Andy Woodman | Page 2 | Vital Football

Andy Woodman

I don’t want either as manager, was hoping for someone with some experience of managing at our level or higher. You did say a NL manager might struggle to motivate the team then stated a less experienced NL manager might fit in, just seemed odd that's all.

I don’t want either as manager, was hoping for someone with some experience of managing at our level or higher. You did say a NL manager might struggle to motivate the team then stated a less experienced NL manager might fit in, just seemed odd that's all.
Only said that about Maher because of his history and playing presence here as a player - no nonsence, just get the job done. I hope he does well for Southend, but that is as far as my thoughts towards him as a manager/coach go.

I think, if you read back carefully, I actually said "might fit in", not that I was hoping those wealding the power would actually offer him the job. Big difference in my opinion and just to make my position in this clear, personally, I would be utterly mortified if the Galinsons went anywhere near someone from the NL. I think that would completely shatter the image they are biuilding creating at GFC of a club looking upwards and not over the shoulder.
Think that's a bit OTT personally and sounds pretty condescending of the NL. Employing someone creative and interesting from a lower level would be exactly an example of a club looking at building upwards rather than trying to pick up someone tumbling down the leagues. That's how you end up with people like Mark Hughes managing in this division with naff-all knowledge of it and no real hunger to do well in it.

Think that's a bit OTT personally and sounds pretty condescending of the NL. Employing someone creative and interesting from a lower level would be exactly an example of a club looking at building upwards rather than trying to pick up someone tumbling down the leagues. That's how you end up with people like Mark Hughes managing in this division with naff-all knowledge of it and no real hunger to do well in it.
I don't remember saying anything condescending about the NL perse, just that I thought it was not a route we should be taking. Chesterfield and York are playing at League 2 level because they had the clout to buy League 2 players. I, for one, would take Will Grigg in a heartbeat for our forward line. Also, I think I can safely say that I haven't been blisteringly unfair in my comments about Woodman or Kevin Maher however, it would really surprise, and disappoint me if the Galinsons were to call a press conference and announce the addition of someone from the NL as first team coach/manager.

Oh, and for the record, I would be just as vehement in my opposition for Steve Bruce (who has achieved a lot as a top manager) or Mark Hughes who appears to be on his way down or a Frank Lampard, who was a wonderful player but, apart from Derby, has not lived up to expectation. I personally had a wee hope that Brian McDermott might fit the bill but there are others who might be willing to drop a league or two. Scott Parker, John Eustace, Gary Rowett might get considered but whoever does take the job will have to be within the clubs budget and I doubt sincerely if any of the above names would accept a probable drop in wages just to manage a club again.

Footnote: In my estimation, it doesn't matter who comes in because if we do not resolve the striker situation, we will be yo-yoing up and down in the league because of the results. We all want the team to succeed, we would all like to see us promoted however, at the moment, not all the elements are in place to achieve that goal. Maybe after the January window, they will be.

Last edited:
Mark Stimson was a good, almost great coach, unfortunately he was also a crap man-manager which ultimately lead to his demise and has probably resulted in his never getting back into the EFL.
Stimson didn't feel the need to pretend that he needed to spend time placating fans ( you know the numpties we all criticise ) . Scally pleaded with him to make an effort but he saw his job as football manager first and last. That's what really did for him.

Stimson didn't feel the need to pretend that he needed to spend time placating fans ( you know the numpties we all criticise ) . Scally pleaded with him to make an effort but he saw his job as football manager first and last. That's what really did for him.
Him criticising the fans for voting King player of the year ahead of Jackson (just because he was top scorer) still grates me. But I agree with AFLP that he was a decent coach.

Him criticising the fans for voting King player of the year ahead of Jackson (just because he was top scorer) still grates me. But I agree with AFLP that he was a decent coach.
Was this an actual thing as I have no recollection of that. Wouldn’t massively surprise me the way Stimson was (I think he regularly said he would rather win 4-3 than 1-0) but from memory he was always complimentary about King.

For me, the one who connected best with the fans was Martin Allen. Especially that first season, he was great. And his press conferences were excellent, the way he spoke about his players and fans was always with pride and passion (and jest). Obviously he only took us so far as League One had way too much quality for his style, and he wasn’t without criticism (I recall some very poor, very negative home defeats in the promotion season), but he gave so many good days out and memories that I’ll always look back favourably on him.

Was this an actual thing as I have no recollection of that. Wouldn’t massively surprise me the way Stimson was (I think he regularly said he would rather win 4-3 than 1-0) but from memory he was always complimentary about King.

For me, the one who connected best with the fans was Martin Allen. Especially that first season, he was great. And his press conferences were excellent, the way he spoke about his players and fans was always with pride and passion (and jest). Obviously he only took us so far as League One had way too much quality for his style, and he wasn’t without criticism (I recall some very poor, very negative home defeats in the promotion season), but he gave so many good days out and memories that I’ll always look back favourably on him.
I bet it was the dog you liked!

Stimson to me was very unlucky in his last season. Two players he pinned his hopes on were Simon King and Danny Jackman, both got significant injuries and missed all or the majority of that season.

There is no way we would have gone if those two had been fit and imagine given time Gils would had been pushing for the play offs