Andy Woodman | Vital Football

Andy Woodman

nibbles

Vital Football Hero
Bromley have given us permission to speak to Woodman. Would imagine we’ll announce him in the next 24 hours.

Bromley have given us permission to speak to Woodman. Would imagine we’ll announce him in the next 24 hours.

Hilarious! That was from January last year.

Pffff, that has come out of left field and if it turns out to be true, I will be seriously disappointed. Clearly we were all hoping that someone with a CV which would light up our eyes in amazement would be introduced but nothing Mr Goodman has done in the past says he is one capable of waking the sleeping giant. Managed at Whitehawk and Bromley (fair's fair - he did win the FA Trophy there) and further nothing of note. He will have to have one hell of a personality if he is to inspire the players already and the club

I really hope that it is basically all a bit of fake news and that someone else is actually getting lined up. If not, then we will just have to like it and hope that he doesn't fill the club, like Mark Stimson with non-league players because if he does, I see the sleeping giant falling into a coma.

Crazy!

Last edited:

Oooo Nibs, you fucking scamp.

Love it! 👍

In this particular instance, I am more than happy to accept the accolade :rofl:

Nowt wrong with being whooshed AFLP, I was too 😁

But what makes you think if we employ a current non-league coach, that he’ll fill up our squad with non-league players like Stimson did?

Regardless the fact that Stimson did it (AND got us promoted) I can’t see any future coach wanting to replace players like Malone, Ogei, Masterson, Lapslie, Dieng, Bonne, Mahoney, McKenzie etc with non-leaguers.

Besides, the recently ex-non leaguers currently in our squad (Coleman, Clarke) are among the best.

That big lad up front for Southend looks decent. Although doubt we’ll prise him away now they have new owners.

I’d actually welcome one or two of the previously rumoured coaches out of the NL.

Am I imagining things or did Darcy not just post on here…he deleted his posts?
Something about his good run on football manager meaning he’d be the perfect assistant to….

Last edited:
Nowt wrong with being whooshed AFLP, I was too 😁

But what makes you think if we employ a current non-league coach, that he’ll fill up our squad with non-league players like Stimson did?

Regardless the fact that Stimson did it (AND got us promoted) I can’t see any future coach wanting to replace players like Malone, Ogei, Masterson, Lapslie, Dieng, Bonne, Mahoney, McKenzie etc with non-leaguers.

Besides, the recently ex-non leaguers currently in our squad (Coleman, Clarke) are among the best.

That big lad up front for Southend looks decent. Although doubt we’ll prise him away now they have new owners.

I’d actually welcome one or two of the previously rumoured coaches out of the NL.
My reasoning there was/is simply that most of the players have been plying their business in teams at a (far) higher level than the National League. I am not decrying the level of football or teams that the National league is producing, however I am thinking it might be awfa' difficult for manager who has no experience managing players/teams at league level to a) to win over the players in the dressingroom and/or inspire the players to believe in him/trust in his decisions.

Ofcourse, I know nothing more about Woodman than what I have read on Wiki and he may have a strong personality which inspires all of the deciples working under him but..... somehow I am not convinced. Also, as Rokerite said, taking three weeks to interview 20 applicants and then decide on taking on someone with his background seems counter intuitive and a complete waste of time - not a step forward, which is what everyone connected to the club craves.

Addendum: The only NL manager who might fit in here is Kevin Maher however, even though the has history with us, his connection to Southend goes very deep and I would imagine he would need a lot of persuading to leave them to come to us.

Last edited:
My reasoning there was/is simply that most of the players have been plying their business in teams at a (far) higher level than the National League. I am not decrying the level of football or teams that the National league is producing, however I am thinking it might be awfa' difficult for manager who has no experience managing players/teams at league level to a) to win over the players in the dressingroom and/or inspire the players to believe in him/trust in his decisions.

Ofcourse, I know nothing more about Woodman than what I have read on Wiki and he may have a strong personality which inspires all of the deciples working under him but..... somehow I am not convinced. Also, as Rokerite said, taking three weeks to interview 20 applicants and then decide on taking on someone with his background seems counter intuitive and a complete waste of time - not a step forward, which is what everyone connected to the club craves.

Addendum: The only NL manager who might fit in here is Kevin Maher however, even though the has history with us, his connection to Southend goes very deep and I would imagine he would need a lot of persuading to leave them to come to us.

Good points about a manager with the gravitas, standing and clout to get the players respect. Although if we go down the “head coach” route, none of them will be “big” names or experienced in the top job.

But another manager out of NL that would be good is Paul Cook. He’s got the experience and EFL record behind him. But I can’t see him leaving Chesterfield either.

So Kevin Maher would fit in, managed for 106 games with a win % of 43 and Southend sitting14. But Andy Woodman has managed 152 games with a win % of 44% sitting 3rd, made the play-offs last year, coached at (ok as goalkeeper coach) Newcastle, Palace, West Ham and Arsenal working with Alan Pardew and Arsene Wenger would struggle to motivate.

So Kevin Maher would fit in, managed for 106 games with a win % of 43 and Southend sitting14. But Andy Woodman has managed 152 games with a win % of 44% sitting 3rd, made the play-offs last year, coached at (ok as goalkeeper coach) Newcastle, Palace, West Ham and Arsenal working with Alan Pardew and Arsene Wenger would struggle to motivate.
I think, if you read back carefully, I actually said "might fit in", not that I was hoping those wealding the power would actually offer him the job. Big difference in my opinion and just to make my position in this clear, personally, I would be utterly mortified if the Galinsons went anywhere near someone from the NL. I think that would completely shatter the image they are biuilding creating at GFC of a club looking upwards and not over the shoulder.