Antonio Conte - (Sacked) Manager Thread | Page 40 | Vital Football

Antonio Conte - (Sacked) Manager Thread

Was Conte's time as head coach a success/failure?

• Success

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Failure

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Neither - just more wasted time

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
I wonder if the club have been talking to him about a new deal?

Or are they holding back to see if we get CL?
Both Bentancur and Kulu have said they came here because of Conte.

If you are a potential player coming in, would you want to join us if Conte leaves a year later?

I don't particularly like the situation we are in regarding his contract.

His presser yesterday was excellent. He seems to be finding a groove and the players are finally responding. Anything can happen but if this continues he could be here for the road to the top.

It’s a fair question Nick but if he can achieve his goals with us and he is backed properly then his achievements with us will surpass anything he has done before. He will have had no reason to move on. I recognise the ifs there and that Levy has a track record but Paratici’s second round of purchase and maybe also 50% of the first appear to be good for us. CL this year will give him the capability to get the targets that both he and Conte know are required.
The question is would Pochettino achieve with us when he isn’t able to get an effective tune out of his PSG superstars?

I wonder if the club have been talking to him about a new deal?

Or are they holding back to see if we get CL?
Both Bentancur and Kulu have said they came here because of Conte.

If you are a potential player coming in, would you want to join us if Conte leaves a year later?

I don't particularly like the situation we are in regarding his contract.

LLoris has already said just a couple of days ago that he believes Conte will stay if we buy well (he'll have an insiders view we don't), and one employee of the club has told me that he thinks it's a certainty; he wants 4 players in the summer and I'm told work to make it happen is well advanced and he's being kept informed every step of the way - of course saying we're working on it and making them happen is two different things.

At the moment, I'd say that he's likely to stay, he's buying a new property just north of London and I think that's a positive development.

I knew I'd read it somewhere, anyway, this is what Lloris said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham-antonio-conte-hugo-lloris-b988802.html

also this:

Tottenham Hotspur boss Antonio Conte has announced that he wants to remain in North London next season, so long as the Lilywhites can match his ambition.

The Premier League and Serie A-winning coach only took over at the club back in November but has been linked with a swift exit amid Spurs' struggles for consistency this term.

Conte has won 13, drawn three and lost eight of his 24 games in charge of Spurs so far, but the Italian intends to honour his contract until 2023 with the right backing from those upstairs.

"For sure at the moment there is only one truth - I am committed to this club for another year. The club wanted this type of situation and I accepted it because it was good to get to know each other," Conte told reporters at a press conference.

"After four months I think the club have understood the way I want to work and I understand the club. We have three more months till the end of the season to continue to improve our knowledge of each other and then to find the best solution for both.

"I can tell you that I am enjoying working for this club and I would like to fight for something important for this club. For sure it is true that I would like this - to fight for the future, to fight to be competitive, to fight to win and not only to finish fourth in the league, because I repeat, that is not my ambition.

"My ambition is to be competitive and to fight to win. I want this and I know my heart, my soul, my mind wants these things. I hope myself and the club match each other in this situation."

Last edited:
You might know Ex, it seems that rumour wise, Spurs have laid out back up plans in case Conte departs this summer....Genessio of Rennes to take over/replace him, do you know out about this rumour or is it just media bullshit again?

Money aside, why would Conte want to go to PSG? Ligue 1 is almost assured each season so effectively he'd be challenging for one trophy - the Champions League - each season. He strikes me as a manager who needs more of a meaningful challenge than that.

Money aside, why would Conte want to go to PSG? Ligue 1 is almost assured each season so effectively he'd be challenging for one trophy - the Champions League - each season. He strikes me as a manager who needs more of a meaningful challenge than that.
Depends on how he views winning the CL, it is the pinnacle after all. It's also a challenge, numerous managers have tried and failed to win it at PSG.

Depends on how he views winning the CL, it is the pinnacle after all. It's also a challenge, numerous managers have tried and failed to win it at PSG.
I didn't mean to undermine the status of the CL. But its knockout format means you're not even guaranteed a run to the latter stages of the competition. And if your whole season hinges on that tournament, then what? That's what I meant. But who knows? Maybe it is enough to entice even a manager of Conte's stature.

The pundits were saying yesterday that Conte improves players and extracts the best out of players.
We talked about this a while back and it might be worth revisiting.
Some worth discussing are Son, Royal, Davies, Reguilon and Hojbjerg. Maybe even Kane.

The pundits were saying yesterday that Conte improves players and extracts the best out of players.
We talked about this a while back and it might be worth revisiting.
Some worth discussing are Son, Royal, Davies, Reguilon and Hojbjerg. Maybe even Kane.

I read week that Dier was lauding him for making it so uncomfortable for everyone in training etc...and how it was working, if so, then Conte clearly knows how to improve the concentration and application of the players, and that is a huge bonus as it's clearly beginning to eliminate unforced errors and is getting them to believe in themselves again....last time we were in the Top 4 at this stage of the season was back in 2019...!

Supposedly there is an article on Conte's future in The Athletic. Does anyone have access and could they provide a synopsis, please and thank you.

Supposedly there is an article on Conte's future in The Athletic. Does anyone have access and could they provide a synopsis, please and thank you.

Here's the article 80, no new info really but a decent summing up of things:

Antonio Conte is addicted to coaching and winning, and the buzz for Tottenham’s head coach has never looked as real as it did in the aftermath of their 5-1 home win over Newcastle United.

Those who know Conte best say that football is like a drug to him. However much he might like to moan and complain in press conferences, and act like he is never truly happy in whichever job he holds, the reality is the opposite.

Conte needs this. He needs to be on the training pitch every day, working his magic with the players, teaching them his patterns. He needs to be on the touchline every weekend, screaming orders. And he needs the rush of vindication that comes with every victory. (People often wonder why he took the Spurs job in November after turning it down in the summer. A big part of the answer is he did not want to spend another whole year sitting at home, out of the game.)

There have been a few good moments in Conte’s brief Tottenham tenure so far, but rarely will he have felt that dopamine surge from victory and adulation quite like on Sunday.

Yes, clearly, the 3-2 win away to champions and league leaders Manchester City in February was his best result with Spurs, but even at the time that felt like it might have been a one-off, after losing the prior three league matches.

harry-kane-scores-scaled.jpg

But Sunday felt different.

In front of a home crowd of 57,553 fans — this was precisely the sort of performance the new stadium was built for — Conte received wave after wave of the fans singing his name in the second half. When he was celebrating with the players at the final whistle, it looked like they were all thrilled with their work.

What has made the last few Spurs games so satisfying for Conte is that it looks as if the team has finally clicked.

Since that defeat at struggling Burnley just four days after beating City, when the Italian looked like a man close to throwing in the towel, they have won five out of six league matches, scoring 19 goals and conceding two in those five. They lost the other one, 3-2 at Old Trafford, but were the better team against Manchester United that day for long spells, only to make defensive mistakes and misfire in the attacking third.

Even so, take those six games as a block and Spurs’ haul of 21 goals scored and 15 points earned are marks of a team who have really found their groove. With every game, the team look more comfortable with Conte’s style of play.

“The hard work is paying off,” he said on Sunday. “They understand that this is the right way.”

Tottenham are tight enough at the back, and are able to create plenty of chances going forward. When they do attack — just look at the goals scored by Son Heung-min or Emerson Royal against Newcastle — they do so in a distinctly Conte way. No other coach gets his teams to play quite like this.

So, when was the last time Spurs were this good? Certainly, at the start of last season, they had a good run, winning five out of six (or six out of eight) in the league under Jose Mourinho. But that was a different style, more minimalistic, creating fewer chances, scoring fewer goals, and more dependent on the finishing of Son and Harry Kane. And it was not built to last: their form collapsed and Mourinho was sacked in the April.

To go back to the last time Tottenham were consistently winning games and winning big, you would have to go back to the middle of 2018-19 — Mauricio Pochettino’s last full season as manager. Spurs won five out of six in the January and early February, following a run of five straight victories in the December that included a 6-2 at Goodison Park and a 5-0 at home to Bournemouth either side of Christmas.

This is the first time, then, for three and a bit years that Spurs have been in this type of form.

But even that period, looking back, was the end of something, even if we did not know it at the time. That was Tottenham’s last good run in the league under Pochettino.

That team was on its last legs, after the failure to refresh it by selling those Pochettino wanted out — or by bringing in anyone at all. They had nothing left to give, which made their run to the Champions League final even more miraculous in retrospect.

What Tottenham are just starting to glimpse now, which they have not seen since the peak Pochettino years, is the sense the team is upwardly mobile, with good young players as well as experienced ones. (Dejan Kulusevski is 21, Cristian Romero 23, Rodrigo Bentancur 24.)

They look like a team whose next season should be better than this one. And every football fan knows what a powerful feeling that is.

We do not know how this season is going to end. The race to finish fourth and qualify for the Champions League will be very tight but Tottenham must be buoyed by Arsenal’s 3-0 defeat at Crystal Palace last night.

If Tottenham tail off over the next couple of months, miss out on fourth, and are consigned to a year in the Europa League or a second straight season in the third-tier Conference League, then, to some, the Conte experiment may look like a failure. Even though he has clearly transformed the side.

At that point, the questions will start again about Conte’s future.

He has not publicly committed himself to seeing out the final year of the contract he signed in November. He has raised the possibility that he might “stop” in the job if he does not feel his vision is aligned with that of the club. If he does not feel good about next season, about Spurs’ capacity to challenge and the players coming in this summer, he may well consider whether he would be better off elsewhere.

Then, connected to the future of Conte, is the future of Kane. Manchester United certainly want him this summer and the England captain, who has not committed his long-term future to Tottenham, would be curious to hear them out. But even though Kane has another two years left on his contract after this one and turns 29 in July, the idea that chairman Daniel Levy would sell him to domestic rivals sounds fantastical. Especially given what it would signal to Conte: that Spurs were not interested in competing next season.

But even if Conte does have his ears open to possible options elsewhere, what offers would he have, given how high-maintenance most clubs consider him to be? And, crucially, would the 52-year-old be able to work there, wherever that is, better than he can at Tottenham right now?

Paris Saint-Germain have been interested for a while and if Pochettino, their current head coach, leaves this summer then Conte would surely be top of their list.

At first glance, PSG have better players than Spurs, can guarantee Champions League football every season and play in a much more winnable domestic league.

But Conte will have noticed how difficult it is for any manager to impose his ideas on that club, given how powerful the players are. Pochettino has struggled to establish his pressing game, given he has to build around Lionel Messi and Neymar. Why would Conte fare any better?

Then there is talk of Roma back home, in case they decide to replace Mourinho this summer after a single season in charge. There may well be an attraction for Conte to go to a club who have not won Serie A for more than 20 years, and where he would be a hero if he could return them to the top.

But there are no guarantees. And many of the problems he would face in the Italian capital would look too much like the ones he currently has in London.

It could be trying to replace a long-term losing culture with a winning one, and convincing the players they could compete. Or trying to instil his ideas on an unreceptive squad, selling the players who did not buy into his way, and replacing them with some who did. But wherever he might go, Conte would face the same early-tenure challenges he has just faced at Spurs. And you wonder whether it would really be worth it to go through that same painful process again.

Because Tottenham no longer look like a team in transition. They look like a bona fide Conte team now — just one in need of a few additions.

Conte has done the hard yards with them over the past five months. Whether they finish fourth, fifth or even sixth or seventh this year, next season should be better for Tottenham than this one.

Why would he not want to be part of that?

Here's the article 80, no new info really but a decent summing up of things:

Antonio Conte is addicted to coaching and winning, and the buzz for Tottenham’s head coach has never looked as real as it did in the aftermath of their 5-1 home win over Newcastle United.

Those who know Conte best say that football is like a drug to him. However much he might like to moan and complain in press conferences, and act like he is never truly happy in whichever job he holds, the reality is the opposite.

Conte needs this. He needs to be on the training pitch every day, working his magic with the players, teaching them his patterns. He needs to be on the touchline every weekend, screaming orders. And he needs the rush of vindication that comes with every victory. (People often wonder why he took the Spurs job in November after turning it down in the summer. A big part of the answer is he did not want to spend another whole year sitting at home, out of the game.)

There have been a few good moments in Conte’s brief Tottenham tenure so far, but rarely will he have felt that dopamine surge from victory and adulation quite like on Sunday.

Yes, clearly, the 3-2 win away to champions and league leaders Manchester City in February was his best result with Spurs, but even at the time that felt like it might have been a one-off, after losing the prior three league matches.

harry-kane-scores-scaled.jpg

But Sunday felt different.

In front of a home crowd of 57,553 fans — this was precisely the sort of performance the new stadium was built for — Conte received wave after wave of the fans singing his name in the second half. When he was celebrating with the players at the final whistle, it looked like they were all thrilled with their work.

What has made the last few Spurs games so satisfying for Conte is that it looks as if the team has finally clicked.

Since that defeat at struggling Burnley just four days after beating City, when the Italian looked like a man close to throwing in the towel, they have won five out of six league matches, scoring 19 goals and conceding two in those five. They lost the other one, 3-2 at Old Trafford, but were the better team against Manchester United that day for long spells, only to make defensive mistakes and misfire in the attacking third.

Even so, take those six games as a block and Spurs’ haul of 21 goals scored and 15 points earned are marks of a team who have really found their groove. With every game, the team look more comfortable with Conte’s style of play.

“The hard work is paying off,” he said on Sunday. “They understand that this is the right way.”

Tottenham are tight enough at the back, and are able to create plenty of chances going forward. When they do attack — just look at the goals scored by Son Heung-min or Emerson Royal against Newcastle — they do so in a distinctly Conte way. No other coach gets his teams to play quite like this.

So, when was the last time Spurs were this good? Certainly, at the start of last season, they had a good run, winning five out of six (or six out of eight) in the league under Jose Mourinho. But that was a different style, more minimalistic, creating fewer chances, scoring fewer goals, and more dependent on the finishing of Son and Harry Kane. And it was not built to last: their form collapsed and Mourinho was sacked in the April.

To go back to the last time Tottenham were consistently winning games and winning big, you would have to go back to the middle of 2018-19 — Mauricio Pochettino’s last full season as manager. Spurs won five out of six in the January and early February, following a run of five straight victories in the December that included a 6-2 at Goodison Park and a 5-0 at home to Bournemouth either side of Christmas.

This is the first time, then, for three and a bit years that Spurs have been in this type of form.

But even that period, looking back, was the end of something, even if we did not know it at the time. That was Tottenham’s last good run in the league under Pochettino.

That team was on its last legs, after the failure to refresh it by selling those Pochettino wanted out — or by bringing in anyone at all. They had nothing left to give, which made their run to the Champions League final even more miraculous in retrospect.

What Tottenham are just starting to glimpse now, which they have not seen since the peak Pochettino years, is the sense the team is upwardly mobile, with good young players as well as experienced ones. (Dejan Kulusevski is 21, Cristian Romero 23, Rodrigo Bentancur 24.)

They look like a team whose next season should be better than this one. And every football fan knows what a powerful feeling that is.

We do not know how this season is going to end. The race to finish fourth and qualify for the Champions League will be very tight but Tottenham must be buoyed by Arsenal’s 3-0 defeat at Crystal Palace last night.

If Tottenham tail off over the next couple of months, miss out on fourth, and are consigned to a year in the Europa League or a second straight season in the third-tier Conference League, then, to some, the Conte experiment may look like a failure. Even though he has clearly transformed the side.

At that point, the questions will start again about Conte’s future.

He has not publicly committed himself to seeing out the final year of the contract he signed in November. He has raised the possibility that he might “stop” in the job if he does not feel his vision is aligned with that of the club. If he does not feel good about next season, about Spurs’ capacity to challenge and the players coming in this summer, he may well consider whether he would be better off elsewhere.

Then, connected to the future of Conte, is the future of Kane. Manchester United certainly want him this summer and the England captain, who has not committed his long-term future to Tottenham, would be curious to hear them out. But even though Kane has another two years left on his contract after this one and turns 29 in July, the idea that chairman Daniel Levy would sell him to domestic rivals sounds fantastical. Especially given what it would signal to Conte: that Spurs were not interested in competing next season.

But even if Conte does have his ears open to possible options elsewhere, what offers would he have, given how high-maintenance most clubs consider him to be? And, crucially, would the 52-year-old be able to work there, wherever that is, better than he can at Tottenham right now?

Paris Saint-Germain have been interested for a while and if Pochettino, their current head coach, leaves this summer then Conte would surely be top of their list.

At first glance, PSG have better players than Spurs, can guarantee Champions League football every season and play in a much more winnable domestic league.

But Conte will have noticed how difficult it is for any manager to impose his ideas on that club, given how powerful the players are. Pochettino has struggled to establish his pressing game, given he has to build around Lionel Messi and Neymar. Why would Conte fare any better?

Then there is talk of Roma back home, in case they decide to replace Mourinho this summer after a single season in charge. There may well be an attraction for Conte to go to a club who have not won Serie A for more than 20 years, and where he would be a hero if he could return them to the top.

But there are no guarantees. And many of the problems he would face in the Italian capital would look too much like the ones he currently has in London.

It could be trying to replace a long-term losing culture with a winning one, and convincing the players they could compete. Or trying to instil his ideas on an unreceptive squad, selling the players who did not buy into his way, and replacing them with some who did. But wherever he might go, Conte would face the same early-tenure challenges he has just faced at Spurs. And you wonder whether it would really be worth it to go through that same painful process again.

Because Tottenham no longer look like a team in transition. They look like a bona fide Conte team now — just one in need of a few additions.

Conte has done the hard yards with them over the past five months. Whether they finish fourth, fifth or even sixth or seventh this year, next season should be better for Tottenham than this one.

Why would he not want to be part of that?

Thank you. :thumbup: