd and Chavs, which is a shame.

Mourinho is in the honeymoon period still, where the fans stil blame problems on the last manager or Levy but his real work starts in the summer. This season has been horrible from the off.

For most of his time here he has been without his number 1 GK, LB, CM and St.

How is any manager supposed to progress with them issues?

Add the injuries to the squad players as well its really naive to expect a massive turn around.

Also the form guide shows if he was here from the start of the season we would be sitting top 4 comfortably.

Thanks for reading my post RD, but please don't take me or anyone else on hear out of context. Its a forum, where we share our opinions, which some will agree and disagree with, but do NOT reply and build a case against someone based on bullshit.

RD quote =" well its really naive to expect a massive turn around".

10Hoddle = What I actually said was "we have not progressed as we should've. Early days I know".

There no perfect time to join a club, especially Spurs. There's always issues and situations...that's football.

I don't know the first thing about football coaching, but I do know how to run a successful business and coach people. Like I said, many of us on here would've and could've made the hard decisions (which really were quite easy) after being appointed, and cleaned the place up. That was job No.1. JM has in my opinion done really well in recruiting apart from a striker. I'm ignorant as to how he has addressed the troops, motivated and mentored, but from what we see on the field, our football is rubbish.

I don't want to hear how Dele has come out of his shell and all that crap. Once again, anyone with any sort of people skills could get in the head of that kid and bring out what has been hiding.

As long as JM does not fall into the same trap as Poch, (becoming their best friend), stamps some authority SAF style, and allows our creative players to express themselves whilst playing to the JM tune, then....we should be good.

What recruitment can Jose pin his name on ?

With the injuries we have suffered Jose I would say has had to be at his creative best ( not creative as in flair football ) to get a tune out of the remaining players , some of which are not PL ready.
Twice now Jose has changed things very early in a game to counter the opposition, something we rarely or never saw under Poch. We have also seen brave tactics , foreign to us , in playing unexpected approaches to games and using players differently to their usual strengths.
The question could be asked if Jose has a different outlook to other managers, does he see options not so obvious both with players and tactics. He is known to be a master of in game management but he is having to work on the training pitch too. I bet he loves it. Could Pep do the same with our players or would he get found out ?

What recruitment can Jose pin his name on ?

With the injuries we have suffered Jose I would say has had to be at his creative best ( not creative as in flair football ) to get a tune out of the remaining players , some of which are not PL ready.
Twice now Jose has changed things very early in a game to counter the opposition, something we rarely or never saw under Poch. We have also seen brave tactics , foreign to us , in playing unexpected approaches to games and using players differently to their usual strengths.
The question could be asked if Jose has a different outlook to other managers, does he see options not so obvious both with players and tactics. He is known to be a master of in game management but he is having to work on the training pitch too. I bet he loves it. Could Pep do the same with our players or would he get found out ?

Great question - I think the best managers put a bigger emphasis on the character and intelligence of players to play their systems versus others who might rely too much on fitness and skill. Obviously, when you have all of those attributes you're in a great place.

I always remember watching Japhet's interview after the Liverpool game. Jose asked him on Tuesday whether he wanted to play. Japhet said "yeah". Jose then challenged him on whether he'll be scared. Japhet said "nah". Japhet then proved to Jose at the weekend he had the minerals to make a great league debut. He's been an almost constant in the side since. That sums up Jose to me. There's a lot of trust involved

As for in game management, there is no better manager. In my opinion, he's better than his peers at that and even better than Fergie. He's perhaps not so good at long term nurturing of players and obviously doesn't play the best football. I would say it is way more attractive than we're seeing right now though and we have to show some patience.

A report suggests we have the 7th highest average wage in the PL at 76 k. We are behind Everton on 79k and significantly the Chavs on 92 k. That's 16k per player less wages per week.