An Update From Liam Scully | Page 7 | Vital Football

An Update From Liam Scully

Is it the Streisand effect where you try and stop something and just make more people aware of it/do it? Can imagine we'll hear it in the crowd a few times between now and the end of the season.

Can't say this is my favourite rendition, but an appropriate Lincoln link here with the Lincoln Cathedral organist playing the March

It seems to have generated some Twitter heat, though the decision seems to be a bit, well, left-field to say the least.

I suppose this means that, in solidarity, Everton and Watford are going to stop playing Z Cars till Russia becomes fashionable again.

The siren I could do without under any flimsy pretext

It seems to have generated some Twitter heat, though the decision seems to be a bit, well, left-field to say the least.

I suppose this means that, in solidarity, Everton and Watford are going to stop playing Z Cars till Russia becomes fashionable again.

The siren I could do without under any flimsy pretext

wow a double whammy in one post... wonder how many will get it

I have no connection to the RAF and the Dambuster March means very little to me other than being part of a fine film score. The theme was written by Eric Coates and as far as I can find neither the March or Coates have any connection to the club prior to its current use. To this day I have no idea why it was adopted by the club/fans.

Your post in its entirity is full of passion abd admiration for your fanily members. Be very proud of them .

You have no idea why the fans adopted the theme tune from the Dambusters film about 617 squadron......the most famous RAF squadron in it's history which was formed in Lincolnshire and flew in WW2 from Scampton and Woodhall Spa. You had no idea why it was adopted by the fans! The fans of the league club based in the county's capital.....the county still retaining the nickname "Bomber County".

I can't imagine why Imps fans adopted the Dambusters March really!

The decision not to play the Dambusters seems to me both a complete mis-understanding of why it is played in the first place i.e. to commemorate heroes that flew from this region, as well as an ode to anyone else who lost their lives in the war, and more of a proactive reaction to other clubs' fans/media getting upset because of their own misunderstanding.

I daresay rather than try to educate others and enlighten them as to why this sort of thing (recent addition or not) is something the club links to they have tried to avoid that scenario by not playing it, at which point you have to ask what they will do when the fans now sing it loud and proud? The same question will be asked then as they would if they had not stopped playing it. What will their answer be? To explain the link and meaning? Or "fans eh. Can't control them." They may as well have left it "as is" and explain the link.

Makes me wonder what they will explain if we now hear the full rendition of 10 German Bombers like at Burnley!

Full on Basil Fawlty if you ask me.........and what happened there?

Totally against it. Decisions been made though so this will be my onlyvitals moan about it.

Last edited:
I am sure 617 will have something appropriate ready for the next home game !! Try stopping that lot.

I have the utmost respect for our leadership at LCFC, and I understand that issues need to be handled sensitively, and sometimes decisions have to be made that may polarise opinion.
I accept that a decision has been made not to play the Dambusters March until the end of the season, although I don't necessarily agree with it. I do however want to add my perspective to the debate, as I know Liam reads posts on here, and it can be considered when the review takes place at the end of the season.

I come from an RAF family, I am 55 and served some years ago as did my Dad, my Uncle and both my Grandfathers. We all served at some point on Squadrons based within Lincolnshire.

Myself and my two sons are season ticket holders at Sincil Bank and when I hear the Dambusters March played or sung at Sincil Bank it reinforces the connection we still have with our heritage, and it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

I think it is fitting that it can be heard less than 1000 yards away at the International Bomber Command Centre on Canwick Hill, where the names of almost 58000 members of fallen Bomber Command individuals are inscribed on the Wall of Names. One of which is the name of my Grandfather Eric. He was shot down over the North Sea in a Mosquito from 139, Jamaica Sqn, Wyton, on the way back from a mission to Berlin in July 43. They never recovered the aircraft or his body. My Dad was 3 months old, he never got to know his father.

Eric also has a memorial stone in the Ribbon of Remembrance at the IBCC placed next to another stone in honour of my other Grandfather, Charlie. He survived the war after volunteering for 3 tours as a mid upper gunner on Lancasters, flying out of Skellingthorpe on 50 Squadron. Completing 3 tours was remarkable given that new Lancaster crews had an average 2 week life expectancy and the odds of surviving 2 tours was just 3%. The bravery of these volunteer airmen was incredible.
Although he survived and was the person that took me to my first LCFC game 45 years ago, he suffered both physically and mentally from the scars of war, and its horrors.

The bravery of Bomber Command veterans has only recently been recognised, with initiatives like the IBCC and the Hyde Park memorial. Post war while other units contributions were recognised, Bomber Command wasn’t. They were made to feel a sense of shame and guilt as their contribution to WW11 was brushed under the carpet.

The Dambusters March for me is not just symbolic of the bravery of one Squadron (617), it captures the spirit in recognising the bravery of all in Bomber Command who risked their lives, health and wellbeing in order to stop an agrgressor.
Lincolnshire with its 27 war time stations was Bomber County, and as such it is intrinsically linked with the RAF. For me, and many like me in Bomber County it is important to keep these links and associations alive wherever they exist and not to forget the part our brave men and women played in defeating an aggressor, particularly now as we stand with Ukraine in facing a new aggressor that threatens peace in Europe.

An interesting post Impaired, which reinforces family and RAF connections with Lincolnshire. I am still in touch with a 50 Squadron navigator, now 96 years old, he is encouraged by the increased interest in Bomber Command and has contributed to the memorial in London and the IBCC. Years ago he gave me a chart from a raid, each location pencilled in at six minute intervals. His worst recollection was when the Lanc in front of his blew up while in the queue for take off from Skellingthorpe. Did they go on the raid? ….of course they did.

During and immediately after the war quite a few Ukrainians settled in Lincoln. We had two Ukrainians in our class at Lincoln School.

More generally, I accept the decision by Liam, but don’t necessarily agree with it regarding the Dambusters. Liam is a bright guy, he will have known that banning it would provoke plenty of publicity for LCFC, locally and nationally.

Last edited:
What an interesting post which reinforces family and RAF connections with Lincolnshire. I am still in touch with a 50 Squadron navigator, now 96 years old, he is encouraged by the increased interest in Bomber Command and has contributed to the memorial in London and the IBCC. Years ago he gave me a chart from a raid, each location pencilled in at six minute intervals. His worst recollection was when the Lanc in front of his blew up while in the queue for take off from Skellingthorpe. Did they go on the raid? ….of course they did.

During and immediately after the war quite a few Ukrainians settled in Lincoln. We had two Ukrainians in our class at Lincoln School.

I accept the decision by Liam, but don’t necessarily agree with it regarding the Dambusters. Liam is a bright guy, he will have known that banning it would provoke plenty of publicity for LCFC, locally and nationally.
I like your thinking berks; so now when we bring it back the wider public will be better educated as to our honourable reasons for the Dambusters, and not go off on some ignorant, uninformed rant about 'how dare they'. Not that anybody was in the first case, so far as I aware.

You have no idea why the fans adopted the theme tune from the Dambusters film about 617 squadron......the most famous RAF squadron in it's history which was formed in Lincolnshire and flew in WW2 from Scampton and Woodhall Spa. You had no idea why it was adopted by the fans! The fans of the league club based in the county's capital.....the county still retaining the nickname "Bomber County".

I can't imagine why Imps fans adopted the Dambusters March really!
I know all about the history of the Dambusters and bomber county thank you. The connection between the club and the Dambusters is so great it took around 40 years to adopt. So perhaps you better explain it to me. It sure as hell wasn't there for the first 35 years I supported the club.

I know all about the history of the Dambusters and bomber county thank you. The connection between the club and the Dambusters is so great it took around 40 years to adopt. So perhaps you better explain it to me. It sure as hell wasn't there for the first 35 years I supported the club.

...but does that mean that when it did become a connection, years later, that it was wrong? I like to think that the youngsters of today appreciated the efforts of those young airmen and what they did for us back in their day, that those later youths wanted to commemorate them in this way. Personally, I love the Dambusters theme and what it means for Lincolnshire and I thoroughly enjoy hearing it before kick-off at SB; it's a Lincoln thing and we should be proud of that. (It is also the ring tone on my i-phone.)

My dads going to be 93 very soon , we've been going to the Bank together for 42 years. I told him about the decision to stop playing the Dambusters theme and stop the air raid siren today and he said "oh" looked at me perplexed and said "what air raid siren" :grinning:. I know he's a bit deaf but that's ridiculous, 42yrs and hes never heard it.:lol:.

...but does that mean that when it did become a connection, years later, that it was wrong? I like to think that the youngsters of today appreciated the efforts of those young airmen and what they did for us back in their day, that those later youths wanted to commemorate them in this way. Personally, I love the Dambusters theme and what it means for Lincolnshire and I thoroughly enjoy hearing it before kick-off at SB; it's a Lincoln thing and we should be proud of that. (It is also the ring tone on my i-phone.)

I haven't said anywhere it was wrong. I am however curious how it came about and why it took so long.