Are Oldies the best? | Vital Football

Are Oldies the best?

Gratzimp

Vital Squad Member
Thought as I am waiting for security clearance to go through, I would renew my old Steam account. After doing so, I found I still had "Football Manager 2011" active, so have been playing it.
Unbelievable, the changes that have happened in just ten years, Scunny in the Championship, along with Donny. Sunderland, Wigan and Blackpool in the Prem as well as Bolton. Southampton, Yeovil and Sheff Wed in L1,
Players in our squad such as Josh O'Keefe, Clark Keltie, Gavin Macallum, Adam Watts, Joe Anyon, Albert Jarret and Delroy Facey.
With a squad like that it's no wonder I am doing so badly. But are the old Football management games much better AI wise than the new ones, are the new ones better? Is there much difference. I'd like to know if it is worth upgrading to the latest version.
I mean this version is KIN hard, I mean KIN hard. One week I beat Gills 6-1 away, the next I lose 4-1 at home to 22nd placed Stevenage!
Your opinions and views most welcome.

I usually get a FM every third year but only when the price has gone down, which usually coincides with the new edition coming out.

I have this years though as the missus bought it for me at Christmas. The AI and matchday is much improved from the last one I had (the 19 version) and I am enjoying this edition especially since they updated it recently so the winter transfer deals are on there now. If you've only got 11 it's worth investing in the new one, but I'd wait until the price has gone down.

Can't do Space invaders let alone Football Management games (who has the time?) Subbuteo is the one true footy game!

I've got a very old football game called "Penalty".
A little box with a paper pitch which you unfold. And then a pack of cards which the two players play in turn and which kick the ball differing number of spaces.
Free-kicks, corners and one Penalty! card also in the pack.
Always found scorelines to be very realistic, 2-0, 2-1, 1-0 etc.
Found it in a shop. Don't know when it actually dates from though.

i remember Championship Manager 3 1998 season, when Lincoln were in the old 3rd division. John Finnigan, Kevin Austin, Gavin Gordon, Phil Stant, Terry Fleming... that team.
One game, I took charge of Carlisle and managed to sign a 37 year old Diego Maradona who was without a club. I had to pay him 7k a week, but as they had a 16,000 capacity ground, we'd obviously fill it every week and easily cover his wage.(which didnt happen.still only getting 3,000 for a home crowd) The game was played so that you just read a text format, when anything happened, with proper match sound effects like refs whistle and the crowd singing. He made a big difference to the playing fortunes though, for the first time i saw descriptions such as "Maradona 'skips' past the defender". It wasn't the game being Hortonesq, it would have said the defenders name, i've just forgotten it. But, wow he was good. Scoring direct freekicks regularly. He must have had a poor discipline rating as he kept getting sent off.
We reached the Division 4 play off final at the old twin towers wembley stadium. I'd be thinking about it at work, i'm playing Cambridge Utd tonight. Jotting down my line up.
I remember losing the final and Maradona getting a red card and then striking the ref. Straight up. he got a 6 month FIFA ban for that.
I have played the game over the years now and again. For me the biggest thrill would be taking a team up the divisions and developing them. Much harder now, than back then.
Ever since Danny Cowley took over as Lincoln manager though, the fortunes of the club, and the progress it has made up the divisions, is better than you could ever hope for playing a computer game. Real life is bettering the fantasy you could create on your PC.

Bought a version of FM a few years back. Had a nasty habit of letting you grab a big name, healthy, ideal for the level that your team were at, but who would then be out injured for a few months from only his first or second outing. Ggrrrr.

I've got a very old football game called "Penalty".
A little box with a paper pitch which you unfold. And then a pack of cards which the two players play in turn and which kick the ball differing number of spaces.
Free-kicks, corners and one Penalty! card also in the pack.
Always found scorelines to be very realistic, 2-0, 2-1, 1-0 etc.
Found it in a shop. Don't know when it actually dates from though.

This made me smile, I spent hours playing "penalty",id forgotten about it, brilliantl game.

I used to play the 98-99 version many, many years after. This version had enough detail for me but without the silliness of doing press conferences or really detailed tactics. I think I might still have the CD somewhere, and there are versions that are free to download online.

Hadn't played for some years but a friend in the industry got me a steam code for the latest version:

All the major elements have been significantly updated since 2011.
Scouting (much improved and more realistic)
Training (much more complicated and allows for much more granularity in defining training)
Transfers (Much more realistic now, you can't simply go out and sign incredible players just because you have money, they have expectations and demands. Also negotiations are much more flexible now)
Match Engine and Tactics. Recent overhaul apparently. Loads better than older versions but still can get those results which make you cock your eyebrow (that also happen in real life) Implementing tactics is much easier with far more variety and transparent and player instructions etc much more varied
Financials. Lots more involvement in budgets etc, club expectations are a thing as well with demands when you take a job such as playing in a certain style, signing only young players, developing players via the youth etc all things clubs can demand you do when you take the job

However if you haven't got that long to learn the new systems I would steer away from buying it. If your last version is 2011 then it is going to seem completely overwhelming and take a good piece of time to delve into all the different systems and get the hang of them. If you want a "richer" experience (not necessarily better depending on what you want out of the game) then it definitely provides that