Another One Gone | Vital Football

Another One Gone

So he gets them promoted to the top division for the first time in 34 years and keeps them up for two successive seasons. And gets them to an FA Cup semi-final for the first time in years. Then he gets sacked!

His record is better than some other manager who, against all the odds, kept his club up for two seasons and took them on the best Cup run they'd had for years but still managed to somehow lose his job.

At least Hughton got to stay until the end of the season but the decision is still an utter disgrace. Why did our game have to become like this? It is very depressing.

Last edited:
The delusions of grandeur some of these clubs have when the reach the 'promised land' of the premier league makes me laugh. Who the fuck do they think they are?

So he gets them promoted to the top division for the first time in 34 years and keeps them up for two successive seasons. And gets them to an FA Cup semi-final for the first time in years. Then he gets sacked!

His record is better than some other manager who, against all the odds, kept his club up for two seasons and took them on their best Cup run they'd had for years but still managed to somehow lose his job.

At least Hughton got to stay until the end of the season but the decision is still an utter disgrace. Why did our game have to become like this? It is very depressing.
I guess from the outside we can't judge can we.

Maybe their home record and quality of football was awful. Maybe it had been getting progressively worse so something needed to be done to stop the rot before next season. Maybe they just thought a new challenge/approach was needed?

Maybe he actually had a large budget and shouldn't have been challenging down there. I personally dont know enough about the situation, and wouldn't expect many of the premiership naysayers to know enough to opine with any sort of position of knowledge either really.

Last season they finished 15th and seven points clear of relegation but they finished one place above relegation and survived by two points. Considering the number of dodgy decisions against Cardiff this season, Brighton could easily have been relegated if Var had been in place. Over the season I've heard Brighton fans complain they have been playing negative football a

While ultimately they stayed up which should be about the extent of their ambitions, it's also true that they lost their way pretty badly in the 2nd half of the season. 26pts from their first 21 games, 10pts from their last 17. Not saying I agree with them sacking him, but maybe there was something in their form over the 2nd half of the season that made them think a change would be for the best?

I guess from the outside we can't judge can we.

Maybe their home record and quality of football was awful. Maybe it had been getting progressively worse so something needed to be done to stop the rot before next season. Maybe they just thought a new challenge/approach was needed?
Well, I just copy/pasted these from the BBC site;

As someone who's gone to many Brighton matches this season, I can say this was the correct decision. Negative tactics, especially at home including leaving two big money strikers constantly on the bench!

Chris did a great job at BHAFC. However 3 wins out of 23 simply isn't good enough along with the negative mindset of trying to not concede goals rather than score them. Puts the team under enormous pressure. We had a easy run in the cup and just because we are a small team in the PL doesn't mean we aren't looking to improve and take us further up the table next season.

Hughton has hardly been given a shoestring budget a la Warnock - Brighton spent a lot of money last summer and his signings have all been dreadful.

Nice seeing all these anti Brighton comment from fools who no nothing about Brighton Fc,,unless we change the way we play we will get relegated next season, it's been slow drab and defensive,no one at Brighton will ever forget what Chris has done for us but it's time to freshen things up

This is the 3rd time he's been sacked, I wonder whether he'll get a 4th chance?

Brighton must be favourites for relegation next season and I hope it is justified. They are my least liked club in the whole professional leagues.

But I like Hughton and he certainly deserved better.

Ok, perhaps fair enough AK and daddybag, maybe the majority of all concerned with Brighton are happy with the decision. It's their club and they should know more about it than me.

But I'd agree with Billy about the delusions of grandeur of some clubs. Look what's happened to Charlton and Stoke, to name just two clubs who got a bit too carried with thinking they were something they aint.

But I'd agree with Billy about the delusions of grandeur of some clubs. Look what's happened to Charlton and Stoke, to name just two clubs who got a bit too carried with thinking they were something they aint.

But look what happened to Leicester when they sacked Nigel Pearson

But look what happened to Leicester when they sacked Nigel Pearson

Yes, that's true.

But Leicester have very wealthy owners and have been Champions very recently. Maybe a few years ago they would have been considered as one of the clubs whose only real aim is to stay up but I'm not so sure that still pertains. Clearly, they're not amongst the elite bunch of the big 6 but I'd say they're on the next level down; a club aiming for a top ten position in the league.

Of course, the level of competition in the premier league means that it's not unthinkable for any of the clubs not in that top 6 bracket to be relegated. And you're right, before Ranieri took over, then after he'd won the league, and during Pearson's reign too, Leicester were flirting with relegation. However, they had the investment and long term vision already in place, and their (albeit freak) title-winnig season changed everything for them.

Brighton might think they have a similar vision. But I think that they should be concentrating simply on staying up. Hughton had got them up and succeeded in keeping them up. Twice.

I reckon that in twelve moths time (or maybe much sooner than that) Brighton fans will be regretting this decision.

Yes, that's true.

But Leicester have very wealthy owners and have been Champions very recently. Maybe a few years ago they would have been considered as one of the clubs whose only real aim is to stay up but I'm not so sure that still pertains. Clearly, they're not amongst the elite bunch of the big 6 but I'd say they're on the next level down; a club aiming for a top ten position in the league.

Of course, the level of competition in the premier league means that it's not unthinkable for any of the clubs not in that top 6 bracket to be relegated. And you're right, before Ranieri took over, then after he'd won the league, and during Pearson's reign too, Leicester were flirting with relegation. However, they had the investment and long term vision already in place, and their (albeit freak) title-winnig season changed everything for them.

Brighton might think they have a similar vision. But I think that they should be concentrating simply on staying up. Hughton had got them up and succeeded in keeping them up. Twice.

I reckon that in twelve moths time (or maybe much sooner than that) Brighton fans will be regretting this decision.

I think he's referring to the fact they won the premiership shortly afterwards. At the time they were very much one of the small fry in the premiership.

Who is everyone's favourite out of their big money signings?

Alireza Jahanbakhsh - £17.10m
Jurgen Locadia - £15.30m
Yves Bissouma - £15.21m
Jose Izquierdo - £13.50m
Davy Propper - £11.70M

I've only heard of the last bloke!

correct nibs. Pearson was doing well at LCFC and most thought they were wrong to sack him.

But Rainieri took them to that next level. I reckon this is about the only time that sort of sacking has worked. Most others (like Stoke and Charlton already mentioned) go tits up.

But Brighton must think they have the resources to go better. And judging from that fans view posted above, it looks like poor home form and a bad 2nd half of the season has done for Houghton.

I think he's referring to the fact they won the premiership shortly afterwards. At the time they were very much one of the small fry in the premiership.

Oh, I see. My mistake. I was thinking that Pearson replaced Ranieri.

Apologies, 3x6, your post makes a lot more sense now.

Another thing not mentioned so far on this thread (I think), is that they recently went 11 hours without scoring a goal!!