Alex Palmer | Page 4 | Vital Football

Alex Palmer

Felgate probably my favourite, saw him save two penalties at Oxford (sound familiar? Perhaps a clue for a loan keeper next year if we need one) but didn’t have to play the modern game so his distribution skills untested. And from what I remember he wasn’t great at crosses, playing behind Peake & Thommo helps of course. For some reason sticks in my mind we played Crewe and he was caught out in some way for their goal and I was getting Tony Waddington’s autograph afterwards and he said we knew David’s strengths & weaknesses (he had been on loan at Crewe) so they tried to exploit them.

I think you mean 1983.

I mentioned Mitchell Downie because he spent five years with us playing in the Second Division so I assumed he must have been some good!

For me, Grotier was the best shot stopper, Kennedy the best at dealing with crosses, and Felgate good at both. All three were good at saving penalties, with Grotier probably the best.

All

I think 1994 is correct, I remember it too.

For us, Andy Leaning's performance away at Palace a year or so later was just as good.

I did like Barry Richardson. Decent keeper. Also thought Rob Burch was pretty decent between the sticks. In more recent times, Ryan Allsop.

Who was the really good keeper surname beginning with G with the booze problem. Maybe during Alan Clarke era? Ahem.

Marriott, Burch and Palmer are the ones that stick out for me.

Marriott was a good shot stopper and had great distribution but wasn't one who came for crosses (albeit KA always said he was happy for Mazza to let Futcher/McCombe/McAuley etc deal with them kinda balls, much in the way DC let Waterfall and Raggett deal with them for Farman). If Mazza was a little taller he'd have gone to a higher level.

Burch was a good shot stopper and came for crosses but I thought he was poor with his distribution. He always seemed to be panicky with the ball at his feet.

Palmer seems to be the best all around 'keeper I've seen at the Club. The only thing you would say, and it isn't a bad thing, it that he's not be tested *that* much this season although his double save against Oxford shows you how good he is.

A mention for Gilks was a very solid, commanding 'keeper but also had an excellent defence in front of him and wasn't called into action that much. Allsopp didn't let us down either that I recall but I don't think we saw enough of either of them.

For me Grotier still our best, took no crap, powerful in the box, great shot and penalty saver. Although at Barnsley the latter got me and a few friends a bit of a kicking. Palmer is right up there with Felgate though.

More recently, I think Ryan Allsop and Rob Burch have been the best. Marriot and Farman were popular characters but not technically good at commanding their areas.

I'm guessing you mean Andy Gorton? That was in the 2nd Murphy spell.

Gorton had more than just problems with the booze....He was a precursor to Matthew Ghent, another with an ‘Interesting’ life after leaving Imps.

Reading through this thread is a really interesting reminder of some great characters and keepers who have donned the keepers journey for The Imps over the years.

Gorton had more than just problems with the booze....He was a precursor to Matthew Ghent, another with an ‘Interesting’ life after leaving Imps.

His reputation for mindless violence preceded him. Murphy froze Gorton out but he should have known, I'm pretty sure he'd already had him at Stockport.

I was at a "do" around 1990 for North West football club officials in Manchester. One of those where it's obligatory for clubs to send delegates to.

I was sitting opposite those from Glossop who had just bought Gorton from City. One of them asked the bloke next to me, who I didn't know, what he thought of Glossop's big-spending policy and in particular their high-profile new keeper.

"Gorton's a tosser" the bloke said "an absolute disgrace and I'm surprised you've had the nerve to sign such a low-life"

"Do you think so?" said the Glossop man. "I'm Andy Gorton"

In the words of News of the World reporters over the years, the other fellow quickly made his excuses and left.

After that I had a fairly long chat with him and he was interesting, probably because he was sober. He clearly loathed Murphy for making him train with the kids.

Gorton was subsequently given another chance by Joe Royle at Oldham but before he'd even made an appearance was arrrested blind drunk and in possession of a knife, so that was the end of that.

Nigel 'Bruno' Batch was great. Quite short I seem to remember but agile. Loved playing to the crowd as well.

A couple of names I remember, but not sure anyone's mentioned: Dave Tenant, Pete Wakeham and also Colin Trehearne.

A couple of names I remember, but not sure anyone's mentioned: Dave Tennant, Pete Wakeham and also Colin Treharne.

All names from the dark days of the 1960s. Wakeham was the first goalkeeper I ever saw save a penalty, but like Treharne didn't last more than one season. Dave Tennant wasn't bad but couldn't displace a fit John Kennedy from the first team.

For me Grotier still our best, took no crap, powerful in the box, great shot and penalty saver. Although at Barnsley the latter got me and a few friends a bit of a kicking. Palmer is right up there with Felgate though.

More recently, I think Ryan Allsop and Rob Burch have been the best. Marriot and Farman were popular characters but not technically good at commanding their areas.

Agree about Marriot and Farman.

We’ve had some decent loan keepers.
Eric McManus always sticks in my memory as being outstanding.
Chris Day was pretty good and had a good career after as well.
Has anyone mentioned Lee Butler? Golden era for keepers as I recall