Alex Palmer | Vital Football

Alex Palmer

He's really rather good. I've counted - literally - just two errors this season. Neither led to a goal.

He inspires absolute confidence. Certainly our best in the 21st century.

I've still got Dave Felgate in my all time City XI with Alex currently on the bench. If he decides he rather likes it here are makes a permanent move in the summer though, every chance that will swap over

I've always had Felgate as my all-time favourite based on childhood memories, but the remit for the job of goalie has changed so much , there is much more to the position - they have to be ballplayers now as well.
Palmer is such a commanding presence and calm decision maker. Then there is his control and passing with his feet , which is key to how we play.

I've always had Felgate as my all-time favourite based on childhood memories, but the remit for the job of goalie has changed so much , there is much more to the position - they have to be ballplayers now as well.
Palmer is such a commanding presence and calm decision maker. Then there is his control and passing with his feet , which is key to how we play.
If my memory is not playing tricks did Felgate join us on loan initially as well?

I believe he is the best I have seen in 60 years of watching. Until now I had always said Peter Grotier was the best we have had some good keepers down the years.
Kennedy, Felgate, Richardson, Naylor, Vaughan, Pollitt, Butler, I am sure I have missed some but not a bad list for a lower league side to have had.
Yeah, it feels like one position we have done well in over the years . I'd even include that nutcase Nigel Batch in the illustrious list.

To a great extent, the quality (or otherwise) of a player has to be placed in the context of the level at which they are playing.

So Palmer needs to be judged against other keepers at 3rd tier/L1 level. In my memory that's Grotier and Felgate. Always scope for exceptional keepers at lower levels but those two are the benchmark.

As has been pointed out, demands on keepers are very different today, I'm not sure Grotier or Felgate's distribution skills were ever as significant as Palmer's!

And that's where Alex is starting to move ahead. Hes a brilliant shot stopper, a calm and commanding presence behind the back 4 with a wonderfully insouciant way of dealing with the routine stuff. But it's his vision and accurate distribution, by throws and kicks, which is such a fundamental part of our attacking game which is starting to take him into that 'best ever' category.

Ask the question again at the end of season, which is the minimum time frame to judge this.

I've still got Dave Felgate in my all time City XI with Alex currently on the bench. If he decides he rather likes it here are makes a permanent move in the summer though, every chance that will swap over

He really couldn't find a better club than us anyway. So bound to stay 🤗