Alexander Gone | Page 2 | Vital Football

Alexander Gone

he's not going to take a pay off without a deal lined up elsewhere.
If he wasn't being included in the 22 man outfield squad allowed.in league two it might well be in his interest to agree a deal . Given it will be fairly easy to get a decent percentage of his income at non league level I would think a compromise might be easily reached.
It might be more difficult for someone like Shaun Williams for example to move on on the same basis.Failing to find a club immediately would be very negative to any future in the game.

As others have said the new man offers an upgrade for the way we want to play.

A couple of random thoughts: for 4th tier FB he had exceptionally good first touch, rarely embarrassed receiving a long cross field ball off the ground. He could strike a ball well.

Good luck, he'll find takers

IMO Cheye had one awful game where he was at least partially responsible for conceding two penalties - the Newport game at the end of October just before SC was appointed.

Ogie has been responsible for the concession of a goal in each of our last 2 games.

Both are good defenders but several years apart in experience so more allowances would be made for Ogie.

All the stats say that defence is not our problem. Until recently - when Alexander was left out - Turner had the joint most clean sheets in the division. What does that tell you?

The switch to a back three and the need for the best attacking wing back option available, which is Hutton, is clearly the most logical reason for the change.

he's not going to take a pay off without a deal lined up elsewhere.

Possibly. But if he’s got a deal already lined up why would we agree to release him beforehand? Why not simply sign for the new club like every other deal in the window. Unless he’s not being truthful with the club which he doesn’t have to be I suppose.

I think it’s more likely he hasn’t yet got a deal, and this allows him time to sign for any club before or after the window closes.

Be interesting to see what happens. I think he’ll definitely get a club. Either L2 or maybe a decent NL side.

Good luck Cheye.

But if he’s got a deal already lined up why would we agree to release him beforehand? Why not simply sign for the new club like every other deal in the window?
Perhaps he’s not being truthful with the club which he doesn’t have to be (one might suppose).

I would have thought it will be one or the other - a pay off OR a deal already agreed elsewhere.

It will interesting who will take over as penalty taker. I think only he and Nichols have taken them in recent times and Tom is rarely a starter these days.

Perhaps Bonne?
Imagine getting a penalty

Imagine getting a penalty
It's easy if you try
Chance to score a goal
Will it we put it wide or high?
Who would even take it
Now we dont have Cheye?

Imagine we're prolific
It's easy if you try
Creating loads of chances
And finishing them off too
Imagine all those goals
For the team in blue

You may say i'm a dreamer
But i'm not the only one
I hope one day we sign a striker
And the Gills will score for fun

Last edited:
It's easy if you try
Chance to score a goal
Will it we put it wide or high?
Who would even take it
Now we dont have Cheye?

Imagine we're prolific
It's easy if you try
Creating loads of chances
And finishing them off too
Imagine all those goals
For the team in blue

You may say i'm a dreamer
But i'm not the only one
I hope we soon sign a striker
And the Gills will score for fun

It’s easy Bud. All we need is my namesake managing a side including the likes of Big Cas and Shakey Shearer, being fed by the likes of TC, Robbo and Davey Smith on the wings with midfielders like Dave Mehmet and Dean White providing the guile and steel.

Sorted 👍

Oh for a side like that again.

It’s easy Bud. All we need is my namesake managing a side including the likes of Big Cas and Shakey Shearer, being fed by the likes of TC, Robbo and Davey Smith on the wings with midfielders like Dave Mehmet and Dean White providing the guile and steel.

Sorted 👍

Oh for a side like that again.
What a team! What a manager!

When are we getting the statue?