All time top 11 - goalkeepers & defence | Page 6 | Vital Football

All time top 11 - goalkeepers & defence

Saying that Schmeichel was our best keeper is like saying Pires was our best winger.

He probably was, that's what I'm getting at, for instance, do people think Villa with says Paul Merson or do they think ex-Arsenal? By people I mean the general football world
They might be legends but are they really our legends?

Brian Little is a Villa Legend so is Sid and Morty

Freidel was way past his sell-by too mate, we have had some great players at the end of their careers but they can't be Villa legends

I'm not sure I'd agree that Big Brad was past his sell by date for us. He played 3 seasons for us and had quite a few games where he won us the points.

My father (73) suggests that Nigel Simms is by far and away the best (Villa) GK in his lifetime, Stan Lynn was better than JG, God and someone he can’t remember the name of that played DC in the 60’s who we might have been signed from WBA, and Gerry Hitchens are the standouts in their positions

The player your father is thinking of is my all time favourite c/half Jimmy Dugdale,

Last edited by a moderator:
This is possibly the toughest position to choose from. McGrath, Laursen and Evans are probably my favourites. McNaught, Nielsen and Mellberg not far behind them.

This is possibly the toughest position to choose from. McGrath, Laursen and Evans are probably my favourites. McNaught, Nielsen and Mellberg not far behind them.
Jimmy Dugdale, John Sleuuwenhoek(?), George Curtis, Chris Nicholl,Alan Evans, Ken Mcnaught, Ollie,Laursen,Ugo.

Southgate and Ehiogu would both be far higher up in the recokoning had it not been for how they left.

No doubt they were quality centre backs.

Jimmy Dugdale, John Sleuuwenhoek(?), George Curtis, Chris Nicholl,Alan Evans, Ken Mcnaught, Ollie,Laursen,Ugo.

Way before my time some of those. Not sure I could put someone in my all time team unless I'd seen them play. We could end up with half the Villa team from the 1890's if we did

Staunton, Wright, Bouma the best left backs I've seen. Delaney probably the best on the right overall.

RB no contest, John Gidman, one of the first attacking full backs, Shankly admitted it was a mistake to let him go!!! Kenny Swain was a close 2nd.

LB - Gibbo, Staunton, Dorigo, Robson, Wright.

God & Laursen. As said elsewhere, McNaught & Evans were superb, though, more as a partnership.
Nicholl
Kent Nielsen
Mountfield (Incredible amount of goals too)
Paul Elliott

I saw Leighton as a defensive midfielder rather than a centre back personally.
Centre backs that I’ve seen for consideration:
Chris Nicholl
Ian Ross
Paul McGrath
Olof Melberg
Ugo
Southgate

Laursen was a great, much loved, but an all time great? Hell of a lot of injuries, one season he only played a couple because of his knee didn't he?