An Update From Liam Scully | Page 10 | Vital Football

An Update From Liam Scully

...but does that mean that when it did become a connection, years later, that it was wrong? I like to think that the youngsters of today appreciated the efforts of those young airmen and what they did for us back in their day, that those later youths wanted to commemorate them in this way. Personally, I love the Dambusters theme and what it means for Lincolnshire and I thoroughly enjoy hearing it before kick-off at SB; it's a Lincoln thing and we should be proud of that. (It is also the ring tone on my i-phone.)
You’ve got a lot more faith in the “youth of today” than I have! Judging by the recent survey on the Falklands war I wouldn’t like to count on the younger element understanding what this was about

You’ve got a lot more faith in the “youth of today” than I have! Judging by the recent survey on the Falklands war I wouldn’t like to count on the younger element understanding what this was about
Even back in the day loadsa people had no idea where the Falklands were!.

Although not at Sincil Bank that's what we used to do when I was 9 years old - only it wasn't the Dambusters, it was usually being either Douglas Bader or Johnnie Johnson.
I used to do the Mick Channon celebration when I was a kid. Still do occasionally, at 50+, if I back a winner after a full day on the piss at the races😳

Even back in the day loadsa people had no idea where the Falklands were!.

I knew it was off Breedon Drive somewhere but didn't have a clue why we were fighting a war down it.

And then when they said they were launching all those battleships heading for the Falklands I said to my missus they're going to have a job turning them round at the end of the close.

What do we do if the Lancaster does another fly over, wave our arms at it or hold another meeting ? I really think for once, and probably the only time, Liam has got this one wrong. It seems the 'Club' have decided and thats it , but surely the Club to me are the 8,000 supporters who are just being asked to renew their Season Tickets and they are the ones who will waft their arms about or whatever and sing what they want. The next home game will be interesting ! Didn't know the locals to SB were that sensitive !
UTI.

Last edited:
Where did I say it did?The Dambuster theme isn't offensive to the people of Ukraine .Whilst the people of Ukraine are experiencing the horrors of war its respectful to change our narrative regarding the nostalgic attitude of past conflicts and reflect on the current conflict and the suffering that warfare causes .

You said it shows respect, but does it really? It has nothing to do with Ukraine, so can’t see the point in banning it.

If anything it shows disrespect for the other nations in conflict because we didn’t do all this for them.

The siren is the right decision. Given the current situation.

The Dambusters March is less so. From a personal view, I don't have an issue with it being played or not. It's not going to affect my enjoyment (or otherwise) of a matchday if that bit of music is played or not.

Death toll from the Dambusters raid c/o Wikipedia and the RAF Museum website.

53 aircrew

1,600 civilians – about 600 Germans and 1,000 forced labourers

Specifically around the Möhne area - Ukrainian & Dutch labourers and French & Belgian Prisoners of War - dead 593. Missing 156.

Death toll from the Dambusters raid c/o Wikipedia and the RAF Museum website.

53 aircrew

1,600 civilians – about 600 Germans and 1,000 forced labourers

Specifically around the Möhne area - Ukrainian & Dutch labourers and French & Belgian Prisoners of War - dead 593. Missing 156.
Are you sure you have them down as Ukrainians? I’d have thought they’d have been down as Russians?

Are you sure you have them down as Ukrainians? I’d have thought they’d have been down as Russians?

I take your point. I took the information, for the Ukrainians and Dutch, directly from the RAF Museum website, see below. I have undertaken no further research or reading beyond that and, therefore, do not know, specifically, where the data comes from. Having said that, it would have originated, probably, from a German source.

I would assume the Ukrainians labourers would have made it very clear to their captors that they were Ukrainians and not Russians?

I am off to undertake more research.

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/resear...nd-the-dams-raid/casualties-of-the-dams-raid/