Are Oldies the best? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Are Oldies the best?

the best thing was that you could edit the names and stats - Phil Stant really was world class!
Ah, that was Championship Manager. Had that too, made my son a world class striker, even though he was only 5 at the time. By careful editing got the Imps in the Prem, winning the Champions League a few times, and doing an Arsenal, undefeated all season. With FM there is no editor, so you get what you get.

Ah, that was Championship Manager. Had that too, made my son a world class striker, even though he was only 5 at the time. By careful editing got the Imps in the Prem, winning the Champions League a few times, and doing an Arsenal, undefeated all season. With FM there is no editor, so you get what you get.

You can have an editor with 2021, it's a separate plug in you download. Excellent should you want to create custom leagues to play with your mates for instance...

My ability at Subbuteo closely mirrored my ability at actual football! :lol:
Think they should bring out a new ball for the 2021/22 season, one Subbuteo scale sized. Now that would be fun, might stop Wyke scoring with his head!

The two that stick out for me aside from FM is Premier League Manager 98 where you could build a new stand and within a year it invariably burnt down due to dodgy electrics.

Ultimate Soccer Manager 98 was the other one. What a game that was. Season done within an hour. Re-build the stadium, add restaurants, club shops, programme stalls, set prices for everything as well.

I'd agree with @Sincilbanks that if you've not played FM for a while and you pick up FM21 or even FM20, it'll be a big shock.

If you miss two or three releases it'll feel like a big jump but there have been some big changes to it across every new release the last few release full stop.

Some good, some bad. I'm not a big fan of the new training so I've not bothered with that for a few years. Taken me a while to get used to bits and pieces of FM21 (and I've bought it every year).

Up via the PO's in my first season, Morton top scorer with 37!

CD Keys is the place to go for it, the EU version is £26 at the minute so a good price.

The two that stick out for me aside from FM is Premier League Manager 98 where you could build a new stand and within a year it invariably burnt down due to dodgy electrics.

Ultimate Soccer Manager 98 was the other one. What a game that was. Season done within an hour. Re-build the stadium, add restaurants, club shops, programme stalls, set prices for everything as well.
I remember that one. I still have the disc, but it wont play on newer pc's. I think it needs an old windows 98 type machine., it ran in ms/dos. some of these older games also don't like a new machine that are too powerful.

I bought 2020 'touch'. Last year. Played it more than I had the game in many years. which does cut out a lot of the excess crap you have with the full version. So less press conferences, and more just getting on with the team build, transfers and playing games. and much cheaper than the full version.

Hadn't played for some years but a friend in the industry got me a steam code for the latest version:

All the major elements have been significantly updated since 2011.
Scouting (much improved and more realistic)
Training (much more complicated and allows for much more granularity in defining training)
Transfers (Much more realistic now, you can't simply go out and sign incredible players just because you have money, they have expectations and demands. Also negotiations are much more flexible now)
Match Engine and Tactics. Recent overhaul apparently. Loads better than older versions but still can get those results which make you cock your eyebrow (that also happen in real life) Implementing tactics is much easier with far more variety and transparent and player instructions etc much more varied
Financials. Lots more involvement in budgets etc, club expectations are a thing as well with demands when you take a job such as playing in a certain style, signing only young players, developing players via the youth etc all things clubs can demand you do when you take the job

However if you haven't got that long to learn the new systems I would steer away from buying it. If your last version is 2011 then it is going to seem completely overwhelming and take a good piece of time to delve into all the different systems and get the hang of them. If you want a "richer" experience (not necessarily better depending on what you want out of the game) then it definitely provides that
I'm a Subbuteo and CM 01/02 man myself. You're quite right, what you're describing there would wobble my brain. Can't beat a bit of 4-4-2.

I too had the Spectrum version described above and probably the last one I used at any great length was CM97/98 . I played a demo version of the latest version during lockdown but it was far too detailed to grip my attention to be honest.
I have a vague memory as a kid playing a board game called Wembley.
And I still have Bobby Charlton’s Casdon Soccer 0DACC6DE-E262-48FF-9FF8-CE97075FFF62.jpg

I remember that one. I still have the disc, but it wont play on newer pc's. I think it needs an old windows 98 type machine., it ran in ms/dos. some of these older games also don't like a new machine that are too powerful.
I do somewhere as well.

They uploaded it so it could be run for free via a website to get around the newer PC issue a few years back but I'm not sure whether it's still there.

If you want a more up to date, modern version of Wembley there's a board game called "Time of Soccer" which I think is very good

And I still have Bobby Charlton’s Casdon Soccer
You've really hit the nostalgia button there for me with that one. I'd completely forgotten about it.I had this when i was really young maybe 5 or 6. Sadly, I think my cousin used to beat me at this as well as Subbuteo...

I bought FM 20 last year when there was free access for a few months. Started up an online save with 3 mates each managing a premier league team. It was great fun and really helped in the lockdown. Being as I had the game I started a solo career at Blyth Spartans, before down to Plymouth then Aston Villa. Now I've just been handed the England job in the year 2030. Many an hour wasted😂!!!

I bought FM 20 last year when there was free access for a few months. Started up an online save with 3 mates each managing a premier league team. It was great fun and really helped in the lockdown. Being as I had the game I started a solo career at Blyth Spartans, before down to Plymouth then Aston Villa. Now I've just been handed the England job in the year 2030. Many an hour wasted😂!!!
Are you looking forward to getting out a little more?