A-Z Of Weather | Vital Football

A-Z Of Weather

D Dense fog - old fashioned London "pea soupers" are not as common these days. I once went to see England v Bulgaria at Wembley (late 70's) and the game was called off a couple of hours before kick off due to fog. We were still in the Wembley area having a pint (before heading back) at the scheduled kick off time ... and the weather was perfectly clear by then !

Last edited:
H Hurricane - a fair bit windier than that !
Also nickname of Alex Higgins (World snooker champion), Reuben Carter (American boxer who Bob Dylan wrote a song about) and Norman Smith (producer of early Pink Floyd albums / occasional novelty-hit vocalist)

Last edited:
I Ice - not good on roads or pavements - anyone remember a game a few years ago at Shrewsbury (sure it was Shrewsbury) when some of our fans had got there early and helped clear the pitch off snow but nobody had thought about clearing the way in for the fans and we skated to the ground, my friend on crutches! on ice.

Last edited:
J Jet Stream - high level westerly airflow that has an important effect on the movement of weather fronts heading towards Britain. It's sort of the atmospheric equivalent of the Gulf Stream

Last edited:
Zero degrees Kelvin is about minus 273 degrees Celsius.... and nothing ANYWHERE in the Universe can get colder than that!
Brrr...
A degree in Kelvin is the same temperature interval as a degree in Celsius. More convenient to use the Kelvin scale in thermodynamic calculations, rather than Celsius or Fahrenheit... if you like doing that kind of thing .
________________________________________________________________________________________

L Lightning - Electrostatic discharge caused by charge differences between clouds and the earth, within clouds themselves, or clouds to air. (Quite complex processes!)

Last edited:
Zero degrees Kelvin is about minus 273 degrees Celsius.... and nothing ANYWHERE in the Universe can get colder than that!
Brrr...
A degree in Kelvin is the same temperature interval as a degree in Celsius. More convenient to use the Kelvin scale in thermodynamic calculations, rather than Celsius or Fahrenheit... if you like doing that kind of thing .
________________________________________________________________________________________

Cheers, Mike, good info but it will go straight out of my head I'm afraid. I still work in degrees and the only thing I really know is that if it's 70 I'm usually warm enough!

O Ozone - Gas in the upper atmosphere which absorbs ultraviolet radiation and protects the Earth's surface from overheating. Ozone molecules contain three oxygen atoms, and ozone gas is quite toxic in high concentrations .

Last edited:
S Scattered showers - another term also often used by weather forecasters, and associated with rainbows too