Another One Gone | Page 2 | Vital Football

Another One Gone

Anyone remember back in about 97 when they ground shared with us? They of course hate Scally because he charged them rent. When they eventually moved to the AmEx they became massive overnight. Any team that forces away fans to sit in the shit hole they had at Withdean deserves all they get.

Go to watch Brighton sometimes as get tickets through work. I'll support whoever is playing them as I can't stand them.

They are a dreadful side, not surprised at all he has been sacked. They spent half decent money in the summer but as pointed out above none of the signings made much of an impact. Be a good job for someone, they will either go for someone performing above expectations in the Championship or try and get a up-and-coming 30 something from a foreign league.

They would have got relegated next season without a change, no doubt about that at all. Hughton didn't have the abilities to change how they play.

Anyone remember back in about 97 when they ground shared with us? They of course hate Scally because he charged them rent. When they eventually moved to the AmEx they became massive overnight. Any team that forces away fans to sit in the shit hole they had at Withdean deserves all they get.

It wasn't a great away end. Those in glass houses though...

Go to watch Brighton sometimes as get tickets through work. I'll support whoever is playing them as I can't stand them.

They are a dreadful side, not surprised at all he has been sacked. They spent half decent money in the summer but as pointed out above none of the signings made much of an impact. Be a good job for someone, they will either go for someone performing above expectations in the Championship or try and get a up-and-coming 30 something from a foreign league.

They would have got relegated next season without a change, no doubt about that at all. Hughton didn't have the abilities to change how they play.

I've sent you a message, Hast...

Our chairman often mentions Brighton's progress as a model he would like to emulate. New, bigger capacity ground attracting more support and a push for the Premier league. Hughton got and kept Brighton up, whatever you think of his tactics. The Brighton owners now want more than just survival so plan to invest to challenge the bigger boys.
Our chairman wants more than just L1 survival for our beloved Gills so, I believe, he is having a go to do likewise.

Our chairman often mentions Brighton's progress as a model he would like to emulate. New, bigger capacity ground attracting more support and a push for the Premier league. Hughton got and kept Brighton up, whatever you think of his tactics. The Brighton owners now want more than just survival so plan to invest to challenge the bigger boys.
Our chairman wants more than just L1 survival for our beloved Gills so, I believe, he is having a go to do likewise.

Brighton always had a big fan base. I know it shrunk considerably in the post-Goldstone years but it was always laying there dormant. I remember when their fans held protests in the city there were more than 20,000 of them.

Yes, I know that we have a similarly big catchment area, and that we took all those supporters to Wembley. But I'm still not sure we're comparable to Brighton in terms of history of fan base.

Brighton always had a big fan base. I know it shrunk considerably in the post-Goldstone years but it was always laying there dormant. I remember when their fans held protests in the city there were more than 20,000 of them.

Yes, I know that we have a similarly big catchment area, and that we took all those supporters to Wembley. But I'm still not sure we're comparable to Brighton in terms of history of fan base.

I make you right on that.
Is it that our target audience think Priestfield is a bit inaccessible or our product/pricing is not attractive enough? Or do Brighton engage better with their community to encourage new fans along?

I make you right on that.
Is it that our target audience think Priestfield is a bit inaccessible or our product/pricing is not attractive enough? Or do Brighton engage better with their community to encourage new fans along?

I don't know much about it but I do spend time in Brighton. I know that their community work includes sending coaches to all the primary and secondary schools in the city. My boy has been on their radar for several years. There is also a park and ride scheme with fee buses and trains on match days.

They do of course have a much bigger budget than us, most especially since they got promoted to the Premier league. And being in the Premier League is obviously more attractive than being in League One.

Last edited:
But look what happened to Leicester when they sacked Nigel Pearson
To be fair, that was pretty much all Pearson's squad and the first nine straight wins of the brilliant run they went on were the nine straight wins (Iirc) that kept them up the season before. Even Ranieri has acknowledged this.

Yes, I remember that. I met a minibus full of them at a petrol station one evening before they were playing a match at Priestfield at the time. I tried to strike up a friendly conversation, but they were all very physically and verbally aggressive to me, particularly when they new I was a Gills fan. And we were doing them a favour, lending them our ground. Nasty b*****ds.
I look forward to being in the same division as them in the not to distant future!!

Also Pearson was not sacked for footballing reasons. His son a player with Leicester was caught misbehaving during a club visit to Thailand.

To be fair, that was pretty much all Pearson's squad and the first nine straight wins of the brilliant run they went on were the nine straight wins (Iirc) that kept them up the season before. Even Ranieri has acknowledged this.
Pearson's departure from Leicester was not football-related as Wikipedia shows https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Pearson

Would he have done as well as Ranieri, who knows? I doubt it somehow given his general lack of charm.