Antonio Conte - (Sacked) Manager Thread | Page 38 | Vital Football

Antonio Conte - (Sacked) Manager Thread

Was Conte's time as head coach a success/failure?

• Success

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Failure

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Neither - just more wasted time

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
This is why his appointment was bizarre. We needed a long term manager who could build the club from the bottom up on a tight budget.

We have also hired 3 managers in a row that are renowned for boring, negative football. Which is the total opposite of what Levy said in his final words document last season.

Yep, what you say is so important. We bought a set of players for one style of football and then brought in 3 consecutive managers who negated all of their strengths.

The departed and loaned players are now the ones having the last laugh as they settle down in their new clubs playing attractive football and enjoying life. Then we act all surprised when someone like Kulusevski or Romero show some technical ability with the ball at their feet.

Saying that, there is a part of me that thinks that our style of football will improve as Conte replaces the players that hold that back. Don't ever expect to play easy-on-the-eye football with guys like Emerson, Hojbjerg and Davies in your line-up.

This is why his appointment was bizarre. We needed a long term manager who could build the club from the bottom up on a tight budget.

We have also hired 3 managers in a row that are renowned for boring, negative football. Which is the total opposite of what Levy said in his final words document last season.
I doubt if there were any managers immediately available last November who fitted the bill of a 'long term manager who could build the club from the bottom up on a tight budget'.

And of those managers who fitted the bill but were currently employed, I doubt very much that we could have prized any of them away either.

Conte was a pragmatic choice in the circumstances. A punt. A big name to quickly gloss over the failure of Nuno. It's a short-term contract so there's no real downside other than his big wages. And if things aren't working out, he'll walk in the summer. He won't need to be pushed.

Your second point about Levy's promise is crucial though. He promised us a vision. Yet we seem to be further away from that vision than ever. I watch the team now and we have no identity. We're losing our DNA.

It's for Levy to spell out this vision to Paratici. It's Paratici's role then to shape the squad with players who fit the blueprint. Then hire the manager who can implement it.

I admire the vision of flair football but its not really practical. If there is a lot of money it's possible but not guaranteed. Buying in the bargain basement is not the way to achieve it. City and Liverpool can play it, Chelsea too but at what cost ?

I doubt if there were any managers immediately available last November who fitted the bill of a 'long term manager who could build the club from the bottom up on a tight budget'.

And of those managers who fitted the bill but were currently employed, I doubt very much that we could have prized any of them away either.

Conte was a pragmatic choice in the circumstances. A punt. A big name to quickly gloss over the failure of Nuno. It's a short-term contract so there's no real downside other than his big wages. And if things aren't working out, he'll walk in the summer. He won't need to be pushed.

Your second point about Levy's promise is crucial though. He promised us a vision. Yet we seem to be further away from that vision than ever. I watch the team now and we have no identity. We're losing our DNA.

It's for Levy to spell out this vision to Paratici. It's Paratici's role then to shape the squad with players who fit the blueprint. Then hire the manager who can implement it.

About his big wages.....he won't be getting any bonuses for the 3 cups. His top 4 bonus is unlikely to happen. All he has left to lose is his bonus for qualifying for EL or ECL. He must be worried about those elements as well.

His base salary plus bonus is rapidly becoming base salary.

Conte was Paratici's preferred target when we hired Nuno.

Conte has publicly said he wasn't ready at the beginning of the season to take any position. He had reengaged at the time we hired him.

Also, I don't think Conte's primary motivator is money. It is success. And if he manages to turn this around, which I do think he is capable of, then he will be considered a really top manager. The money will flow into his bank account then and will be well earned. He is not Mourinho.

There isn't any contract mystery here.

Conte was Paratici's preferred target when we hired Nuno.

Conte has publicly said he wasn't ready at the beginning of the season to take any position. He had reengaged at the time we hired him.

Also, I don't think Conte's primary motivator is money. It is success. And if he manages to turn this around, which I do think he is capable of, then he will be considered a really top manager. The money will flow into his bank account then and will be well earned. He is not Mourinho.

There isn't any contract mystery here.

Could be he doesn't much like the rep he's gotten as a finisher and not a builder. He's a rich man already, and could have a pick of a good number of jobs. Absolutely 1000000% knew EXACTLY what he was getting into, what the plan is, and how it was going to go forward, before he came on board. No question or debate about that. Nothing outside of that has happened, and that plan has not changed.

Whether he's got the nous to make it happen, and the minerals to see it thru, that is the questions.

Could be he doesn't much like the rep he's gotten as a finisher and not a builder. He's a rich man already, and could have a pick of a good number of jobs. Absolutely 1000000% knew EXACTLY what he was getting into, what the plan is, and how it was going to go forward, before he came on board. No question or debate about that. Nothing outside of that has happened, and that plan has not changed.

Whether he's got the nous to make it happen, and the minerals to see it thru, that is the questions.

And that is what he wants to find out as well. Admirable in such a high profile situation.

Interesting comments made post match by Conte last night concerning the amount of available preparation time contributing toward improved performances. When he excludes the excessive emotion from his interviews, normally when we've won, he talks an awful lot of sense. Certainly the lack of alternative competitions over the rest of the season can only help in achieving the best possible league position.
Being in the Conference League was always something of an embarassment, and our removal from it may well turn out to be the best thing that could have happened to us.

Interesting comments made post match by Conte last night concerning the amount of available preparation time contributing toward improved performances. When he excludes the excessive emotion from his interviews, normally when we've won, he talks an awful lot of sense. Certainly the lack of alternative competitions over the rest of the season can only help in achieving the best possible league position.
Being in the Conference League was always something of an embarassment, and our removal from it may well turn out to be the best thing that could have happened to us.

Sky showed the stats last night about our performances <4 days prep vs those 4 days or more. There is definitely something about that cycle between games that is massively different in our results.

I think you are right though. There was definitely a freshness about Spurs against Everton that wasn't there for Boro.

Sky showed the stats last night about our performances <4 days prep vs those 4 days or more. There is definitely something about that cycle between games that is massively different in our results.

I think you are right though. There was definitely a freshness about Spurs against Everton that wasn't there for Boro.
Unfortunately we have Brighton next Wednesday. Another away match scheduled after an away game in Manchester. I wonder if the people who agree rearranged fixtures at our club take these factors into account?

Having said that, I'd like to see a more significant sample before drawing any firm conclusions. And if we're to be successful in Europe it's something we really have to get used to. Under Poch I don't remember much of a drop off - if at all - when we were competing in the Champions League and our league form the weekend following.

November & December under Conte; WDWWWWDWWD
Our form under the great manager that is Conte 2022; WLWLWLWLLWLWLWL

When we concede a goal, we have won only 4 games during since the start of the year; 1 was the last minute freak events against Leicester, Morcambe and Brighton in the FA cup, and Man City.

New manager bounce is well and truly over. Is he going to step up and prove why he has such a good reputation or will he continue to do the same thing over and over again but expect a different outcome?

November & December under Conte; WDWWWWDWWD
Our form under the great manager that is Conte 2022; WLWLWLWLLWLWLWL

When we concede a goal, we have won only 4 games during since the start of the year; 1 was the last minute freak events against Leicester, Morcambe and Brighton in the FA cup, and Man City.

New manager bounce is well and truly over. Is he going to step up and prove why he has such a good reputation or will he continue to do the same thing over and over again but expect a different outcome?

The Conte/ Einstein theory.

Just watched pre Brighton presser. Conte implied he is being kept in the dark over Skipps fitness. Well bloody demand answers then !! You are the Head Coach .
On the run in, he said he has to ask for more from his senior players. Hugo , Kane and Son. There are question marks over all 3 so good luck with that !!

Just watched pre Brighton presser. Conte implied he is being kept in the dark over Skipps fitness. Well bloody demand answers then !! You are the Head Coach .
On the run in, he said he has to ask for more from his senior players. Hugo , Kane and Son. There are question marks over all 3 so good luck with that !!

I interpreted his Skipp comments to mean they are all frustrated with his lack of progress on his recovery.

Sounding rather inflexible. Alot more to prove to stake such a large chunk of arrogance if you ask me. One would think with the repeated failing of the head-smashing no plan-b bs, that something would change, or at least from any reasonable man it might. I expect exactly the exact same tomorrow. And the results are utterly unpredictable. This may not be the way forward.

Im not yet at all convinced.

I have become increasingly unsure about Conte, but it does beg the question as to whether there is a manager on the planet who could manage this team successfully.

Getting a tad boring him threatening to walk in the summer.

All I keep hearing in any interview is "the club must match my ambition ".

From what I see he is tactically weak so I don't care if he goes to be honest.

Getting a tad boring him threatening to walk in the summer.

All I keep hearing in any interview is "the club must match my ambition ".

From what I see he is tactically weak so I don't care if he goes to be honest.
I read two different rumours this morning of United and PSG being interested in him. Granted those articles are likely bollocks but I also honestly wouldn't be bothered if he walked away

I read two different rumours this morning of United and PSG being interested in him. Granted those articles are likely bollocks but I also honestly wouldn't be bothered if he walked away
Would we advocate a swap deal with PSG.............Conte for Poch?