Another Dark Side of Football | Vital Football

Another Dark Side of Football

brianbru

Vital Youth Team
A BBC radio five report on football academies:-

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41839083

What I cannot understand is that a club can retain a 15 year old boys registration for years therefore stopping him from joining any professional club until the fee is paid.

I would have thought that any contract signed on behalf of a minor would expire upon them reaching the age of majority (18) or a fixed age, but these contracts seem open ended.

It seems that other youngsters caught by this clause in academy contracts have drifted out of the game.

Useful lesson for the kid and his dad that contracts matter. They should have made sure they were happy with the way Derby coached before signing.

Seems like he still has the option of dropping to non-league and coming back through that way.

This, for example, is bollocks:

Chapman added: "Next summer, we will probably see the most famous Bosman transfer in the history of football - by all accounts Alexis Sanchez will leave Arsenal on a free transfer.

"Yet, a nine-year-old who might one day aspire to be a Sanchez, but in all probability has no realistic prospect of that, carries a compensation charge.

"He doesn't have freedom of contract, Sanchez does. It can't be right."

The whole point about Bosman is that Sanchez has got to the end of his contract and is no longer tied to it. If he'd wanted to leave while still under contract Man City would have had to pay tens of millions of pounds for him.

Typical of todays youth. Think they can get and have everything they want. I've noticed this in daily life.

The artical says in most cases a claim to compensation is not applied by the club. This sounds to me like the sheep are pressing the point to an unrealistic parent who probably had a better offer our had his head turned. Good on them.

Not wanting to defend the sheep (obviously) & without knowing the full circumstances at all.

Man City, Villa, Madrid now Derby and wanting another move? Two clubs I suppose is understandable, three I can see how it could happen but when you're wanting to move to a 5th maybe the problem isn't just academies & you need to look a little closer to home?

That is my opinion as again obviously the full facts aren't there.

paplane - 6/11/2017 09:42

Typical of todays youth. Think they can get and have everything they want. I've noticed this in daily life.

The artical says in most cases a claim to compensation is not applied by the club. This sounds to me like the sheep are pressing the point to an unrealistic parent who probably had a better offer our had his head turned. Good on them.

"Zac Brunt has been part of academies at Aston Villa, Manchester City, Atletico Madrid, and most recently Derby."

Maybe you're the problem, mate?

Normally the complaint is that those fees are too low and allow big clubs to shaft smaller clubs by poaching their top talent for, effectively, nominal fees.

I see Woanz made a similar point about the number of clubs he's been at.

Football aside, today's youngsters seem to have a unrealistic sense of entitlement. A few examples:

If they want to watch a movie, then they just turn on Netflix and choose from pretty much any movie ever made. If they want to listen to music then they just download it. They can have both instantly. If they haven't got a subscription then they just take it illegally anyway.

If they want a doctors appointment then they think they can ring up and be seen today or tomorrow. They are offended if their children (who are princes and princesses) are not considered to be the centre universe by everyone.

If they want a first car then they arn't happy to have a 10 year old mini metro like I did, no, they go out and get a 2 year old car on the never never.

And a final one. They consider it a crime of they're offended, or more significantly, if they see or hear anything that they consider might be offensive to anyone else. It seems they want to be offended to me.

<end of rant>

Surely a better system would simply be to allow youngsters to move for free. However the academies would own so many years service from the player. eg if he was at Derby from 8-13 and Forest from 13-18 we would "own" 5 years service each. Compensation could be sorted out on a scale later. eg if he went on to play for England both clubs would get say £10m at a later date, if an average England player was deemed to be worth £20m.

paplane - 6/11/2017 10:38

Football aside, today's youngsters seem to have a unrealistic sense of entitlement. A few examples:

If they want to watch a movie, then they just turn on Netflix and choose from pretty much any movie ever made. If they want to listen to music then they just download it. They can have both instantly. If they haven't got a subscription then they just take it illegally anyway.

If they want a doctors appointment then they think they can ring up and be seen today or tomorrow. They are offended if their children (who are princes and princesses) are not considered to be the centre universe by everyone.

If they want a first car then they arn't happy to have a 10 year old mini metro like I did, no, they go out and get a 2 year old car on the never never.

And a final one. They consider it a crime of they're offended, or more significantly, if they see or hear anything that they consider might be offensive to anyone else. It seems they want to be offended to me.

<end of rant>

The youth of today are completely fooked.

I'm fairly certain that today's group of 18-25 year olds will be the ones to turn the light out on human life on the planet.

They are probably the most intelligent generation that's ever lived, but the vast majority haven't really got any fight in them or the attention span to ever achieve anything meaningful in their lives.

<end of rant>

Netflix has very few movies on it actually in comparison to other services.

It's perfectly reasonable to expect a same day appointment in the case of an emergency.

My nephew, his best friend and my little sister all had to save up for old bangers when they passed their driving test.

And no ones is really looking to be offended at all, that's just a generalised fallacy promoted by people who claim oppression because their bigoted world view or ignorance is no longer tolerated.

So who are we generalising next?

FeNris - 6/11/2017 14:08

<end of rant>

Netflix has very few movies on it actually in comparison to other services.

It's perfectly reasonable to expect a same day appointment in the case of an emergency.

My nephew, his best friend and my little sister all had to save up for old bangers when they passed their driving test.

And no ones is really looking to be offended at all, that's just a generalised fallacy promoted by people who claim oppression because their bigoted world view or ignorance is no longer tolerated.

So who are we generalising next?

Sorry to cause offense.

Whilst I have deep reservations about this generation (isn't that true of them all), doesn't the majority of the responsibility lay with those 30+ tasked with educating them and creating a society within which they can flourish?

As an aside it was the younger generation who fought most stoically against Brexit and the Tories, while those over 50 continued to fook everyone up the arse to satisfy their greed and delusions.

Calvin Plummer - 6/11/2017 16:30

Whilst I have deep reservations about this generation (isn't that true of them all), doesn't the majority of the responsibility lay with those 30+ tasked with educating them and creating a society within which they can flourish?

As an aside it was the younger generation who fought most stoically against Brexit and the Tories, while those over 50 continued to fook everyone up the arse to satisfy their greed and delusions.

My experience has nothing to do with my apparent bigotry, their education, or the political views of youngsters, it's the I want it now attitude that I see all the time from them that is of deep concern to me. I know I'm generalising to a certain extent but the direction of travel I'm consistently experiencing now is that this these things are becoming an issue with our young people. I'm not old myself (late 40's) so by no means a moaning tory pensioner type.

My experience is that as my employees they're very easily upset (example (females) go off crying when only mildly constructively criticised), they have a poor work ethic (consier it normal having facebook/twitter open on their pc at work all day and interacting with their mobiles all day), and assume they have a right to time of/leniency with regard to the their children (school navity plays, absence due to child illness etc). I also note that they dont think twice about taking credit in the form of loans, credi cards, overdrafts to fuel their material needs.

It's worrying IMO. This story about this young footballer at Derby seems typical to me.

Even assuming everything you say is true, whose responsibility was it to educate and nurture that generation? To create a society that instilled a sense of purpose and strength within them? Surely the failure is ours?

Woanz - 6/11/2017 09:49

Not wanting to defend the sheep (obviously) & without knowing the full circumstances at all.

Man City, Villa, Madrid now Derby and wanting another move? Two clubs I suppose is understandable, three I can see how it could happen but when you're wanting to move to a 5th maybe the problem isn't just academies & you need to look a little closer to home?

That is my opinion as again obviously the full facts aren't there.

That was my.take tbf

ZedRed - 6/11/2017 10:48

<end of rant>

I'm fairly certain that today's group of 18-25 year olds will be the ones to turn the light out on human life on the planet.

They are probably the most intelligent generation that's ever lived, but the vast majority haven't really got any fight in them or the attention span to ever achieve anything meaningful in their lives.

and whose fault is that?

Could it possibly be the endless fookeries perpetrated on young people by hypocritical and downright exploitative older people?

Young people today are all good little consumers who know their place. That is our fault and the numpties that went before us.

baby boomers are the most feckless and greedy in history, ever. The razzler generation have done fook all. remains to be seen if children of the 1970s will do owt.

radfordinlondon - 6/11/2017 18:14

<end of rant>

and whose fault is that?

Could it possibly be the endless fookeries perpetrated on young people by hypocritical and downright exploitative older people?

Young people today are all good little consumers who know their place. That is our fault and the numpties that went before us.

baby boomers are the most feckless and greedy in history, ever. The razzler generation have done fook all. remains to be seen if children of the 1970s will do owt.

Ouch!.. a few good points though.

<end of rant>

"They are probably the most intelligent generation that's ever lived,"

Its nice to see that you do have a sense of humour!

And as for the 18- 25s being the ones to turn the lights out on human life; only if there is a grown up around to show them how to operate the switch.

mao tse tung - 6/11/2017 19:19

<end of rant>

"They are probably the most intelligent generation that's ever lived,"

Its nice to see that you do have a sense of humour!

And as for the 18- 25s being the ones to turn the lights out on human life; only if there is a grown up around to show them how to operate the switch.

spoken like a true old.person- no doubt they would have to pay an admin fee to register for switch training, for which they pay fees at double the rate of inflation, only to find some old **** still in the job!

Let's hope they all enjoy care work #aging population