A-Z Of Occupations | Vital Football

A-Z Of Occupations

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
What did you want to be when you grew up?!!!

Anything that anyone goes to work at/for

A Air Traffic Controller - to do this job I think you must have to be very confident and probably have nerves of steel!

Went on a school trip to see inside the air traffic control tower at Finningley when I was in junior school. Quite interesting seeing the radar screens, etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B Builder - eg "Bob the Builder" on children's tv. My nephew liked to sing the theme song when he was a toddler . I tried to get him to change the lyrics to "Gilles de Bilde, can he fix Wednesday? Gilles de Bilde, no he can't!"

Last edited:
C - Chiropodist - now usurped by the Podiatrist! A bio-mechanic podiatrist deals with problems of the feet and leg, often one causes the other.

At least one Millers ex-player and manager is a qualified chiropodist - Neil Warnock. I seem to remember that there is also another former Millers player, but can't recall who.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D Dentist - got an appointment to visit one tomorrow morning

Last edited:
I can't think of another Miller chiropodist - we shall have to try and find out!
I've got an dental appointment next week too.

E Editor - the one who must be obeyed on an newspaper.

G - Groundsman

Dave Fellowes, (who grew up in Rotherham) has in the past won awards for our pitch.

I I.T. (information technology) technician - Most large workplaces will have several and I have met quite a few over the years. Enthusiasm varies but often seems to peak when installing a new computer for you , especially if you haven't actually requested one, don't particularly need the old one upgrading , etc!

Last edited:
K Kitchen hand/superviser - in catering ....
or in USA "Kindergarten teacher" ie creche superviser/ pre-infant-school teacher to us

Last edited:
M Make-up artist - usually listed in closing credits of films and tv shows. Quite obvious what it means... unlike "best boy", "key grip", "gaffer", etc, which are also often included (think they are electrician-related roles)

Needed one recently - I have just had a new bath installed over the last few days.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q Quality control technician/analyst - could be environmental, water supply, food industry, manufacturing, etc.

R Researcher - for which the synopsis of the job is - Naturally curious, analytical, detail-oriented, ability to communicate well orally and in writing