An Update From Jez George (Video) | Vital Football

An Update From Jez George (Video)

Talk there about filling the loan spaces. Which would be a u-turn from the ‘less reliance on loans’ summer recruitment. Assume that was Kennedy-driven.

What do we think the other positions are of priority (that aren't forwards)?

I do think if we are going to play a 4 (still unclear) the full back options might be inadequate... but appreciate this up for debate (Sorensen as RB?, all of Burroughs/Roughan/Brown feel a bit weird for LB especially with the latter out of favour)?

Leadership/a big character might be a good signing anywhere across the pitch for us having watched the heads go down a bit lately. Possibly also someone who can play 6 as we've seen with Erhahon out?

I do think if we are going to play a 4 (still unclear) the full back options might be inadequate... but appreciate this up for debate (Sorensen as RB?, all of Burroughs/Roughan/Brown feel a bit weird for LB especially with the latter out of favour)?

Leadership/a big character might be a good signing anywhere across the pitch for us having watched the heads go down a bit lately. Possibly also someone who can play 6 as we've seen with Erhahon out?
Got to be full back/wing back, surely?

Whether we remain 5-2-3, switch to 5-3-2 (more emphasis on them to get forward) or go with 4 at the back (arguably only one semi-proper FB in the squad in Burroughs and even he's quite a versatile FB), I can't see how they're not in our thinking.

Wing backs, who are proper wing backs or a right & left back.

I definitely think a LB is essential. Both Burroughs and Brown have been found wanting against decent wingers. Roughan is not a FB/LWB - he should only be considered for left-sided CB. He is more comfortable there and more disciplined in his defending. Against a decent winger he gets pulled out of position and can be found wanting more often than he should. That would also free Duffy up as a left sided midfielder to provide the ammo for Draper/Moylan.

Talk there about filling the loan spaces. Which would be a u-turn from the ‘less reliance on loans’ summer recruitment. Assume that was Kennedy-driven.

I think our fans put way too much emphasis on terms like 'the model' and '...'u-turn' - it makes it sound (possibly deliberately?) like those in charge keep changing their mind and don't know what they are doing. In reality, a football club, especially in L1, can never be that dogmatic and ideological - instead have some short term and long term objectives but are obviously continually adapting to the circumstances (which are inevitably forever changing - as we are a football club!).

Last edited:
I definitely think a LB is essential. Both Burroughs and Brown have been found wanting against decent wingers. Roughan is not a FB/LWB - he should only be considered for left-sided CB. He is more comfortable there and more disciplined in his defending. Against a decent winger he gets pulled out of position and can be found wanting more often than he should. That would also free Duffy up as a left sided midfielder to provide the ammo for Draper/Moylan.
Interesting to see how we play this position.

Brown didn't really get a chance to be honest and with his pace I hoped we have a proper wing back on our hands. But since both managers don't really fancy playing him there must be a reason.

As for Burroughs I totally agree. Great athlete but so naive in his LB / LWB duties. Caught many times.

I still don't think we'll be bringing anyone just yet since we have also Roughan. He is LCB more than anything but I think we will finish season with him and Burroughs. Personally I would play Shaun.

The American driven theoretical approach hasn’t quite worked. Too many variables to try and control, and nowhere near flexible enough when major injuries occur.

MK must have realised he couldn't work effectively in the model system, but went so quickly and quietly that there must have been a disciplinary problem. The Mandroiu outburst was no laughing matter, but he must have been hugely frustrated weeks beforehand.

The lack of attacking threat been recognised by everyone since Covid, from Clive and Liam at the top, down to the youngest and newest fans. A slight concern for me is that Jez rather than MS provided the update. Who is running the show? We now have to hope MS starts to get ‘his’ team together and that Draper and Moylan will help to provide the required goals. UTI.

The American driven theoretical approach hasn’t quite worked. Too many variables to try and control, and nowhere near flexible enough when major injuries occur.

MK must have realised he couldn't work effectively in the model system, but went so quickly and quietly that there must have been a disciplinary problem. The Mandroiu outburst was no laughing matter, but he must have been hugely frustrated weeks beforehand.

The lack of attacking threat been recognised by everyone since Covid, from Clive and Liam at the top, down to the youngest and newest fans. A slight concern for me is that Jez rather than MS provided the update. Who is running the show? We now have to hope MS starts to get ‘his’ team together and that Draper and Moylan will help to provide the required goals. UTI.
Maybe Jez did the interview as hes the one talking and dealing with Players /Clubs in the background on a daily basis

"The American driven theoretical approach hasn't quite worked" What do you mean by that?

"Jez rather than MS provided the update - Who is running the show?"

Where have you been for the last few years? JG heads up the recruitment TEAM (which includes MS) hence he gives an update on transfers. Zero concern there at all in fact I'd much rather JG do the talking and let MS concentrate on what happens on the pitch.

"The American driven theoretical approach hasn't quite worked" What do you mean by that?
Wasn't a key part of that mostly around using our own players rather than loans. In which case I would say it's paid off, if we had filled our quota of loans at the start of the season we would have a lot less flexibility this windows to fix the issues as we would be reliant on transfers at an expensive time when everyone is under contract.

Wasn't a key part of that mostly around using our own players rather than loans. In which case I would say it's paid off, if we had filled our quota of loans at the start of the season we would have a lot less flexibility this windows to fix the issues as we would be reliant on transfers at an expensive time when everyone is under contract.

It's common sense to have a squad made up of your own players rather than someone else's.

The club are coming under a lot of flack at the moment and having a go at them for the temerity of trying to get a squad full of your own players and who says what at an interview is just silly imo.

Also seeing a few comments from 'experienced' Lincoln people on twitter taking snide pot shots at the 'model' etc. It's probably lucky that I am nowhere near running the club as I couldn't show the restraint that they do. Taking a step back, we're so far removed from where we were just 7 years ago. it's incredible and for supposed fans to revel in taking pot shots at whoever and whatever is frankly absurd. There has also been snobbery towards 'new fans' well if it's supposed 'new fans' who are still getting behind the club who are still in the top half of League One ffs then I'd much rather sit next to them rather than someone who lived the glory days of Murph etc. taking pot shots at Liam, Jez etc.

This is more of a undirected moan rather than at anyone on this thread btw.

I think our fans put way too much emphasis on terms like 'the model' and '...'u-turn' - it makes it sound (possibly deliberately?) like those in charge keep changing their mind and don't know what they are doing. In reality, a football club, especially in L1, can never be that dogmatic and ideological - instead have some short term and long term objectives but are obviously continually adapting to the circumstances (which are inevitably forever changing - as we are a football club!).
And to add to this, Liam said that the 'Model/Method' is a 'Core Principal'. To me that means it's always at the centre of what we do, but the variation comes from how it's supported (as you say "continually adapting to the circumstances"). That means using loans in and out of the club to give players a challenge, getting in more experienced players that don't fit the 'model' to give leadership/mentoring on the pitch; these are the things that will vary season to season, even transfer window to transfer window.
Plus there are other things less variable that support the core, like the EPC and the investment into the pitch, and the backroom staff. And there is probably a lot more I've missed, or that we don't see in the background.

Purely for financial reasons after the heavy investment last summer, I think January will be about incoming loans rather than paying a fee for players.

A left wing back and a wide player being a priority, plus maybe a holding midfielder.

Any major changes will be left until the summer when several players are out of contract and will leave (Haks and Bishop for example).

I'm guessing that the coach and the recruitment team have sat round the table.

The coach has set out his objectives in how he wants the team to play and the type of players he needs to do that and where his immediate priorities lies in terms of positions he wants to strengthen.

As you say the forward positions would have been high on the list but that was an area we already had players who were already signed but couldn't play or returning from loans or returning from injury so that is an area that is not going to require any outlay and I would suspect any other forward players we bring in would be loans, considering there are still two more forwards to come back from injury.

I would like us to go to a back 4 but realise that this may not be possible in terms of the players we already have at the club and the considerable investment it would require, unless we could fill those roles with loan players but I think that could be difficult and we may have to wait until the summer when there will be a much bigger pool and better quality of player available.

I think we have some good midfield players at the club but some need to keep fit and some need to have learnt a couple of harsh lessons but also need to be used in a way that much better suits their skill set, which I think a different formation and a more positive and forward thinking approach would do.

Not expecting a massive change in personel or maybe the formation apart from up front next Saturday but will be expecting a completely different way in which we approach the game tactically and would expect (hope) to see a much more positive, front foot, attacking element to our game with the more substantial changes in personel and investment coming in the summer.