Akinde Set To Sign For Gillingham? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Akinde Set To Sign For Gillingham?

I have mixed feelings about Akinde going. More often than not he scuppers great chances in front of goal, then he pulls off a brace against Bolton where he looked like a different player. Seems he was already gone at that match, maybe he needed that freedom? I got tired of hearing that he was lacking confidence etc.
I’ll watch his career at Gillingham with great interest and hope he starts putting a few away - not against us! I wish him well and hope Hopper is a better replacement... UTI ⚽

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating as they say if he scores a shed load of goals from open play on a regular basis for Gillingham we know that Danny and Nicky along with MA couldn't get the best out of him and that Evan's can! If that is the case those who doubted will be put well and truly in their place!

Only time will tell!

Just doesn’t seem to have the same impact starting games as he does coming off the bench and also a victim of playing one up front where John is suited in a two.
Goes me my best wishes even though a scapegoat he still has a decent return goals to games ratio.

I wasn’t one of his critics but shared the frustration when his first touch went 5 yards or mis-kicked one of those chances in front of goal, I think that was the frustration. But I think the move up north has been a strain for him so for his sake hope it goes well (not too well as don’t want Evans to be successful)

Good luck big John
What a waste imho, never played to his strengths and I get the feeling he never really settled here.
Some of the criticism he received was border line racism, maybe not at the games but I overheard some pretty disgusting stuff in the pubs post match and compared to some of the dross we've had upfront totally unjustified.
It all seemed to stem from the Crawley home game back in September 2018, overpaid penalty taker were the kinder comments I heard and it stuck from there on in with some fans.
Thought he scored 9 penalties last season out of 17 goals last season?
Only 2 penalties out of 8 goals this season I think?

Akinde's scoring record:

2018-19: 17 including 9 penalties (9 scored from 10 taken)
2019-20: 8 including 1 penalty (1 scored from 2 taken)

Total: 25 including 10 penalties (10 scored from 12 taken)

Just doesn’t seem to have the same impact starting games as he does coming off the bench and also a victim of playing one up front where John is suited in a two.
Goes me my best wishes even though a scapegoat he still has a decent return goals to games ratio.

Certainly did much better whenever part of 2 up front. In first season, he had some excellent games when Rheady was on the pitch with him.
On his own, he did seem to struggle.
Touch let him down frequently.

Overall he did ok for us but probably quite a bit short of what he could have done or what many of us hoped for.

He has a record of failure at several clubs but we were one of his better ones.
Hopefully Gillingham won't be.

Akinde's scoring record:

2018-19: 17 including 9 penalties (9 scored from 10 taken)
2019-20: 8 including 1 penalty (1 scored from 2 taken)

Total: 25 including 10 penalties (10 scored from 12 taken)
Thought he got 2 this season? Opening day v Accrington and Rotherham in the mickey mouse trophy?

Scored some clutch penalties last season and I always stood up for him in the face of criticism, but this is for the best. He isn't League One standard in my opinion and this will free up a significant chunk of budget that can be better spent elsewhere.

All the best John. Keep on hating Grimsby.

Played a key role last year but he is not a Div 1 player - and as far as holding the ball up up front and bringing others in to play - he can trap the ball farther than I can kick it - hope he does well at The Gills apart from when we play them.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating as they say if he scores a shed load of goals from open play on a regular basis for Gillingham we know that Danny and Nicky along with MA couldn't get the best out of him and that Evan's can! If that is the case those who doubted will be put well and truly in their place!

Only time will tell!

The proof of the pudding was we won the league! He was playing on his own up frount for the top of the table team so he obviously wasn't going to get much space....i don't think that was the plan.

In some ways, scoring goals for a lower placed team is easier...but it's pointless if you lose at the end of the game!

Played a key role last year but he is not a Div 1 player - and as far as holding the ball up up front and bringing others in to play - he can trap the ball farther than I can kick it - hope he does well at The Gills apart from when we play them.
Agree with the first part of the post.Disagree he is not a Div 1 player and of course the amusing trapping of the ball comment was originally directed at Carlton Palmer . I also wish him well .

He's nowhere near the worst striker in.the division, bit i'd bet he's one of the highest paid subs in the bottom half and that's the main reason i think it's right to move him on.