Stan Lynn.
John Gidman.
Charlie Aitken.
Mark Delaney.
Bobby McDonald.
Wilf Bouma.
Stan Staunton.
Colin Gibson.
We had a Portugese rightback Nelson who was pretty good.
Seeing Stan Lynn at the top of your list reminds of a rumour doing the rounds at the time that a young Tommy Smith (of Liverpool fame ) tried a nono on him after the ball had gone and he whispered in his ear that if he tried that again he would be eating hospital food for the next few weeks.

Bozzy on ability.
Budgie for entertainment
Sims. because as a young fan I admired his dedication every pre season training wearing a plastic bag to sweat off his excess weight just to reduce his body to about 16 stones. still on of our best.
Dont know if Simms was the best but out of all of them he is my faverouite. I also liked Colin Withers.

The players of 81 and 82 are legends. End of. That discussion is over

I'm going to base mine in who I have seen play and can appreciate with a grown up view . I vividly remember 82 but as a 7 year old they were all brilliant!.

Goalkeeper.

Bozzie

Agreed that the 82 team are all legends, but a handful were the best players we ever had (in my 51 years) in their respective positions too.

The reason I wouldn't pick Bozzie as the best was down to his sometimes appalling kicking/distribution. Rimmer started so many of our attacks with quick throws out to Swain, Gibson/Williams - as well as being a superb shot-stopper, lightning quick off his line, and total domination of his area despite being relatively small (about 5'11" if memory serves).

Peter Schmeichel is obviously our best keeper,

Just an example, I think best-ever all-time, there really should be at least 150 or 200 games or something. Legends don't play just 50 games do they unless they are busby babes of course

otherwise, we'll be getting John Terry Luc Nillis and Ginola etc I know thats an exaggeration but some of the suggestions are players who were only around for a season or two.
There should be some sort of criteria?
Also, How do we judge players we've never seen play either like Pongo who is allegedly the best ever striker?

My father (73) suggests that Nigel Simms is by far and away the best (Villa) GK in his lifetime, Stan Lynn was better than JG, God and someone he can’t remember the name of that played DC in the 60’s who we might have been signed from WBA, and Gerry Hitchens are the standouts in their positions

I thought he was alright for us, but nothing special (unless my memory is playing tricks). I thought Friedel was much better for us than Schmeichel, but obviously he was world class for United and up there with the greatest ever. It depends whether we are basing this on performances for Villa or performances for anyone but I’ve assumed the former.

For me, being a relatively young pup in my thirties compared to some of you grandads, the best I’ve seen is Bossie who was also an absolute character. I’ve just read an article he he was arrested outside legs 11 a few hours before his wedding ?

Although his character also had a pretty dark side too, although welcomed in the Labour Party.

Last edited:
Bozzie for me, outstanding shot stopper who had a great ability to save penalties. Spinky was brilliant on his day as well, just dont think he was quite at the same level as Bozzies best.

Just an example, I think best-ever all-time, there really should be at least 150 or 200 games or something. Legends don't play just 50 games do they unless they are busby babes of course

otherwise, we'll be getting John Terry Luc Nillis and Ginola etc I know thats an exaggeration but some of the suggestions are players who were only around for a season or two.
There should be some sort of criteria?
Also, How do we judge players we've never seen play either like Pongo who is allegedly the best ever striker?

I voted on players I've seen playing for us. Pongo never got that honour.

Schmeichel was well past his best by the time he got to VP.

I went for Bozzie but Big Brad was ace too.

I voted on players I've seen playing for us. Pongo never got that honour.

Schmeichel was well past his best by the time he got to VP.

I went for Bozzie but Big Brad was ace too.

Freidel was way past his sell-by too mate, we have had some great players at the end of their careers but they can't be Villa legends