A-Z Of British Actors And Actresses | Page 3 | Vital Football

A-Z Of British Actors And Actresses

I didn't know that about Norman Wisdom. BaldtobeaMiller does a brilliant impression of him - not the sex pest bit but the 'Ohhh Mr Grimsdale' bit.
Neither did I until I checked his Wiki page. My dad loved him but I think that's partly 'cos they were both in the Royal Signals in WW2 although I don't think they met.

O OLIVIA De Havilland - although to be honest she was born in Japan but took British Citizenship through descendants before become American in 1941 and French in 1955. She was 104 when she died a couple of years ago. (must have been all that paperwork changing from one nationality to another that kept her busy).
I loved her in Gone With the Wind and The Heiress. Her younger sister was Joan Fontaine and they had a very bad relationship.

R - Margaret Rutherford. First starred as Madame Arcati in Blithe Spirit then did lots of comedy films and three or four Miss Marple films.

S Alastair SIM - Scottish actor who played a wide range of roles in films and on stage. Serious roles, and comedy too (eg Belles of St. Trinians)

S Alastair SIM - Scottish actor who played a wide range of roles in films and on stage. Serious roles, and comedy too (eg Belles of St. Trinians)
Well done, Mike. A favourite actor of mine and I would have put him in as an alternate S. His Scrooge in A Christmas Carol was marvellous as was his serious role in An Inspector Calls.

R - Margaret Rutherford. First starred as Madame Arcati in Blithe Spirit then did lots of comedy films and three or four Miss Marple films.

I thought she was brilliant in Blithe Spirit - the new version is a very poor copy of the original.

Well done, Mike. A favourite actor of mine and I would have put him in as an alternate S. His Scrooge in A Christmas Carol was marvellous as was his serious role in An Inspector Calls.

One of the films I really like him in was 'An Inspector Calls'. Liked him in the St Trinian films too!

T - Terry Thomas - starred in the first film I ever saw at the pictures, Tom Thumb, if my memory serves me well.

T - Terry Thomas - starred in the first film I ever saw at the pictures, Tom Thumb, if my memory serves me well.
Yes, he played his trademark baddie role. Very sad how he ended up living on charity after all his money went on medical bills.

U - Peter Ustinov. Played Nero in Quo Vadis. Won an Oscar for his role in Spartacus and played Hercule Poirot in several films.

V Vanessa Redgrave - well-known actress from films , stage and tv. From a family that includes several other famous actors/actresses too. Once stood next to her on a demo .

Last edited:
V Vanessa Redgrave - well-known actress from films , stage and tv. From a family that includes several other famous actors/actressses too. Once stood next to her on a demo .
That is a claim to fame, Mike! By coincidence I watched her father last night in the film The Captive Heart.

Well, you live and learn. Never realised that the actress in The Captive Heart, Rachel Kempson, was married to Michael Redgrave and the mother of Vanessa!

U - Una Stubbs - Aunt Sally in the tv series Worzel Gummidge. In at least a couple of Clidff Richards films and so many others. Not sure if she is still alive.

W- Wilfred Bramble, Irish actor probably best known (to me, anyway) for his role in Steptoe and Son.